Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2014, 07:42 PM

3,477 posts, read 6,511,864 times

Advertisements

Yosemite National Park to Des Moines, Iowa. I little over 1,600 miles. Junky old car too - had a bit of a breakdown in Omaha. As far as most miles in one day - Tucumcari, New Mexico to Barstow, California. 850 miles and 17 hours (same junky car). I took a lot more chances in my early 20s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2014, 07:44 PM

7,800 posts, read 4,400,201 times
From Key West to Seattle Washington and back again.

Old 05-24-2014, 07:46 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,907,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
Left NE Ohio on a Saturday morning. Arrived in Tucson on Monday afternoon. Stayed Saturday night in Missouri and Sunday night in Texas. 2100 miles.

Just set the CC and listened to the radio. Time went faster than I thought.

I did not drink anything after I woke up. Had a few sips of water while driving. Did not need any restroom breaks. Waited to eat when I got to the motels. That wasn't by choice. Had my dog in the car, it was summer, so I couldn't leave him in there. When I stopped to walk and feed him I had a pack of cheese crackers. That kept me until I got to the motel.

I was moving. I wouldn't have done that for a vacation.
That reminds me of when I moved back to AZ from MI. I drove to St. Louis the first day, to Oklahoma City the next day and planned on spending the night in NM. Then decided I just wanted to get HOME so drove straight through instead. I don't even remember how many miles I drove on that trip but it was a LOT. Maybe that one is the longest trip alone but I've done a few that were close to that. I LOVE my road trips! One of the best I did was year before last when I drove over 800 miles JUST around AZ! lol

Old 05-24-2014, 07:56 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
What's the farthest you've driven alone?
2300 miles

Quote:
What's the farthest you've driven alone in one day?
1200 miles.

Old 05-24-2014, 08:08 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,400,832 times
The longest trip I used to do solo with regularity was from Greenwich, CT to Naples, FL, ~1300 miles, split over two days. I used to reposition one of my grandmother's vehicles for use in Naples, returning it home to Greenwich at the end of the season. She kept a car in Florida, too, but was most comfortable with her car, that was not touched by anyone, except me for the repositioning, and to take it for servicing. I am glad that I had the opportunity to make that exhausting drive now that she is no longer on the Earthly plane.

I have driven solo from Manhattan to Los Angeles, by choice, taking time to enjoy the route, ~5 days. On the return trip, I did make numerous stops to visit friends/family, and had a passenger for part of the route, so it was several long-ish trips that were solo.

I've driven ~1000 miles in a day, and that took about 20 hours, factoring stops for food, fuel, and restroom. It was an exhausting drive, such that I try to stay under ~750 miles in a day if I have to undertake a long road trip alone.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 05-24-2014, 08:10 PM

25,575 posts, read 17,286,360 times
Alone? 750,000 miles.

One day? About 850.

OK. I was a professional trucker.

Old 05-24-2014, 08:14 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,319,598 times
Farthest alone in one day: Stowe, Vermont, to Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Stopped twice. It was still light out when I got home, which surprised me given how much road construction I experienced between Edinboro, PA, and Pittsburgh. Driving across NY on the Thruway is so much more pleasant than driving across Pennsylvania on the Turnpike.

Old 05-24-2014, 08:55 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,117,601 times
Somewhere between 400 and 500 miles.

Old 05-24-2014, 09:00 PM

1,846 posts, read 4,742,295 times
About 20 hoirs from Kansas City to Ft Myers, Fl

Old 05-24-2014, 09:49 PM

1,971 posts, read 3,044,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
What's the farthest you've driven alone?

What's the farthest you've driven alone in one day?

My cars have traditionally been too unreliable to make it much out of state. I think the most distant I've ever driven my own car was Spirit Lake, Iowa, about 400 miles or so via my roundabout way (I hit as many counties as possible, as my goal then, now complete, was to visit every MN county). That was in one day.

I recently was planning a road trip in my own car, initially to Louisiana and later to Arkansas in my old Buick, but upon being discouraged by family members but the bookings on Hotwire final, I went out and got a cheap rental. Being over 25 has its perks, doesn't it? I drove to St. Louis through Madison straight through, about a 700-mile trip, factoring in an error that took me about 5 miles off track. I left at 11:30 AM and arrived at 1:00 AM, stopping in Madison and trying out Venezuelan food (so I can check that off), and at quite a few truck stops along the way. I came back a different way with nights spent in Hannibal, MO and Cedar Rapids, IA.
The longest drive I have done myself is Miami to Minneapolis, which is 1787 miles.
I have also driven Minneapolis to Portland OR, which is 1727 miles.

I have driven from Tucson to Portland and back, which is 2900 miles in total but I spent 10 days in Portland in between.

The furthest I have driven alone in one day is Atlanta to Harrisburg PA, 715 miles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive