Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 02:34 PM

1,838 posts, read 2,975,630 times

Advertisements

My car has been wrecked and the insurance company gave me this to sign so doesn't that mean I no longer have any rights to the vehicle?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2009, 03:39 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,671,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shysister View Post
My car has been wrecked and the insurance company gave me this to sign so doesn't that mean I no longer have any rights to the vehicle?
Could you explain a little more fully, please? I'm not making connections here.

Thanks.

Old 04-19-2009, 04:22 PM

This is to certify that I S&S of the county of *** and the state of ***, owner of the following described motor vehicle, do make, constitute and appoint Progressive Casualty Insurance Company of the county of *** and that state of ***, my true and lawful attorney for me and in my name, place and stead to sell, transfer and assign the motor vehicle described as follows. (Car make, model, yr, license#, VIN#)

Giving and granting unto my said attorney full power and authority to do and perform all and every act requisite and necessary to transfer and assign the legal title to said motor vehicle to anyone whomsoever as may be designed by my said attorney.

****department of transportation vehicle title and registration division

That's the document I signed. The car is financed through Capital one so Progressive has to pay Capital One to get the title which means I no longer have any rights to the car as I signed them over when I signed that document.

Old 04-19-2009, 04:26 PM

Quote:
This is to certify that I S&S of the county of *** and the state of ***, owner of the following described motor vehicle, do make, constitute and appoint Progressive Casualty Insurance Company of the county of *** and that state of ***, my true and lawful attorney for me and in my name, place and stead to sell, transfer and assign the motor vehicle described as follows. (Car make, model, yr, license#, VIN#)

Giving and granting unto my said attorney full power and authority to do and perform all and every act requisite and necessary to transfer and assign the legal title to said motor vehicle to anyone whomsoever as may be designed by my said attorney.

****department of transportation vehicle title and registration division

That's the document I signed. The car is financed through Capital one so Progressive has to pay Capital One to get the title which means I no longer have any rights to the car as I signed them over when I signed that document.
So your car was totaled, and Progressive Insurance paid you out. Now they're doing this to get the title to your car. That's all it looks like to me.

Old 04-19-2009, 04:35 PM

My claims rep said she wasn't sure if its total but they had me sign the document, so doesn't that mean if they consider it total or not it wouldn't matter because I have already signed over my rights to the car?

Old 04-19-2009, 04:36 PM

Quote:
My claims rep said she wasn't sure if its total but they had me sign the document, so doesn't that mean if they consider it total or not it wouldn't matter because I have already signed over my rights to the car?
I'm not sure.

But one way or the other, the bank has to be paid for the balance of the loan. I'm guessing that this is their way of making you allow them to do that.

Old 04-19-2009, 04:44 PM

Thats my question since I signed that document Progressive is now responsible for the remainder of the loan right?

Old 04-19-2009, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Thats my question since I signed that document Progressive is now responsible for the remainder of the loan right?
My guess is, yes. I would guess that they'll pay the bank what is owed on the car, then issue you a check for the rest.

But call them and ask. I had Progressive Insurance for awhile, and they were always rather decent to work with.

Old 04-19-2009, 04:52 PM

I'm not enjoying my experience with them and will defiantly switch once this is over. They are responsible for what they feel the car is worth and I have Gap insurance that will pay the balance. So Monday if they tell me the car is fixable I'm going to tell them I signed over all rights to them and they need to pay Capital one because I no longer have any rights to the car.

Old 04-20-2009, 07:59 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,415,243 times
We have Progressive Ins. on our boat. During Ike last year, the boat went thru the boathouse roof with the tidal surge. Progressive couldn't have gotten out here any quicker and issued us a check on the spot. Was very fair and a pleasure to work with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive