Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 05:39 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,853,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
Just a note to the OP, my Camry has WAY more room than a Rav4 so if you have dogs an SUV is not always best. I had a friend who had a Camry station wagon which might work for you.
I disagree with adventur on this point. I have two Great Danes, and an SUV has always fit their tongue lolling, waggly tail, and equipment needs better than a car. OTOH, their height makes them rather an exception in the canine kingdom, thus an SUV helps them fit a lot better in the car. On the cheap SUV front, I drove a 2003 Hyundai Santa Fe that I got for $7K for three years but it didn't get the kind of gas mileage you're wanting. I'd rather have the 6cyl than better gas mileage, however.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2014, 10:36 AM

49 posts, read 88,955 times
Wow, thanks for all the replies, have already begun to research based on your suggestions! Our dogs are 85 lb, 75 lb, and 20 lb, so we'd really like to give them some roaming room. And I'm not too worried about only having 4 cylinders - we have an F-150 as our primary, so we've got the power covered when needed!

Old 05-12-2014, 11:31 AM

3,373 posts, read 9,150,561 times
Is a Jetta Wagon too small?

You can find diesel wagon for under 8k and get over 41 mpg.

Old 05-12-2014, 11:35 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,025,835 times
I really wouldn't be letting the dogs roam in the vehicle. If you even only have to stop short, they can become flying torpedoes - especially the 20 lb. I anchor my 52 pound cur to the seatbelt so if I have to stop short, the seatbelt tightens. It gives her enough room to change position without becoming an airborn missile - or getting hurt herself. Use a harness, don't connect her from seatbelt to her collar.

She has more than enough room in my little Sportage even with 4 adults in the vehicle. I've also stuck her in the back with rescues in carriers and groceries and adults. It's amazing how much room there is in the tiniest of the SUVs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive