Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2014, 09:42 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,326,747 times

Advertisements

What we need is cops to start doing their job and start issue reckless driver ticket for anything over 10 mph of speed limit

Old 05-28-2014, 10:00 AM

1,509 posts, read 1,782,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
"Speeding related" later on seems to confirm that it is only a "contributing factor" and not the cause.

Mere speeding can't be a sole cause of an accident, there must be another factor such as failure to yield, following too close, improper lane change, failure to maintain control, or something similar in addition to speeding; otherwise a collision can not occur.

Speeding makes such an accident worse, and increases the probability of it occurring.

Old 05-28-2014, 10:51 AM

283 posts, read 347,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The b8nk View Post
LOL thats like saying " who the heck doesnt shoot people for fun" its the LAW and its set by engineers that determined that the speed is the safest for that certain roadway. Just because you THINK you are a racecar driver doesnt make it so....

Gee well who made you head engineer? Oh thats right you arent one....

"hella" = instadouche.
yes all laws are exactly the same, and shooting someone is analogous to going 5 miles an hour over the speed limit.

additionally people who helped slaves escape in the 1850s are the scum of the earth. the law is the law.

Old 05-28-2014, 11:41 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,485,544 times
Ever notice that people who don't speed are the ones that keep getting into accidents? It's important to keep distances apart so that in the event a faster car speed through that you are not impeding traffic. It could be a police pursuit and you might not see sirens yet and it's extremely dangerous not paying attention and allow room for other cars to pass you if you intend to drive at the speed limit.

Very dangerous, one bad timing and the speeding car will send you off the road. Don't make this a rehtoric issue, if you are concerned with safety drive defensively and don't get caught up with staying your lane and blocking others which causes road rage.

Old 05-28-2014, 11:44 AM

1,509 posts, read 1,782,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Ever notice that people who don't speed are the ones that keep getting into accidents?
No.

Old 05-28-2014, 11:46 AM

8,452 posts, read 4,707,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTY483 View Post
That's not true. Speed limits are set by 1) Horizontal and vertical curve geometry 2) Coefficient of friction between the tire of a DOT design vehicle tire and roadway tack coats 3) Stopping sight distance 4) Population density
Sure, they do all their fancy formulas then they dial it back by 5-10 mph so when people invariably speed they'll still be relatively safe. And if it's a highway they just set the limit to what all the other highways are set to, or whatever the state's maximum is.

Old 05-28-2014, 11:49 AM

4,052 posts, read 5,062,623 times
Because people are stupid.

Old 05-28-2014, 11:51 AM

8,452 posts, read 4,707,646 times
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully
Who the heck drives the speed limit? They set those artificially low to begin with, either to make it easier to write tickets or because they figure 99% of drivers will be going 5-10 mph over the limit anyway.

Quote:
LOL thats like saying " who the heck doesnt shoot people for fun"

You're either joking or trolling. There's no way you think that is an apt analogy.

Old 05-28-2014, 12:06 PM

77,676 posts, read 59,823,491 times
Quote:
In case anyone didnt notice the LIMIT is the LIMIT not a suggestion. Why do people ride peoples *** that do the limit? I am not going to risk getting a ticket just because YOU didnt leave 5 minutes earlier for your crappy job.
If there are a bunch of cars in front of you or if you aren't in the passing lane then it's rude and they should chill out and learn how to drive.

If no one is in front of you and you are gumming up the passing lane then speed limit or not you are being a rude individual.

As for 5 minutes earlier...sometimes people have kids that forget their lunch and even though they have a crappy job it's all they have and they don't want to get written up or fired for being late. Maybe they came out to find they have a flat tire and are late for a job interview?

Basically, people can be a-holes but I read all these posts from people self-righteously gumming up the passing lane and defending their actions as some kind of public service where they are making things safer.

Neither sets of actions is what I would consider to be good or courteous driving.

Old 05-28-2014, 12:11 PM

2,094 posts, read 1,910,861 times
Oh please.... I don't like getting tailgated either. 99% of the time its some jackass with no other reason than he or she is a jackass that thinks the road was made especially for him. If I had to get to the hospital or some other emergency, I would keep my distance and find a safe place to pass.... not ride the person in front of me off the road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive