Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 08:11 PM

408 posts, read 997,033 times

Advertisements

Have you been to rally race before?

I was thinking of going with a group of friends to the Ojibwe Forest Rally, mostly out of curiosity, but also because it just seems pretty cool! It's also only eight or so hours away, so it'd be a memorable getaway from the city.
Ojibwe Forest Rally

What rally race did you attend? How was it? What did you do, besides watch the race?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2014, 09:55 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
I drove or navigated in a few, in New Brunswick, but I wasn't very good at it. I was competing, among others, against Garry Sowerby, who was Tim Cahill's companion in his classic 23-day drive from Tierra del Fuego to the North Slope of Alaska,, described in "Road Fever"..

Last edited by jtur88; 05-07-2014 at 10:06 PM..

Old 05-07-2014, 10:32 PM

3,963 posts, read 5,693,023 times
I've been to quitea few European WRC events and I've considered building a rally car. It seems like a lot of fun.

Old 05-08-2014, 08:20 AM

19,113 posts, read 25,309,475 times
Many years ago, I was the navigator for a nighttime Road Rally along country roads in northern NJ/southern NY state.

My friend was driving us in his Triumph TR-3, but neither of us really knew what we were doing, and after it became clear that we were totally lost, we just dropped out of the competition.

Old 05-08-2014, 08:47 AM

675 posts, read 644,417 times
When I was a kid in the 80's, I was obsessed with catching all sorts of motorsport on TV. But I especially enjoyed when Dave Despain's Motorweek Illustrated or Bob Jenkin's/Larry Nuber's Speedweek would have some more grassrootsy motorsports clips, such as showroom stock or SCCA rally. I found the cars fascinating, as well as the personalities.

I was kind of bummed when the SCCA stopped with the national rallies, and I guess sold that off to Rally America (or however that works). But RA seems to be doing a good job with this stuff. Their 8-stop national series is on NBCSN now, so I can actually watch it on the tube.

I've never been to a rally, and never really understood how spectator accomodations worked. But I do want to go to the Oregon Trail Rally some year soon. They have a parc expose (yay, I'm learning terms) in Downtown Portland, and a stage at PIR, IIRC. Looks very well set up.

I do notice that most of these drivers use cars that are several years old (including a guy that has a Saab 96 [?] that apparently tops out at 45mph [but hey, it's fun!]). I would love to eaither see WRC come back to the US for a round (they had the Olympus for a couple years back in the 80's, IIRC), or see a more elite division within RA where it would be more normal for cars to be replaced every year.

But all in all, it seems very well run. I wish my MO relatives lived closer to Salem .

Old 05-08-2014, 09:29 AM

231 posts, read 381,770 times
I have driven and crewed for some of the grassroots rally teams out of Southern California. I also run some of the local rally cross events. They are fun to watch. I have never been to the Ojibwe but I hear great things about it.

Old 05-09-2014, 08:28 AM

2,743 posts, read 4,823,956 times
There is a huge spectrum of car rallying. From high-end pro down to weekend country drivers just having fun.

Check out the The Sports Car Club of America - Home in your local area.

I used to do it quite a bit and had a great time in my "normal", car, drove some really pretty countrysides, safely, and it didn't cost much more than gas, (and lodging for overnights).

Old 05-09-2014, 12:06 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,553 posts, read 81,085,957 times
I actually won first place in my class at the British Week Car Rally in San Francisco back in 1970. Still have the trophy handed to me by Jackie Stewart. I had a 1967 Cortina GT and was competing with Jaguars and Rovers mostly. Lots of fun to drive in but didn't seem that great to watch, in fact the spectators were pretty much at the start and finish only, very few along the routes.

Old 05-09-2014, 05:53 PM

4,856 posts, read 5,817,545 times
I want to go to one, I really want to compete in one.

Old 05-12-2014, 11:38 AM

231 posts, read 381,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxRhapsody View Post
I want to go to one, I really want to compete in one.
Check out your local SCCA website. You can run an SCCA RallyCross event in a grocery getter or rental and see how much fun driving in the dirt really is without fear of flying off a cliff or smashing into a tree.

If you really want to run stage rally check out a rally school first. The plan on buying a used rally car rather than building your first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive