Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2014, 04:59 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,013,844 times

Advertisements

I have 5 stripped nuts between two tires, a bunch of the rest were put on way too tight last time I had a rotation done.

What's it typically cost to get these cut off and repaired? Friend who was going to replace the breaks for me figured $200 (not for him to do it, he's just helping out with the breaks).

I figured I'd call the place I normally take my car (that did this) and see if I could leverage having them fix the **** up. A couple of them are totally stripped, not much left.

Sunday and they're closed so curious. I've had to put in a new catalytic converter, new spark plugs, spark plug housings, transmission pan, transmission lines, and just waiting on the breaks now for this month. New tires shortly...

Forgot about the O2 sensor...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2014, 05:07 PM

4,625 posts, read 12,287,540 times
If just the nuts are strip you get new ones. If the lug studs are stripped it depends on design and the time it takes. Some may even require replacement of the hub assembly. Without knowing what kind of vehicle it cannot be answered.

This is why a tire shop will never be allowed to touch my toys period! I can do my own rotation myself, and I take my wheels down when I get new tires.

Old 05-04-2014, 05:08 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
Are you talking lug nuts or the studs? I'm assuming you mean the studs. They are relatively easy to do. Hammer the old one. Put new one through the back of the hub. Stack some washers on the outside threaded portion of the stud and then use the lug nut to tighten it. The tightening will set/pull the stud splines through the hole in the hub. You can use a electric impact if you don't have air.

Old 05-04-2014, 05:09 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,154,100 times
year/make/model/wheel location (F or R) goes a long way towards quantifying the situation.

the wheel studs may be readily replaceable and the stripped nuts easily removable with proper tools

the job may be trivial, it may be more involved ... but all depends upon the condition and access to the wheel studs on your car. It's possible that only the nuts are stripped and the studs are OK. Nobody knows until the wheels are off the car.

Old 05-04-2014, 05:20 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,013,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
year/make/model/wheel location (F or R) goes a long way towards quantifying the situation.

the wheel studs may be readily replaceable and the stripped nuts easily removable with proper tools

the job may be trivial, it may be more involved ... but all depends upon the condition and access to the wheel studs on your car. It's possible that only the nuts are stripped and the studs are OK. Nobody knows until the wheels are off the car.
2006/Jeep/Liberty Renegade Drive side front and rear.

Old 05-04-2014, 06:20 PM

4,625 posts, read 12,287,540 times
It appears you have a newer removable front hub vehicle. It may be cheaper to attempt to remove and replace just the stud, or the entire unit is about $100 if you do it yourself.

I'm not sure about the rear, so maybe somebody else can chime in here.

Old 05-04-2014, 08:01 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,154,100 times
Both front and rear stud replacement is relatively easy on this car.

Remove the front disc rotor or the rear drum, hammer the studs back out of the hubs, and seat the new studs with a new nut and spacer using an impact wrench.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive