Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2014, 08:24 AM

861 posts, read 1,335,242 times

Advertisements

While stopped in traffic, a car in front put it in reverse and smashed in to the car behind then filed an insurance claim. This actually happened to a relative.

A dash cam would've come in handy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2014, 08:54 AM

5,994 posts, read 20,069,075 times
I've recently installed one in my car and my wife's car. When you can get a good dash cam for $60 along with the protection it offers, I say why not.

Old 05-16-2014, 08:55 AM

2,743 posts, read 4,823,956 times
I know the stereotype is that any rear-end collision is always the fault of the rear car, but I think this example would be the exception.

There are several easily obvious proofs:
Skid marks of the rear car's tires, going backwards and dissipating (showing the car was slowing down), to the rear.
Debris pattern of broken glass, universally thrown backwards.

The last time I was hit, (after making sure everyone was OK and out of traffic), I proceeded to take about 30 pictures of my and their car from all angles. I put them on a photo-website and sent the link to my and their insurance adjuster ... and they paid up immediately!

Still, a dash cam is something I'm thinking about. I already have my smartphone set up in my windshield for nav. an always-on-when-in-the-car DashCamApp might reduce future hassles.

Old 05-16-2014, 09:19 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
If you have a good smartphone, there are plenty of apps that will do dash cam recordings. A good dock is all you need.

My Galaxy Note 3 can record with both cameras so it can show my steering wheel input and dash at the same time.

If you have NFC cards configured it makes life easy just set to Drive Mode and it automatically turns on your camera when you put your smartphone into the dock.

Old 05-16-2014, 09:54 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,088,213 times
I have one, got it for track day stuff a while back, but I've been using it on the street most of the time now. Had a situation where a guy a year or two ago, pulled out right in front of me, I had the right of way, and nearly t-boned him and it would have probably totaled my car. I slammed on my brakes, threw up my hands, and said WTF? at him.

I then proceeded on my way. This idiot turned his truck around and followed me. We got to a stop light, he rolled down his window and started screaming at me for giving him the finger (I hadn't) and that he was going to kick my ass. I would have loved to have caught all that on camera and reported him to the police for both the traffic violation and the threat.

After that I started leaving the camera in the car most of the time now.

Old 05-16-2014, 10:15 AM

4,625 posts, read 12,287,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
I have one, got it for track day stuff a while back, but I've been using it on the street most of the time now. Had a situation where a guy a year or two ago, pulled out right in front of me, I had the right of way, and nearly t-boned him and it would have probably totaled my car. I slammed on my brakes, threw up my hands, and said WTF? at him.

I then proceeded on my way. This idiot turned his truck around and followed me. We got to a stop light, he rolled down his window and started screaming at me for giving him the finger (I hadn't) and that he was going to kick my ass. I would have loved to have caught all that on camera and reported him to the police for both the traffic violation and the threat.

I'd have paid to watch this!

Old 05-16-2014, 10:41 AM

2,573 posts, read 3,501,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
I'd have paid to watch this!

Sadly it'd have been exactly like that Karma video thing where dude crashed and because woman was found laughing at the end a number of posters were very suspicious and blamed the lady saying she MUST have done something to agitate him. Some concluded she's left lane hog. Some concluded she did speed up to make sure he stays behine and what not.

Old 05-16-2014, 11:02 AM
mym

706 posts, read 1,170,318 times
last week my friend got hit by a guy that ran a red light. there were no cameras and no witnesses. so the other guy lied and said it was green for him too. dash cam would have come in very handy and now my friend is considering getting one. as it stands they both were given 50% fault for the accident.

Old 05-16-2014, 11:13 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post

In every state I know of the court wouldn't have taken the compliant you filed to file charges and it would have been just filling out a paper at court clerks window. You would have in the end had to file a civil suit and showed some damage of some type ;really. But I am sure then he would have made counter claims. By the way the courts long ago made the finger a common language of the people;meaning its commonly used to express opinion basically; not even disorderly conduct. But they still allow it to be a defense in what is called fighting words. Just society today.

Old 05-16-2014, 11:33 AM

78,339 posts, read 60,527,398 times
In certain parts of this fine country....a dash cam would be extremely useful.

There is a reason they are so prevalent in Russia...tons of scammers, hit and runners etc.

States with auto fraud rings, lots of hit and runs, illegals, uninsured drivers etc.....NJ, FL spring to mind....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive