Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 09:57 AM

6,706 posts, read 5,948,586 times

Advertisements

My friend just started working for a tech company after years of grad school, living on next to nothing. About a year ago, they bought a 2-year-old Subaru Outback. A reasonable, thrifty thing to do.

Now he's talking about trading it in for a brand new Outback, while "there's still plenty of trade-in value left in this car". I asked what new features was he hoping to get, and he said, rear seat vents so his 3-year-old could have separate controls, and a built-in GPS.

I've long since learned not to lecture others on wasting money, so I didn't say anything. But what sense is there in trading a car you just bought a year ago? He'll probably pay $8K or $10K just to have that new car feel and smell.

$10K isn't just $10K. If invested into your retirement accounts, it represents about $100K 30 years from now when you retire. Assuming of course an average return of 8% which is the historical norm.

Is it prudent to trade in a car so soon? Hey, my 2013 Prius V is starting to feel a little long in the tooth. Not as shiny as it was 12 months ago! Maybe I should consider a trade-in while it's still got some of its long term value! (joking) I plan to drive it into the ground, actually, and I believe that's the only way to maximize your investment (or rather, minimize your loss) in your vehicle. Isn't that still the conventional wisdom?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2014, 10:10 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,150,159 times
Well, had you really wanted to maximize your investment/minimize your loss, you would've purchased a used Prius, wouldn't you?
Perhaps your friend is jonesing for a new car as you were a year ago?
Would you feel the same had he splurged $8-10k on a vacation instead?
Not everything in life has to make financial sense.

Old 09-23-2014, 10:28 AM

1,488 posts, read 1,969,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
Well, had you really wanted to maximize your investment/minimize your loss, you would've purchased a used Prius, wouldn't you?
Perhaps your friend is jonesing for a new car as you were a year ago?
Would you feel the same had he splurged $8-10k on a vacation instead?
Not everything in life has to make financial sense.
That part is true, but what his friend did is typical stupidity and can't be classified as "splurging." It reeks of an individual who doesn't think things through, doesn't plan ahead and generally makes a lot of stupid life decisions. There's nothing wrong with buying a new car or splurging. But there is a correct way to do both. If he really wanted to splurge on a new outback he should have bought one from the beginning and not wasted money buying a used car then changing his mind a year later.

A better vacation analogy would have been: He paid for a $3K vacation and then changed his mind at the last minute to another destination; thereby losing part of his original $3K. This could have easily been avoided just like the situation the OP posted about.

Old 09-23-2014, 10:38 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,150,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffon652 View Post
That part is true, but what his friend did is typical stupidity and can't be classified as "splurging." It reeks of an individual who doesn't think things through, doesn't plan ahead and generally makes a lot of stupid life decisions. There's nothing wrong with buying a new car or splurging. But there is a correct way to do both. If he really wanted to splurge on a new outback he should have bought one from the beginning and not wasted money buying a used car then changing his mind a year later.

A better vacation analogy would have been: He paid for a $3K vacation and then changed his mind at the last minute to another destination; thereby losing part of his original $3K. This could have easily been avoided just like the situation the OP posted about.

You know this much about the guy from his decision to trade in a used car he bought a year ago?
Perhaps he couldn't afford a brand new car a year ago since he just graduated. Perhaps he just got a big fat bonus and decided to splurge after years as a poor grad student. Perhaps he likes the looks of the redesigned 2015 Outback better.

Old 09-23-2014, 10:44 AM

5,444 posts, read 7,001,595 times
Sounds like someone is a bit jealous.

Old 09-23-2014, 10:54 AM

9,724 posts, read 21,249,798 times
I side with jaypee a little here. Maybe your friend attended "years of grad school" so he could get the job that would allow for a new car purchase every year or two. It's really ONLY his business (unless he owes you money) how he spends his money.

From 1968-1988 I traded for a new car every one to three years, often trading for two new ones in the same year (my car, wife's car). In 1988 I actually bought three new cars and a one-year-old pickup (my car, wife's car, pickup for rough use and a car for my son's graduation). I figured (wrongly) that I plenty invested for retirement and paid cash for all of them.

Point is, new cars are simply more reliable than older ones, and I could easily afford to pay a little extra for that reliability. They don't cost a whole lot more in the long run.

Case in point: My late FIL used to trade his car every year when the new ones came out. He had a standing deal with the local Ford dealer -- $500 for same model one year newer. The cars he traded in were like new, always under 10k miles on them, always garaged, kept clean, carpets always covered with towels, etc. The dealer always had someone waiting for my FIL's trade-in, because they figured it was "just like new" but they were buying it for a used-car price. Guess who really got the better deal.

Old 09-23-2014, 11:25 AM

3,135 posts, read 11,902,869 times
Life is too short to be driving an old car you don't like. Sure, saving money for the future is the smart thing to do and should be done. But it doesn't mean you can't spend it. I invest so I can have nice stuff NOW. Not when I could be dead 20 years from now.

Old 09-23-2014, 11:28 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,824,021 times
At least he's trading into the next generation. You can't put a price on aesthetics, except we ARE talking about an Outback here ...

Old 09-23-2014, 11:31 AM

609 posts, read 2,244,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
I side with jaypee a little here. Maybe your friend attended "years of grad school" so he could get the job that would allow for a new car purchase every year or two. It's really ONLY his business (unless he owes you money) how he spends his money.

From 1968-1988 I traded for a new car every one to three years, often trading for two new ones in the same year (my car, wife's car). In 1988 I actually bought three new cars and a one-year-old pickup (my car, wife's car, pickup for rough use and a car for my son's graduation). I figured (wrongly) that I plenty invested for retirement and paid cash for all of them.

Point is, new cars are simply more reliable than older ones, and I could easily afford to pay a little extra for that reliability. They don't cost a whole lot more in the long run.

Case in point: My late FIL used to trade his car every year when the new ones came out. He had a standing deal with the local Ford dealer -- $500 for same model one year newer. The cars he traded in were like new, always under 10k miles on them, always garaged, kept clean, carpets always covered with towels, etc. The dealer always had someone waiting for my FIL's trade-in, because they figured it was "just like new" but they were buying it for a used-car price. Guess who really got the better deal.

This would get my vote for the worst financial decision ever. SO your later FIL, traded in his car every year and paid all the taxes that come along with a new (used) car purchase.

Old 09-23-2014, 11:47 AM

5,075 posts, read 11,084,733 times
His reasoning is faulty. Depreciation on the old car will be less than on a new car, especially considering it's the same model. If he were trading an M5 for a prius, that would be different. Subarus, especially used ones, hold a pretty good % of value. FWIW, I have an 07 model that I've owned for 4 years and the trade in value on it is still within 4 grand of what I paid back then. The car has held value better than anything I've ever owned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive