Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 12:06 PM

6,009 posts, read 6,663,169 times

Advertisements

Actually,

The WISEST thing to do is to buy a cheaper car in nice shape and save the money. Yes money will come in at your job, but $17k isn't a very big nest egg. Don't rely completely on your job as it isn't promised tomorrow. Things can happen. I would also advise to steer clear of higher end cars right off the bat as some require some expensive maintenance. Why not get a nicely equipped Civic, Accord, Camry, Corolla, Fusion, etc.... and bank a little cash for a while. Then later down the road when you're completely on solid ground, go pick up that luxury car you want.

Take this advice from someone who made the exact same mistake..... you'll need that money more than you think. I wouldn't recommend extending yourself on a huge loan either fresh out of school. Give it a year or two and see how things play out.

Just some friendly advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2014, 12:06 PM

601 posts, read 1,451,299 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rks40ng2C2Y

Old 05-21-2014, 12:23 PM

4,268 posts, read 8,170,550 times
My Credit Union is currently offering 1.65% for people with your kind of credit score. I used them last month to get a loan.. Incredibly easy.

I am in agreement with others, if you have that much down you may be better taking the loan and then paying it off sooner than the term.

Old 05-21-2014, 12:24 PM

9 posts, read 9,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
Actually,

The WISEST thing to do is to buy a cheaper car in nice shape and save the money. Yes money will come in at your job, but $17k isn't a very big nest egg. Don't rely completely on your job as it isn't promised tomorrow. Things can happen. I would also advise to steer clear of higher end cars right off the bat as some require some expensive maintenance. Why not get a nicely equipped Civic, Accord, Camry, Corolla, Fusion, etc.... and bank a little cash for a while. Then later down the road when you're completely on solid ground, go pick up that luxury car you want.

Take this advice from someone who made the exact same mistake..... you'll need that money more than you think. I wouldn't recommend extending yourself on a huge loan either fresh out of school. Give it a year or two and see how things play out.

Just some friendly advice.
Ugh, yeah that's the main reason I haven't already decided to go with a nicer car. I guess if I actually had outstanding school loans, that would make this decision much easier lol.

Old 05-21-2014, 12:31 PM

6,009 posts, read 6,663,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by everix1992 View Post
Ugh, yeah that's the main reason I haven't already decided to go with a nicer car. I guess if I actually had outstanding school loans, that would make this decision much easier lol.

Well, be thankful that you don't. SINCE you don't, why not keep the debt down (or keep cash in your pocket if you don't finance) and enjoy staying debt free for a while. Although I understand it's super easy to get wrapped up in the luxury of a new car.

Here's an idea though. Keep banking the money after buying a cheaper car, and put that towards the down payment on a house. That's an actual asset that you will need at some point anyhow and would get you a lot cheaper house payment. A lot of folks don't come out of college with that kind of cash, so it's obvious you have some pretty good reasoning and financial skills anyhow.

Old 05-21-2014, 01:10 PM

1,218 posts, read 3,468,905 times
I went out and got a nissan 370Z a few months into my job. Very impractical but I am only 23 and wanted to enjoy what I drive. I am still saving a good amount each year. If you are into cars then picking the g37/whatever other cars you are looking at will provide you with a lot more happiness than a Camry

Also there are CPO programs that offer warranties (I think infiniti is 6 or 7 years) but you may have to push into the 20k range

That is the only regret with my car. I haven't had any issues but I would have liked the peace of mind of a warranty

Old 05-21-2014, 02:17 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,101,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IonRedline08 View Post
My Credit Union is currently offering 1.65% for people with your kind of credit score. I used them last month to get a loan.. Incredibly easy.

I am in agreement with others, if you have that much down you may be better taking the loan and then paying it off sooner than the term.
My husband's last car, I started paying ten extra dollars a month then I'd throw in an extra $30-$50 here and there that I didn't even notice.

I think I got the car paid of 18 months early without ever paying an extra monthly payment.

Old 05-21-2014, 02:30 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,566,236 times
There's no point in spending the entire $17K on a used car; you can get a very nice import car for half that price anywhere in the US.

Since you didn't specify where you live, you'll have to consider whether you'll need a 4WD car or SUV if you live in an area with brutal winters, or if a typical 4 door sedan such as a Camry, Accord, Civic, Elantra, Corolla or a similar vehicles would suffice.

You can certainly use a website such as New Cars, Used Cars, Car Reviews | Cars.com for your research, or check the websites of any of the new car dealers in & around your hometown.

All of those cars use regular octane fuel which is another plus.

Good luck!

Old 05-21-2014, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
Well, be thankful that you don't. SINCE you don't, why not keep the debt down (or keep cash in your pocket if you don't finance) and enjoy staying debt free for a while. Although I understand it's super easy to get wrapped up in the luxury of a new car.

Here's an idea though. Keep banking the money after buying a cheaper car, and put that towards the down payment on a house. That's an actual asset that you will need at some point anyhow and would get you a lot cheaper house payment. A lot of folks don't come out of college with that kind of cash, so it's obvious you have some pretty good reasoning and financial skills anyhow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats234
I went out and got a nissan 370Z a few months into my job. Very impractical but I am only 23 and wanted to enjoy what I drive. I am still saving a good amount each year. If you are into cars then picking the g37/whatever other cars you are looking at will provide you with a lot more happiness than a Camry

Also there are CPO programs that offer warranties (I think infiniti is 6 or 7 years) but you may have to push into the 20k range

That is the only regret with my car. I haven't had any issues but I would have liked the peace of mind of a warranty
That just about sums up the two options I've got here. I really, really, like the idea of getting the G37 because I want to be able to enjoy driving while I can. But, I also really, really, don't like the idea of taking out a car loan. The thing is, I was already planning on purchasing a house two or three years down the road and I feel like if I don't do this now, I might now get a chance for a while. And, assuming I don't get fired, I can easily afford the car payment. The way I figure, I've got a monthly budget (after rent + food and stuff) of around $1500 for either a car payment or savings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv101 View Post
There's no point in spending the entire $17K on a used car; you can get a very nice import car for half that price anywhere in the US.

Since you didn't specify where you live, you'll have to consider whether you'll need a 4WD car or SUV if you live in an area with brutal winters, or if a typical 4 door sedan such as a Camry, Accord, Civic, Elantra, Corolla or a similar vehicles would suffice.

You can certainly use a website such as New Cars, Used Cars, Car Reviews | Cars.com for your research, or check the websites of any of the new car dealers in & around your hometown.

All of those cars use regular octane fuel which is another plus.

Good luck!
I'm from Kansas City, Kansas, meaning that I will have high temps in the summer and plenty of snow/ice in the winter.

Old 05-21-2014, 06:01 PM

Alright, I think I decided to just go for a more affordable car right now and then trade that in later for a better car once I've got a little more saved up. Any thoughts on what car I should go for? I was thinking about shooting for a Ford Fusion or Honda Accord or Honda Civic around 10k?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive