Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2014, 01:12 PM

17,603 posts, read 17,635,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
Simple solution: drive electric cars instead of cars with an internal combustion engine. We have a Nissan Leaf & it's soooooo quiet!
Or bicycles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2014, 01:32 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,164,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
factory spec vehicles are fairly quiet. Some people like loud mufflers to match their loud and obnoxious attitude.
Nah...just to keep away the noise from other mufflers

Old 05-04-2014, 01:37 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,164,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
Simple solution: drive electric cars instead of cars with an internal combustion engine. We have a Nissan Leaf & it's soooooo quiet!
Some people are complaining about electric cars being too quiet. It seems that pedestrians don't hear the noise of the vehicle when it's moving toward them. All they hear is the noise made by the impact

~Just kidding

On a serious note:
http://www.greencarreports.com/news/...latest-updates

Old 05-04-2014, 01:37 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,671,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
...CA is certainly responsible for some firsts regarding automobiles, but to make a blanket statement like you did, implying that everything originates in CA is simply false.

Okay Tex, I'm sorry. I just thought you were saying that everybody in CA drives a Prius.

Guess I need to learn to read...

Old 05-04-2014, 02:31 PM

2,458 posts, read 2,474,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
factory spec vehicles are fairly quiet. Some people like loud mufflers to match their loud and obnoxious attitude.
There's a lot of truth to this statement. Another reason is that people are slowly loosing their sense of hearing.

Old 05-04-2014, 02:51 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,578,434 times
Jacked up pickups with blinding HIDs and loud exhaust are common here in Alabama too unfortunately. The people that drive them like to floor it from a stop like they think they're driving a muscle car or something. Full size trucks drink enough gas, why deliberately try to make them drink more? I guess gas isn't high enough yet?

Old 05-04-2014, 06:43 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,673,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
LOL Really?

It took one tenth of a second to think of one, and that's jacked up 4x4 trucks. That's a TX thing all the way. Don't even attempt to argue that California started that. We've had that in TX (and most of the dirty South) for decades.

You also didn't bring drifting to the states either. That was actually FL that had that first. Nor were you first to add aftermarket "vents" to vehicles. That was a LA, MS thing, til brands like Cadillac started designing their cars that way.

You were probably in the running for rat tires due to the hispanic population there, but I'm pretty sure we had it first in TX.

Anything else?
I doubt that Texas even had internal combustion engines when the glass pack was invented. The jacked 4X4 was invented in Michigan by the US Army during WWI, but they became really popular in Texas because there weren't any roads there back then. The habit hung on because the tires make adequate flotation devices during floods. Texans can lasso a passing cow for a tow back to land.

Old 05-04-2014, 08:34 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,090,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Texans can lasso a passing cow for a tow back to land.
LOL It's part of the driving test here, and is taken after Cow Tipping 101.

Old 05-05-2014, 08:08 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,284,018 times
Hmmm. I'm gonna build another loud V8 car just to **** off the OP and people like them.

As much as I like the quiet luxury sound of the silence of the Volt, I miss the V8 rumble of my Mustang GT with the aftermarket exhaust and the ripping V8 sound of my BMW 740 with the muffler delete. Maybe I'll put a V8 with flowmasters in my '63 Comet instead of the built I6...

Old 05-05-2014, 09:29 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,169,054 times
'No one is taking care of noise pollution caused by vehicles'.

Good. We shouldn't pass laws to outlaw things just because they annoy people. It's too slippery a slope.

Mike
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive