Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2014, 11:08 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
The reason they are informing their employees on the eligibility of government subsidy programs IS to keep their wages low. Walmart could give a f about their employees. Wanna know why? Because its a menial labor job and that type of labor pool is easily replaceable. So they keep their wages low and let the government subsidize the rest.
But hey with the low labor wages they get to slash prices so the American public can keep buying cheap Chinese junk. And as a bonus they can put other businesses out of business.

Social security? Is not a hand out. Its something you pay into throughout your working life. It's basically a forced savings account not a hand out. And everyone who has worked in US and paid into SS can apply and get it at the proper age and it's all based on how much you put in/worked. I would much rather not contribute and take that money and invest it as I see fit.

As for me using Walmart for auto services I simply don't.
Why not just elect political candidates who are in favor of a higher minimum wage that will force WalMart to pay the wages you want them to pay. Isn't it funny how so many people think there ought to not be any public benefits, and at the same time want to abolish the minimum wage entirely, and also eliminate Social Security. I invite your comments about that general political and economic philosophy, balancing those factors.

SS is not based on how much you put in or worked, is is based on how little employers were allowed to pay you, and many retires on SS still quality for public benefits besides.

Of course Walmart can give a f about their employees. Mt Walton did not go into business in order to altruistically get workers off welfare, he went into business to make money, applying classical capitalist models, and there is no better example on earth of the free enterprise system doing what it does best. WalMart's profits and wages are regulated by the marketplace. Do you think they ought to be regulated by somebody else, and if so, whom, and how?

Last edited by jtur88; 05-11-2014 at 11:19 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2014, 11:32 AM

4,625 posts, read 12,295,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Why not just elect political candidates who are in favor of a higher minimum wage that will force WalMart to pay the wages you want them to pay. Isn't it funny how so many people think there ought to not be any public benefits, and at the same time want to abolish the minimum wage entirely, and also eliminate Social Security. I invite your comments about that general political and economic philosophy, balancing those factors.
I haven't heard anyone in this thread call for the elimination of SS. Whether minimum wage is increase or not why can't Walmart do the right thing like a company like Costco?
Quote:
SS is not based on how much you put in or worked, is is based on how little employers were allowed to pay you, and many retires on SS still quality for public benefits besides.
Incorrect sir, it is based on your earnings, and years worked with various other caveats calculated into the formula. I've paid in for 35 years and am fully qualified when I reach the appropriate age.
It is a shame that some qualify for aid that are on SS, and corporations like Walmart paying such low wages will only compound this problem in the future.
Quote:
Of course Walmart can give a f about their employees. Mt Walton did not go into business in order to altruistically get workers off welfare, he went into business to make money, applying classical capitalist models, and there is no better example on earth of the free enterprise system doing what it does best. WalMart's profits and wages are regulated by the marketplace. Do you think they ought to be regulated by somebody else, and if so, whom, and how?
I've heard that Sam Walton was a fair man, and took care of his people, and things have changed since he stepped aside.

Old 05-11-2014, 11:42 AM

2,062 posts, read 2,549,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Has anyone ever used their local Walmart Auto Center for basic maintenance care like oil change, new tire installation, new battery, change fluids, spark plugs, etc?

They offer reasonable prices for some of the basic services and I would assume they would use qualified mechanics.

Any opinions?
Well most get just basic training and can make mistakes while still learning, but still others will come to the job with a lot of knowledge from their work other places and do a good job. The answer is it depends on the employee.

Old 05-11-2014, 12:03 PM

471 posts, read 977,430 times
I actually had an employee refuse to sell me tires because I would not buy the extended warranty. He thought he could pressure me into it and get a dollar or two commission, since I was already there, but I just smiled, left, and got my tires elsewhere.

But it is a truly sad statement of America that Wal Mart and a few other retail giants would rather treat their employees as so much cheap toilet paper, and prefer all part timers who get no benefits or a living wage and still have to agree to work any hour, any shift, and any day under threat of hour elimination....or worse. The rumors abound about employees who fall asleep from exhaustion during their 3 minute break or complain to the boss, and then wake up with a scar and some mystery pain where one of their kidneys once was!

Does anyone realize that paying employees next to nothing creates a consumer class that can only to afford to pay the same for what they buy?

Old 05-11-2014, 12:21 PM

861 posts, read 1,336,181 times
I hate giving Walmart any business but they only charge $3 for check cashing. Others charge $20-50.

Old 05-11-2014, 12:25 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post

Incorrect sir, it is based on your earnings, and years worked with various other caveats calculated into the formula.
That's exactly what I said. It is based on what you employer got away with paying you (laughably called "earnings"), not how much work you did or how well you did it or now much pay that work deserved or benefited yur employer. If I worked for a company that payidme $15 and hour and you worked for WalMart for $10 an hour for doing the same job, do you think we will get the same SS benefit?

Do not call me "incorrect" unless I am incorrect and you can back up your opinion to the contrary.

Old 05-11-2014, 12:31 PM

4,625 posts, read 12,295,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
That's exactly what I said. It is based on what you employer got away with paying you (aka "earnings"), not how much work you did or now much pay that work deserved. If I worked for a company that pays me $15 and hour and you worked for WalMart for $10 an hour for doing the same job, do you think we will get the same SS benefit?

Do not call me "incorrect" unless I am incorrect and you can back up your opinion to the contrary.
What you said:
Quote:
SS is not based on how much you put in or worked
It is incorrect because it is based on a percentage you, and your employer contribute.

Old 05-11-2014, 01:21 PM

4,329 posts, read 7,235,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Batteries and tires should be OK to get at WMT, but there are better places to go that don't treat their employees like disposable paper towels. Plus, most every place will price match. The thing is, WMT usually carries cheap batteries, so you might not save any money in the long run by shopping at WMT. On tires, I prefer to go to Discount tires (DT). DT charges slightly more per tire for installation ($4 more), but offers free rotations for life, repairs flats for free, and they are knowledgeable.
I think the batteries at Walmart are as good as anybody else's, since there are only about three companies that make auto batteries for the U.S. retail market. Walmart doesn't make their batteries, just as Sears doesn't make the Die Hard. Batteries are the only thing I've had done at a Walmart auto center. Replacing batteries isn't exactly rocket science. I'm going on 4 years with my current battery from Walmart.

Like you, I go to Discount Tire for tire work. I used to go to the dealer for oil changes, since they always seemed to have coupons or specials that were hard to beat. Downside was that oil changes were always a 2-3 hour wait. Didn't matter what day of the week, or what time of day. I quit going there for oil changes when they moved from their 25-year old facility, to a splendid new complex about 15 miles farther away. Not going to drive that distance, and then wait an additional three hours for an oil change. I go to a quick-lube type place now, at least I get to watch them from the big picture window in the waiting room, and I'm usually on my way in less than 30 minutes.

The discussion about Walmart's meager wages has me wondering: Do national competitors, like Target and K-mart, pay better?

Old 05-11-2014, 01:31 PM

805 posts, read 1,872,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
The discussion about Walmart's meager wages has me wondering: Do national competitors, like Target and K-mart, pay better?
And what about Amazon.com ?? My lefty friends love Amazon but hate Walmart, but those Amazon warehouse workers seem to have a very tough job.

Would be nice to read a Walmart employee post their own view.

Old 05-11-2014, 01:49 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,262,817 times
Quote:
I think the batteries at Walmart are as good as anybody else's, since there are only about three companies that make auto batteries for the U.S. retail market. Walmart doesn't make their batteries, just as Sears doesn't make the Die Hard. Batteries are the only thing I've had done at a Walmart auto center. Replacing batteries isn't exactly rocket science. I'm going on 4 years with my current battery from Walmart.
I had to take a friend to WMT for a battery at like 3AM and at that time they only had cheap batteries. Granted, batteries are relabeled and sold, but just like rebranded cars aren't the same quality, batteries aren't all the same quality. It could be a regional thing though.

Quote:
Like you, I go to Discount Tire for tire work. I used to go to the dealer for oil changes, since they always seemed to have coupons or specials that were hard to beat. Downside was that oil changes were always a 2-3 hour wait. Didn't matter what day of the week, or what time of day. I quit going there for oil changes when they moved from their 25-year old facility, to a splendid new complex about 15 miles farther away. Not going to drive that distance, and then wait an additional three hours for an oil change. I go to a quick-lube type place now, at least I get to watch them from the big picture window in the waiting room, and I'm usually on my way in less than 30 minutes.
Yeah, that's way too long. The dealer I go to usually has the oil change completed within 20 minutes, but they only service a few brands and I bring my oil so that might be why it's so quick.

Quote:
Doubtful. Those companies don't force the employees to work off the clock though (AFAIK).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive