Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2014, 07:47 AM

1,022 posts, read 2,538,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
I live in NoVA and the driving and traffic is awful. I agree. I will also say that in the area I live in there are A LOT of out of state drivers here, and there are just too many people in the area in general.

I guess just stay out of NoVa if you don't like the drivers. I don't have that option because I live here...
Meh, it's the same here in Maryland, but it seems like driving habits are always worse once I get on 495. Baltimore drivers generally aren't the best, but it seems that the DC area is way worse, and this is compounded by over-capacity roads and an outdated interstate network through the region.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2014, 08:24 AM

16,568 posts, read 15,139,225 times
Drivers aside, roads aren't helping either. Take Tysons Corner. What is with all these dividers? You want to make a left turn but you realize there is a concrete divide between you and the lane you want to be in that you should have seen 300 ft earlier.

Old 05-25-2014, 10:29 AM

1,022 posts, read 2,538,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Drivers aside, roads aren't helping either. Take Tysons Corner. What is with all these dividers? You want to make a left turn but you realize there is a concrete divide between you and the lane you want to be in that you should have seen 300 ft earlier.
That's called channelization, and is usually done for safety reasons especially if a busy intersection experiences a lot of sideswipes due to through lane/left turning traffic trying to get into or out of their lane. When designed correctly, they can also provide increased capacity. I'm a transportation engineer who designs roadways, that's the only reason I know .

Old 05-25-2014, 10:43 AM

9,593 posts, read 31,571,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Maryland View Post
What's wrong with you? Why can't you drive? Are you doing it on purpose, or are you really just that stupid regarding all things driving?

Unfortunately, Mr. Maryland . . .

Sounds like an epidemic of First Person Singular Syndrome to me.

Old 05-25-2014, 10:57 PM

16,568 posts, read 15,139,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Griff View Post
That's called channelization, and is usually done for safety reasons especially if a busy intersection experiences a lot of sideswipes due to through lane/left turning traffic trying to get into or out of their lane. When designed correctly, they can also provide increased capacity. I'm a transportation engineer who designs roadways, that's the only reason I know .
I remember a few years ago we were in the area in the middle of one of those big snowstorms. I just put my truck in 4WD and drove right over them. You couldn't see them anyway. They are terrible for out of towers.

Old 05-26-2014, 10:03 AM

17,406 posts, read 14,975,988 times
The habit of people abandoning their cars in the snow gets me.

But, it's generally not referred to as driving, either.. It's 'commuting'. You do things differently there than you would in any other part of the country. And even the people who live there, they get south of Fredricksburg or so.. Driving style completely changes.

Old 05-27-2014, 08:40 AM

15,395 posts, read 25,663,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Griff View Post
I don't mind the channelization stuff, but please pass the word around to other engineers about the need to put up better signs alerting people about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive