Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 09:16 AM

18,458 posts, read 15,236,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Prices are already high in New York. Charging one dollar more per gallon for the use of debit and credit cards is overkill. I know the store needs to make money, but high prices are ridiculous. Customers need to take their business elsewhere.

If I am ever on Long Island, I like to know what store this is so I can avoid it.
Here it is. Turns out I'm not the only one to complain about this.
http://m.yelp.com/biz/gulf-mart-hauppauge
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2014, 09:20 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
I stopped for gas on the Long Island Expressway on my way home from the holiday weekend. The price without the credit card is posted all over the place. Around where I live the stations charge an extra .10 or .15 to use a credit card, so I didn't really think anything about it. As I was pumping, I noticed the sign off to the side of the pump…

Luckily, I noticed about 6 gallons in, so I stopped pumping, but I can't imagine people using this station on a regular basis. I usually take about 15 or 16 gallons when I fill up my tank. $15 or $16 seems really excessive to pay for nothing more than the "privilege" of using a credit card. It must be working for them though, as they wouldn't be doing it if it wasn't. They probably get no local customers at all, just commuters who aren't paying attention. Either that, or people who don't mind throwing money away.
holy crap!!!! the standard difference I see is 10 cents a gallon and I think that's fair.

Old 05-28-2014, 11:54 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,096,821 times
I would decline the charge after I found out about it. It wasn't the price I agreed to pay. They advertised the other price. Tough luck for them, Visa/MC have been extremely clear about refusing to deal with merchants that try to use price discrimination. I click "dispute", I get 100% of the money back, and visa/MC go to town on that merchant.

I honestly don't care if they have different prices, but it is has to be extremely obvious and advertised to everyone PRIOR to them entering the facilities. By the time they stopped their car, their resources have been wasted.

Old 05-28-2014, 09:25 PM

28,114 posts, read 63,642,682 times
I complained once to Visa about a minimum to use credit and was told the only thing Visa could do was pull the account...

Lots of Mom and Pops have $20 minimum or up to 5% surcharge for credit...

Old 05-28-2014, 10:23 PM

4,323 posts, read 7,228,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I complained once to Visa about a minimum to use credit and was told the only thing Visa could do was pull the account...

Lots of Mom and Pops have $20 minimum or up to 5% surcharge for credit...
My understanding has been that merchants can suggest a minimum dollar amount to use a major credit card, but cannot require a minimum. If you insist on using a credit card that they advertise they accept, for an amount less than their requested minimum, they supposedly have to accept the card for the purchase, anyway, or risk losing their card acceptance privileges with that particular credit card company.

I can't recall seeing any business other than a small mom & pop type of operation that may have a sign (almost always hand-written) stating something like "Minimum $5 purchase for credit card charge, please".

Old 05-28-2014, 10:46 PM

861 posts, read 1,335,242 times
Long ago, after fill-up, I noticed I had paid 20 cents/gal higher than the price on the sign. I was confused as to why. Then noticed it was a "Full Serve" pump.

Oops.

Old 05-30-2014, 12:08 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Quote:
Around where I live the stations charge an extra .10 or .15 to use a credit card, so I didn't really think anything about it. As I was pumping, I noticed the sign off to the side of the pump…
WTF are those gas prices???!!!!!!!!!!!!

Holy crap. And I got bent the other day because 93 octane was $3.80.

I have never in my life heard of or seen a surcharge for buying gas with a credit card.

You guys let these people ********* like that? Holy crap.

This place would be a total fail where I live.

Old 05-30-2014, 12:17 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,521,957 times
Default Those prices are CRAZY!

Quote:
I stopped for gas on the Long Island Expressway on my way home from the holiday weekend. The price without the credit card is posted all over the place. Around where I live the stations charge an extra .10 or .15 to use a credit card, so I didn't really think anything about it. As I was pumping, I noticed the sign off to the side of the pump…

Luckily, I noticed about 6 gallons in, so I stopped pumping, but I can't imagine people using this station on a regular basis. I usually take about 15 or 16 gallons when I fill up my tank. $15 or $16 seems really excessive to pay for nothing more than the "privilege" of using a credit card. It must be working for them though, as they wouldn't be doing it if it wasn't. They probably get no local customers at all, just commuters who aren't paying attention. Either that, or people who don't mind throwing money away.
Around here it's the same price for cash, debit, or credit. And it was 3.49.9 last time I filled up a few days ago.

Old 05-30-2014, 01:24 PM

18,458 posts, read 15,236,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post

I have never in my life heard of or seen a surcharge for buying gas with a credit card.

NJ gas prices are even less than $3.80 for 93 octane, and that is even with the 10 cent surcharge AND full service. NY gas prices are insane though. A lot of people don't know this, but they are 2 different states. That's why I always fill up my tank in NJ before I leave for the weekend. On a rare occasion, when I don't do a lot of driving out at the beach house, I can make it back to NJ without ever having to fill up in NY. Unfortunately, most trips I need to get some gas in NY. When I do, I am just thankful that I don't have to buy gas there all year round.

As to us "letting" them charge extra, I don't see how we have much of a choice. The only option is not to buy gas from them. Depending on what area you live in, you may not have much of a choice. How far out of your way would you drive each time you needed gas? Add to that that some stations that have the surcharge are still less money than some that don't. I can drive 2 towns over to a station that has no surcharge, but their price is higher than some of the stations in my own town even after paying the surcharge. I would be crazy to drive 2 towns away, only to pay more money.

Old 05-31-2014, 07:16 AM

283 posts, read 349,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post

hilarious that you think charging 10 cents a gallon more, which doesn't even pay the cc fees is ****ing someone over
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive