Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2015, 06:15 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,535,277 times

Advertisements

My SIL has a 2013 Subaru Outback with the CVT. I've driven it briefly a couple of times and have to say in that limited experience the CVT worked flawlessly. She's had no issues with it and is very pleased with the vehicle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2015, 06:59 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,989,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Baustian View Post
The OP expressed an interest in either the Forester or Outback. Some Foresters are still available with a 6-speed manual transmission, but the Outback is not.

I'd skip any Subaru if you plan on keeping it.
Yes, some people have good luck with any car.
But I have heard too many horror stories with older Subaru's.

Example:
My neighbor bought a manual transmission Subaru. The manual transmission quit at 70,000 miles. Not the clutch - the manual transmission. And he drives conservatively - no kids - adult driven.

Another neighbor had a Subaru bought new - another conservative driving person - no kids - and at the 7 year mark with less then 100,000 miles all of the "joints" or "boots" or whatever in the suspension went bad. High estimate to fix all. She sold it. And moved on.

That's just two. There are other maintenance issues with others I know.

I'd also skip the CVT. The jury is still out for these over the long term.

Old 06-07-2015, 07:08 AM

16,759 posts, read 8,212,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider7811 View Post
I also would avoid a CVT transmission. I do not like the shiftless feel. Also I wonder if anyone has driven over 150K without a rebuilt / replacement. I did have a customer with a Dodge Caliber that had close to 200k on his car. I don't recall if he had transmission problems, as I do recall him liking the car. I thought it was odd as so few people liked the Caliber.
I have a 2011 Caliber with the CVT II. It runs great gets 35mpg at 70mph on highway and around 30 in town. Biggest change is the Timing belt has been changed from belt to chain by FCA. No need to go into engine for change.

Overall good car. Seems to go through tires. 99K and purchased second set, trying Michelin Defenders to see if higher mileage will last longer then 40k miles.

Old 06-07-2015, 04:06 PM

3,106 posts, read 3,990,697 times
Subaru is the only CVT I would ever buy. I chose not to, but had I done so, I would have been comfortable. They even use them issue-free in their diesels.

Old 06-08-2015, 01:54 PM

865 posts, read 2,161,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
I have a 2011 Caliber with the CVT II. It runs great gets 35mpg at 70mph on highway and around 30 in town. Biggest change is the Timing belt has been changed from belt to chain by FCA. No need to go into engine for change.

Overall good car. Seems to go through tires. 99K and purchased second set, trying Michelin Defenders to see if higher mileage will last longer then 40k miles.
I nearly bought a Jeep Patriot a few years ago. Same thing as a Caliber. I did not because the owners manual had timing belt listed as a service item.

Turns out the engine has a timing chain. Their misprint cost them a sale!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive