Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2014, 01:34 PM

24,452 posts, read 25,987,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
It does not. Lack of control causes accidents.
But doesn't speed cause "lack of control?"

Old 06-02-2014, 02:35 PM

5,228 posts, read 15,285,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motormaker View Post
But doesn't speed cause "lack of control?"
No. I can drive fast and be in perfect control. Otherwise the autobahn would be littered with cars that have crashed. If speed caused crashes, then every car that went fast would crash. They don't. Why? Speed is not the cause, EVER. It can be a contributing factor, if the driv er is less skilled, but it is never the CAUSE. The cause is ALWAYS poor driving. Which is why crashes can and do occur at low speeds, too.

Old 06-02-2014, 04:17 PM

24,452 posts, read 25,987,852 times
Quote:
No. I can drive fast and be in perfect control. Otherwise the autobahn would be littered with cars that have crashed. If speed caused crashes, then every car that went fast would crash. They don't. Why? Speed is not the cause, EVER. It can be a contributing factor, if the driv er is less skilled, but it is never the CAUSE. The cause is ALWAYS poor driving. Which is why crashes can and do occur at low speeds, too.
You can because of your driving experiences, but many others cannot and that is the criz of the problem.

Old 06-02-2014, 04:36 PM

5,228 posts, read 15,285,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motormaker View Post
You can because of your driving experiences, but many others cannot and that is the criz of the problem.
Again, that is not SPEED causing the crash, but the lack of skill (or lack of experience.). Speed NEVER causes the crash. Not being able to drive does.

Again, if SPEED caused crashing, then every car that went fast would crash. Average speeds in the US are 10-15 mph above the speed limit, but only 3% of drivers crash every year. So obviously merely driving fast does not cause crashes. Again, look to the autobahn. If speed caused crashes, then it would NOT matter how experienced/skilled you were, you'd still crash.

I can't make this any clearer.

Old 06-02-2014, 04:57 PM

6,471 posts, read 6,672,434 times
Quote:
Again, that is not SPEED causing the crash, but the lack of skill (or lack of experience.). Speed NEVER causes the crash. Not being able to drive does.

Again, if SPEED caused crashing, then every car that went fast would crash. Average speeds in the US are 10-15 mph above the speed limit, but only 3% of drivers crash every year. So obviously merely driving fast does not cause crashes. Again, look to the autobahn. If speed caused crashes, then it would NOT matter how experienced/skilled you were, you'd still crash.

I can't make this any clearer.
Your "logic" is not making any sense. Just because "a" doesn't ALWAYS lead to "b" doesn't mean that "a" NEVER causes "b."

Screaming can cause a sore throat, but not always.
A drug overdose can kill, but not always.
Throwing myself down a flight of stair can break bones, but not always.

Of course not EVERY car that goes fast will crash, but speeding CAN cause a crash. If I am going 100 mph on a curvy road that was designed for 20 mph, there is no way I'm going to be able to keep control of my car. When I fly off the road and hit a tree, the cause is speed......the wrong speed for the circumstances.

Old 06-02-2014, 05:03 PM

612 posts, read 843,395 times

Old 06-02-2014, 05:26 PM

8,452 posts, read 4,748,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuteTheMall View Post
I stop at a stop sign.
No cars are approaching at a legal speed within range of a possible collision if I pull out now.
In other words, it is safe to proceed unless someone illegally speeds.

Whose fault would a collision be?
The driver who stopped, looked, and proceeded, or the illegal speeder who would have had the right of way had he not been speeding?

"I could have made it had that other guy not been speeding."

What caused this collision?
Are you saying you don't consider the apparent speed of the person approaching you when deciding whether to pull in front of them, and just assume they are going the speed limit? That would seem to be faulty judgement on your part to me and I would consider any accident that resulted to be your fault.

Old 06-02-2014, 06:12 PM

15,427 posts, read 25,801,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
Your "logic" is not making any sense. Just because "a" doesn't ALWAYS lead to "b" doesn't mean that "a" NEVER causes "b."

Of course not EVERY car that goes fast will crash, but speeding CAN cause a crash. If I am going 100 mph on a curvy road that was designed for 20 mph, there is no way I'm going to be able to keep control of my car. When I fly off the road and hit a tree, the cause is speed......the wrong speed for the circumstances.
Poor judgement is the cause not speed.

Old 06-02-2014, 06:29 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,239,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post

You just proved his point. Speed did not cause the accident, you not being in control of the vehicle did. The speed contributed to the accident, but the proximate cause was loss of control.

Old 06-02-2014, 07:04 PM

6,471 posts, read 6,672,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Poor judgement is the cause not speed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
You just proved his point. Speed did not cause the accident, you not being in control of the vehicle did. The speed contributed to the accident, but the proximate cause was loss of control.
I think you're splitting hairs.

I could decide to drive with my eyes closed, and of course I would crash. Did I crash because of poor judgement or because my eyes were closed?

Either way, it was a stupid thing to do. When someone speeds excessively, for the road conditions, a crash is likely to occur. I call it speed, you call it poor judgement. Pot-A-to pot-AHH-to.

But all of this bickering about whether or not speed causes wrecks isn't really the topic of the thread. I definitely believe that tailgating is far more dangerous than modest (5-10 mph) speeding. I can say, almost without exception, that I do not tailgate, and I do not understand why anyone does. And I absolutely believe that if someone is in the left lane holding up traffic, they need to move right and let faster drivers pass!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive