Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 07:21 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,578,439 times

Advertisements

The government shouldn't have bailed out GM in 2008. The signs of un sustainability where evident for years. The UAW contracts where the main part of the problem. They should have filed for chapter 11. That would have killed the UAW contracts that are ridiculous and allowed them to reorganize. Or they could have been bought out. It would have resulted in better operations without having to have more hands stirring the pot that is GM corporate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2014, 07:27 AM

9,131 posts, read 19,866,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
The government shouldn't have bailed out GM in 2008. The signs of un sustainability where evident for years. The UAW contracts where the main part of the problem. They should have filed for chapter 11. That would have killed the UAW contracts that are ridiculous and allowed them to reorganize. Or they could have been bought out. It would have resulted in better operations without having to have more hands stirring the pot that is GM corporate.
They did run the bankruptcy through Chapter 11, and they also signed a new labor agreement with the UAW which allowed the bankruptcy to run through the court in an expeditious manner. The union did surrender a number of worth while concessions too in regards to pay, benefits, non-work rules, and also agreed to binding arbitration when the agreement expires if a new one cannot be agreed to in lieu of striking.

Old 05-20-2014, 07:50 AM

2,593 posts, read 4,219,776 times
Here's a word that haunts GM: Dexcool

Old 05-20-2014, 07:52 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,578,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
They did run the bankruptcy through Chapter 11, and they also signed a new labor agreement with the UAW which allowed the bankruptcy to run through the court in an expeditious manner. The union did surrender a number of worth while concessions too in regards to pay, benefits, non-work rules, and also agreed to binding arbitration when the agreement expires if a new one cannot be agreed to in lieu of striking.
You're right. Your memory is better than mine.

Old 05-20-2014, 07:58 AM

9,131 posts, read 19,866,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzoom3 View Post
Here's a word that haunts GM: Dexcool
Not as much as it haunts owners of older GM vehicles!!

Old 05-20-2014, 08:17 AM

24,334 posts, read 22,881,617 times
Time to pile into the corporate jets and fly back to DC to get the government to bail them out again.
Although I will say my '99 Chevrolet has been outstanding in safety, durability and reliability and is still going strong and problem free. Maybe it was that it was built in Canada or the late 90s was the end of a good era in car building.

Old 05-20-2014, 08:22 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,111,912 times
//www.city-data.com/forum/automotive/2118364-internal-general-motors-powerpoint-shows-steps.html

My opinion still stands. I saw John Oliver take this WAY out of context on his show this last weekend. Hilarious, but it does drive home the point I made about the media having a field day by distorting this sort of stuff (fully realizing that John Oliver's show is NOT an actual news source, mind you).

Mike

Old 05-20-2014, 11:12 AM

850 posts, read 1,021,529 times
If the overly-dramatic words were not on the list, would you agree that it would not be getting this much attention/ridicule?
Some of these words are like late night show host catnip! <meow> Rolling Sarcophagus? Really? Anybody else think F-104 Starfighter when they hear "widow maker"? It's sexist now BTW, it should be "Widow(s) and/or Widower(s) maker". dex

"They" should have just issued an approved word list and reminded employees that internal communications can easily go public. How ironic that the attempt to "not go there" ended up going there in spades...I mean shovels.

Old 05-20-2014, 12:31 PM

1,383 posts, read 1,544,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayway View Post
"They" should have just issued an approved word list and reminded employees that internal communications can easily go public. How ironic that the attempt to "not go there" ended up going there in spades...I mean shovels.
I see what you did there!

Old 05-20-2014, 02:16 PM

850 posts, read 1,021,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJDeadParrot View Post
I see what you did there!
Cool, here's your cheap sunglasses <rock music riff>

Hey should we make up other over the top words/descriptors that should have been included by GM?

"Un-insurable at any speed" (homage to the Ralph Nader)

"Fine Corinthian Crapsacks" (homage to Archer tv show)

"Mobile Nazi oven - cause mobile is HOT" Is that a Goodwon? again
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive