Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2014, 09:23 AM

5,444 posts, read 6,991,441 times

Advertisements

GM announces new recall of 3 million vehicles - May. 15, 2014
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2014, 09:28 AM

5,994 posts, read 20,082,432 times
GM recalls are like clockwork! I just know that I'm going to wake up every morning and find that they are recalling another 3 million cars.

Old 05-15-2014, 09:32 AM

5,251 posts, read 14,243,757 times
Using Mr.Willys logic, GM recalls are a GOOD things as they are fixing a problem. However Toyota recalls indicated that they build a terrible product.

Old 05-15-2014, 09:34 AM

5,994 posts, read 20,082,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
Using Mr.Willys logic, GM recalls are a GOOD things as they are fixing a problem. However Toyota recalls indicated that they build a terrible product.
Too true!

Old 05-15-2014, 09:38 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,095,367 times
At this rate, GM will be recalling more vehicles than they've actually built LOL

Old 05-15-2014, 09:48 AM

17,619 posts, read 17,656,125 times
Great, my mom's car is on the list. Another example of a dangerous problem GM knew about but only issued a service bulletin instead of a recall.

Old 05-15-2014, 09:52 AM

9,131 posts, read 20,006,903 times
Now that GM is facing a huge PR disaster and fines over the ignition switch problem, they are recalling everything they think could be "uncovered" and cause them an even greater fine from being accused of covering things up.

I normally do not get too upset over recalls. However, in the case of GM I think it is really starting to showing the extent to which their vehicles are substandard, and to the extend to which GM really has NOT stood behind their products in their recent past.

I think there is going to be more too. The internet has been on fire for some time regarding the passenger seat air bag sensors in GM vehicles failing. The problem is the switch that detects a person fails, which causes the air bag system to disarm the passenger side airbag. It's not reassuring to know that the airbag which is there to protect you may fail because the car doesn't know your sitting in the seat. Repair bills are rather large too ($1000+ in many instances), causing people to delay or fail to get the system fixed. I would think GM, in the wake of these recalls and bad PR, has got to be considering a recall to this obvious problem and hazard with a key safety system.

Old 05-15-2014, 09:54 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,288,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
Actually his logic is just the reverse of so many domestic car bashers on here over the years. So many people would say that a domestic recall, like Ford's 12 recalls on the 2000 Focus, meant the cars were crap, but any recall by Toyota or Honda was simply them being proactive.

Old 05-15-2014, 09:58 AM

17,619 posts, read 17,656,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
Now that GM is facing a huge PR disaster and fines over the ignition switch problem, they are recalling everything they think could be "uncovered" and cause them an even greater fine from being accused of covering things up.

I normally do not get too upset over recalls. However, in the case of GM I think it is really starting to showing the extent to which their vehicles are substandard, and to the extend to which GM really has NOT stood behind their products in their recent past.

I think there is going to be more too. The internet has been on fire for some time regarding the passenger seat air bag sensors in GM vehicles failing. The problem is the switch that detects a person fails, which causes the air bag system to disarm the passenger side airbag. It's not reassuring to know that the airbag which is there to protect you may fail because the car doesn't know your sitting in the seat. Repair bills are rather large too ($1000+ in many instances), causing people to delay or fail to get the system fixed. I would think GM, in the wake of these recalls and bad PR, has got to be considering a recall to this obvious problem and hazard with a key safety system.
Agree, I don't mind a timely recall. People make mistakes. A responsible automaker will recognize there's a problem, find a solution, put the solution on the production line, and issue a recall to fix problems. This just shows the attitude of GM towards their customers and quality control.

Old 05-15-2014, 09:59 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,810,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post

I think there is going to be more too.
Yes, PR disasters lead to recalls - both real recalls (which should've been done years ago) and proactive recalls once the real recalls are fixed. That's why it seems like the chunk of recalls made over the past couple years have been all Toyota and GM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive