Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 07:44 AM

28,868 posts, read 14,232,275 times

Advertisements

Absolutley ! Mine was a 1973 Plymouth 340 Duster. Bright yellow , black stripes, black interior. Was a little more rare than some, it had bucket seats, center console and a rare option, a fold down rear seat.
I so miss that car !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2014, 11:37 AM

3,752 posts, read 11,452,588 times
Yes, I would take it back in an instant.
69 Camaro, 327v8...

Old 08-30-2014, 11:12 AM

91 posts, read 99,725 times
First car was an '89 Chevy Beretta GT. Had the 2.8L V6 and a slipping slushbox. Bought it for $450 and within a few months of having it, the water pump croaked and I couldn't keep a job so I couldn't fix it. I ended up cutting my losses and scrapping it. I wouldn't want that car (or any domestic) again.

Old 08-30-2014, 03:52 PM

24,451 posts, read 33,116,977 times
Yes, I would like to own my former '66 Dodge Dart GT V-8 again. If it was in the same condition when I stopped driving it regularly. The 273-cu-in engine was rugged and reliable, as was the 3-speed Torqueflite automatic transmission w/B & M shift kit. I did most of the modifications myself... 500 AFB Carter carb., aluminum Holley intake manifold, unsilenced air cleaner, dual exhaust, electronic ignition and a 3.23 axle ratio replacing the original 2.93s. I would do 40-60 mph in 4 seconds. 2nd gear was good to 75 mph.

Old 08-30-2014, 10:16 PM

1,588 posts, read 2,514,580 times
1979 BMW 320i... good luck finding one in drivable condition let alone in desirable condition. The E21 was BMWs least desirable chassis. That said I used to hoon the crap out of that baby. 4 speed manual with a clutch like a truck. Crazy long throws and 0-60 in about.... 15 seconds?

I would not want my first car back.
I can think of about 1000 cars I'd rather have.

Although, I can't say I didn't have fun terrorizing Eastern Oregon with import cars. We had a stupid little import car club.... well, we thought it was cool. It consisted of cars no one ever wanted. My best friend had a 77' 924, my other best friend had a Datsun 510 coupe, Our friend who was all the envy had a 5 year-old e30 325i convertible.. he didn't really hang out with us too much, I don't blame him.

We used to jump railroad tracks and see how fast we could take the 90 degree corner right after them. Oddly enough my car had 30 more horses than both. at...125 hp lol.

One day all 3 of us were in my car and jumped the railroad tracks at about 75 mph, but when we landed the car came down harder than usual and it sound like something had really broken. I hit the brake pedal.. Nothing.... so I pulled the e-brake..... yeah.... well, I remember looking at the field and then sky field sky field sky field then boom uuuhhh ouuuuuch and then the smell of gasoline. We were all still conscious and felt fine, we got out and realized we had just cheated death. Being 16, we started laughing like bevis and butthead... huh hu that was cool. (It wasn't, we almost died.)

We walked back to get see if one of the other cars could tow the bimmer out. It had landed on its wheels. but it was too far off the road. A truck pulls up with an old farmer in it cussing out telling us the sheriff was on the way and the we were going to pay for his damaged crops and blah blah blah. My friends stayed and did not bail.... something friends don't do anymore. We all took the rap and all paid the farmer. My friends even helped me find extra jobs so that I could get money faster.

The car was totaled, I couldn't drive until I saved up enough to buy a new car. My friends and I were pedestrian and cautious from then on.... naaaa who am I kidding, we went right back to doing the same stupid stuff.

Last edited by AndyAMG; 08-30-2014 at 10:18 PM.. Reason: yes

Old 08-30-2014, 10:56 PM

656 posts, read 1,332,652 times
1989 Ford Crown Victoria police interceptor. Loved that car... especially the spotlight. Used to run through the bad parts of Jackson (Mississippi), shine the light on the sidewalks, and watch the pimps, hookers, and pushers all scatter like jumping beans. We kept low while we did this, of course.

And when the muffler fell off, had to do a little bit of hillbilly engineering to give myself a pipe... hindsight is always 20/20, and I probably should've tried to include the muffler in that repair... had a car chase or two from people trying to chase me down after my exhaust cracked glass on their cars.

No, I don't want that car again.

Old 08-31-2014, 01:17 AM

1,653 posts, read 2,291,620 times
Yes, it was an 83' Cadillac Coupe DeVille that my Dad gave me. Sadly I know it was stripped and sold for scrap.

Old 08-31-2014, 01:35 AM

5,624 posts, read 6,799,507 times
First car was a 96 Monte Carlo. I would like to have it as a second car now. It was my grandmas and I should have taken better care of it.

Old 08-31-2014, 02:09 AM

21,599 posts, read 24,739,140 times
No.

1992 Passat. Funny to drive for what it was, definitely. I inherited from my mom. The mechanic more than once told her she should just buy the old Ferrari he was restoring as it would be cheaper in the long run. Had it for about six months before a friend was driving it and was t-boned by a drunk who was apparently intending on driving into the house in front of him. Biggest favor a drunk driver could ever do for someone.

Old 09-24-2014, 02:58 PM

5,228 posts, read 15,186,199 times
Not my first car (Iv'e got the updated version of it now) but a significant car from my youth, my old Daytona Spyder replica that I built in '85 to show off my custom body shop's fabrication ability. It came up for sale on ebay this past week and I got to talk to the current owner.

Replica Kit Makes | eBay

I built this car in '85-86, and had some unique touches, which is how I identified it initially. Then I found an old registration card and the VIN matched. The dash is all custom, using the Fiat 124 glovebox knob to make the glovebox work (most replicas do not have a functional glovebox). The dash has a unique layout of gauges, including the one located below the instrument cluster on the right side. On the brushed aluminum, there are 3 warning lights arranged diagonally upwards, including the high beam indicator. The turn signal indicators, instead of being arrows or circles at the edges of the instrument cluster, are custom drilled circled of decreasing size as they go outwards. No other Daytona has this. The center of the dash has the Corvette heater/vent controls mounted vertically. The door panels and seats have been customized in the 30 years since I built it, and changed from black to tan, but the interior has the identifying marks still.

The top may be new, but the attachment at the body is still the same as the way I made it with three snaps per side. That was a decision made by myself and the top maker in order to make it work. Most don't attach this way.

It's lost the plastic headlight covers along the way, but it still has the hand recessed emblem that was designed to go under the plastic. It still has the offset rear prancing horse, though.

I also used a '66 Datsun 411 license plate light (with Stanley of Japan markings) instead of the kit supplied cast unit. And in the trunk, I had a custom offset gas tank with a deep section to put larger items, which nesessitated an offset latch mechanism instead of a central one (the other kit Daytonas used a flat floor). That offset deep sided floor and offset latch are still there:

Compare this:

With the original way it was:

And the guy who has it now sent me pics of when he got it:

here it is now:

And back then:

In '88, before I sold it, it hd been in a number of car shows, and used on both KING TV's Almost Live comedy show in a spoof of Miami Vice, called Ballard Vice, and also it was driven to Californai and used to film one of the last episodes of Max Headroom. Here it is on the trailer to do the fiming of it "driving" in the beach:

And here is the episode (the car shows up at about 22:45 in and is used sporadically throughout after that):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oulUwiNc0J4

I matched the VIN up to my old registration card from '85 and it's the same car. Amazing that it held up so well after 30 years. Unfortunately, I simply don't have enough time to raise the money to buy it, but the owner is going to get me in contact with the buyer, so I can give them the history and try and get first rights of refusal if and when they go to sell it later. If I can get it back, I wont let it go again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive