Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2014, 11:06 AM

8,131 posts, read 4,327,299 times

Advertisements

Accord, Camry, Fusion, Legacy, Malibu, Mazda 6, Passat or Sonata? I'm talking about the smoothest and quietest ride. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2014, 12:02 PM

414 posts, read 931,121 times
I'd consider the Camry, Malibu, and Passat as well as possibly the Ford Taurus, Ford Fusion, Buick Regal, and Buick Lacrosse.

Certainly some Lexus models out there would fit the bill, but based on what you picked, I'm guessing your budget is more moderate.

Old 05-10-2014, 01:36 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,860,718 times
Best riding or best driving? Go with the Camry or American makes if you like soft and quiet. Go with the Accord or Mazda6 if you enjoy a car that handles well. You hear and feel the road more in a car that is better connected to it.

To each his own.

Old 05-10-2014, 01:58 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,131,339 times
By coincidence, I was looking at sound level data last year and it looks like Car and Driver measure them only when they do comparo testing:

Sound level (db) at Idle, Full Throttle, and 70mph

'14 Mazda6: 43-81-68
'13 Acccord EXL: 42-80-69
'13 Fusion SE: 40-71-67
'13 Altima: 38-75-69
'12 Passat: 39-73-69
'12 Camry SE: 38-72-69
'12 Sonata SE: 39-73-69
'13 Malibu Eco: 43-73-64 (with those quiet, low-rolling resistance tires!)

and just to compare,

'13 Avalon: 39-76-69

Old 05-10-2014, 02:19 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,228,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tillman7 View Post
Accord, Camry, Fusion, Legacy, Malibu, Mazda 6, Passat or Sonata? I'm talking about the smoothest and quietest ride. Any suggestions?
I have recently test driven a lot of mid-sized sedans as I am looking for one to replace my '12 Civic.

So far, I have driven: Camry LE & XLE 4-cyl, Accord EX 4-cyl, Passat SE 4-cyl, Malibu 1LT 4-cyl, Verano 4-cyl and Impala 2LT V6 (with the last two mentioned being smaller (Verano) or larger (Impala) than mid-size.

Of those, I think that the '14 Chevy Malibu has been one of the smoothest riding and despite being a smaller car, the Buick Verano as well. I didn't take the other cars on anything other than a smoother road, so I am not too sure, but I know they all had a smooth ride, much better than my Civic.

I didn't even try the '14 Sonata because it has only a marginal IIHS small overlap rating. I still plan on driving a Fusion and the Accord and Camry again. I am not a Mazda fan, so not even going to try the Mazda 6. I wish that the new Legacy and Sonata would be released, I am sure will be good IIHS small overlap performers. I would love to have the '15 Genesis, but I don't think my budget will allow. lol.

Old 05-10-2014, 02:21 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,460,466 times
"Best Riding" is as always a personal choice. The db figures do not tell the whole story. "Best Riding" cannot be measured or quantified. I would test drive and see by myself. Even the choice of tires can be significant.

Old 05-10-2014, 02:51 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,228,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tillman7 View Post
Best riding to me is a soft and supple ride and one that absorbs bumps and not jitters and jolts you all over the place even on smooth roads.

Old 05-10-2014, 06:28 PM

1,996 posts, read 4,770,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseestorm View Post
Best riding to me is a soft and supple ride and one that absorbs bumps and not jitters and jolts you all over the place even on smooth roads.
Yup I love a soft ride myself. Some people like hard riding, precise handling, super fast cars which is fine since I like fast cars as well, but I wouldn't enjoy being jarred to death going to and from work everyday on these horrible California streets in sports tuned suspension. My ass would hate me!

Speaking of mid size cars, I plan on renting a 13-14 Ford Fusion for memorial day weekend for a few days as I am heading up to Vegas again. I specifically said to the guy at Enterprise, "Hey I want a Fusion ok, no Altima", so hopefully he'll reserve a Fusion as I really want to test that car out.

The Fusion has gotten such high remarks on it's ride quality (it's wheelbase is 112 inches, which is a good size for a smooth comfortable ride), interior quality, big interior, being extremely quiet inside, smooth and soft over bumps and potholes yet it handles like a sports car. So we'll see how the rental goes.

Ford reliability is still iffy when it comes to the Ecoboost engines, but at the same time they all have shown to be quite powerful in a small package. I am excited for the new Chrysler 200, it's looks like Chryslers finally stepping up it's game in this segment and they do offer some nice packages that cost less than the other brands and a car that actually looks really nice and luxurious for a midsizer.

But still, Chrysler's are still having problems, electrically, and with that new 9 speed trans. Their reliability record has always been suspect.

Old 05-10-2014, 06:47 PM

1,037 posts, read 3,162,472 times
Buy a Toyota and take a nap.

Old 05-10-2014, 07:25 PM

414 posts, read 931,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxis View Post
Buy a Toyota and take a nap.
This is so damned sad, but also very true....I remember when Toyota actually DID make fun to drive cars!

My '93 MR2 was a blast! The Supra and Celica were cool cars as well.

Funny that Toyota FINALLY has realized that they have a "boring car" stigma and have resorted to desperate moves like using the Muppets in their "We ain't got time for boring" Highlander commercials and the commercials featuring a red Camry with the emphasis on being it's exciting to drive or whatever ::YAWN::

Now, we have the redesigned 2015 Camry with a sporty front end? Can't wait to see the commercials for these! LMAO!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive