Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2014, 07:13 PM

279 posts, read 354,018 times

Advertisements

I wanted an SUV that would be used and abused, but still get me to work following it's workout.
In 2005 I bought a Nissan Xterra. It currently has 285,000 miles on it. It's overall appearance is still acceptable, it's gas mileage has stayed about the same ( 18mpg or so ... ), I've changed the struts, and shocks, and replaced a fuel tank, a windshield once or twice, tires about 6 times, and a radiator. A lot of it's miles are highway, but half are off the beaten track miles. ( maybe more like off of pavement ).
I looked for another vehicle to replace it, and I looked at just about everything.
I chose a 2014 Xterra.
Go figure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2014, 07:58 PM

44,257 posts, read 64,046,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Are these serious posts...?

Physics is physics. Moving a vehicle takes energy. An average sedan runs 3,000-3,500 lbs these days. An average SUV runs 3,500 lbs and up (most tip the scale at 4,000 lbs or so). SUVs are heavier than cars. A cars weight is the primary factor in the city MPG number. Given that SUVs are heavier, the car will take less energy (thus...gas) to move.

The second component is highway driving. Highway efficiency is based on drag, which is a function of the vehicle's shape and frontal area. SUVs sit higher, therefore have larger frontal area which is more drag (again, more gas).

Opinions do not trump physics.

And if you want to do comparisons.. my car gets 26 in the city and 38 on the highway. Good luck finding an SUV that matches that mileage.
I can only assume from your posts that English is not your first language.

Big fat duh that if you drop identical engines into two vehicles of different size, weight, etc, the mileage may vary.

But I said MY cars do not get as good gas mileage as my SUV.
And there are MANY cars that get incredibly sh*tty gas mileage.
And some SUVs that get good mileage.

I can talk slower and louder if that helps.

Old 05-15-2014, 08:00 PM

44,257 posts, read 64,046,055 times
Mazda CX5 is about the same as your car, BTW. 26/35. And not a hybrid.

Old 05-15-2014, 08:07 PM

747 posts, read 1,238,003 times
We are considering a Crossover.

Considering Mazda CX5 AWD, Subaru Outback, Ford Escape

Old 05-15-2014, 08:33 PM

19 posts, read 69,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
I presently have a 2005 Ford Escape (110K miles) and my wife drives a 2009 Suzuki Gran Vitara (36K miles). I like SUV's and my next purchase will more then likely be another SUV. Only issue is the down sizing of vehicles that has been going on. As an example, the new Escape is small compared to mine so I would probably need to go to an Explorer to get the same size vehicle. I drive about 8K miles a year so fuel consumption is not an issue for me.
What? Vehicles are up-sizing! Compare practically any model of any make. Look at Subaru - they've turned the Outback and Forrester wagons into Crossovers/SUVs. The VW Jetta gets bigger every new generation, as do Hondas, Toyotas, etc.

The 3rd gen Ford Escape is over 3 inches longer than the the 2005 model, 3 inches longer wheelbase, and 2 inches wider, but the 2005 was around 3 inches taller. The latest ones are also heavier.

Old 05-15-2014, 08:40 PM

526 posts, read 894,739 times
after always driving SUV style cars, I was wanting a car - with a trunk! DH made sure I got another SUV (CRV)....I've excepted my fate of always driving one

Old 05-16-2014, 07:39 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,616,808 times
Agree...the MPG of my 4Runner is far better than one of my cars.

Also it has required far fewer replacement parts routine maintence wise...appproaching 160k and only have had to replace the front brake pads once (rear still origional) and will be on my 3ed set of tires on Sunday, windshield wiper blades have been replaced a number of times also but that's it.

I've NEVER had a car that wouldn't have been on its third full set of brakes by 150K

Also tires aren't twice as expensive...they are less than the tires were on the Solara I traded in and FAR cheaper than some other low profile car tires out there.

Old 05-16-2014, 08:04 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,353,618 times
Quote:
N]] I'd wager 9 out of 10 Americans never need to use the "ground clearance" of an SUV on a consistent basis. How often does the average American family drive off-road?
Many people choose the SUV because it's higher off the ground...but it's not for off-roading. It's for something they do every single time they drive the vehicle...get in and out of the vehicle.

When you have a car, it's usually lower to the ground and this makes most people have to sit down lower when they get into a car...and it's hard to get out of a vehicle that's lower to the ground...you have to push up as you are getting out of a car.

I got rid of my car and got an SUV. I sometimes felt 80 years old getting out of that little car. And about once per year I would hit my head in that little car. With the SUV, it's very easy to get in/out of the vehicle. Actually, that was a deciding factor in getting a SUV over a car. And the SUV gets better MPG than that little compact car.

Old 05-17-2014, 09:54 AM

10,915 posts, read 31,243,414 times
I don't foresee leaving SUVs out of my garage in the future, though I do have other vehicles than SUVs. That's despite getting an EPA 12/17 (premium), which in the real world is about 15, not terribly bad for the size and capability that the SUV offers, especially as it is reliable and safe in addition to having the ability to transport people and cargo.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 07-03-2014, 12:38 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,295,459 times
Quote:
What does an SUV do that a hatchback or pick up truck doesn't do better?

Hatchbacks have the same cargo room and better fuel economy, pick up trucks have more utility, power, and towing capacity.

SUV's are pointless in my opinion. Living in the snowbelt, people here seem to love them. That seems to be a pretty crappy reason to buy one.. as a basic car with snow tires does perfectly fine in North America's worst winter conditions.
Not always

SUV's sit up higher off the ground, and that's clearance you sometimes need when going thru snow for sure.

I can't sit in a regular car anymore without feeling very vulnerable. My head seems to be right at the perfect height for some bigger vehicle to smash it like a pumpkin, even with good air bags.

Currently trying to decide between the Highlander, the Venza, the Santa Fe Sport and the Subaru Outback myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive