Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 02:49 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,211,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
OK, next question.

What do you do about it? Speed up, move over or slam or brake check.
Unless you're already at mach 1, just leave them in your dust.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2014, 02:51 PM

1,218 posts, read 3,467,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
Lol, this is perhaps the most popular form of that word today. But, as far as driving, it is when someone is so close behind that you are scared to even hit your brakes for fear of getting rammed from behind.
yes I know it was a joke

Old 05-27-2014, 03:11 PM

6,471 posts, read 6,670,076 times
Quote:
OK, next question.

If I can safely move over, I do that.

If not (for example, I'm on a one-lane road in heavy traffic), I actually slow down a little bit (not to be an a$$hole, but for safety), and put even more distance between me and the car in front of me, to reduce my odds of having to slam on my brakes and get rear-ended. In a case like this, I might not be able to resist the temptation to give a one-finger salute to the person behind me.

Old 05-27-2014, 04:14 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,951,087 times
Quote:
OK, next question.

Slam. Yep, I'm guilty. Almost got myself a new car out of that method once. The look on the tailgating driver's face was priceless. I bet she learned an important lesson that day

Old 05-27-2014, 05:40 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,379,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Slam. Yep, I'm guilty. Almost got myself a new car out of that method once. The look on the tailgating driver's face was priceless. I bet she learned an important lesson that day
That is one of the dumber moves but if your OK with the inconvenience of being rear ended who am I to argue?

Old 05-27-2014, 07:43 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,779,270 times
Define tailgating..

Following too closely for the speed we are going and the conditions (rainy, snow etc.).

When people do that to me, I figure they want to pass, and that would be fine with me. I usually drive in the right lane (slow lane). When someone is on my bumper, I am entirely sympathetic. So I try to make it easier for him to pass me... by slowing down. And if he still doesn't pass, I slow down some more.....

Eventually it works.

Old 05-27-2014, 10:55 PM

794 posts, read 818,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsgators View Post
two seconds isn't a bad rule of thumb, but I like three. the problem with three is that everyone will cut in front of you to ruin that following distance.
Yup. Two seems to be the magic distance

Old 05-28-2014, 07:42 AM

1,212 posts, read 4,910,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VT22 View Post
Yes, when I can't see the headlights of the car behind my car, that's tailgating.
IT's dangerous, rude, you name it....

I agree, and if a collision occurs under those circumstances, I can understand why people want to become violent.... Because you were negligent in following me too close, you crashed my car.... now I have a wrecked car and because I live in Michigan no fault state.... now I am out of a car... my means of transportation to go to work.... and I DID NOTHING WRONG!!!

Yep... I really get ticked when people tailgate me.

Old 05-28-2014, 08:55 AM

169 posts, read 284,002 times
When I look out my rear view mirror, I better be able to see the road in front of your front bumper. Anything less is too way close!

Old 05-28-2014, 10:54 AM

1,509 posts, read 1,794,402 times
Tailgating is when the maniac behind me is too close.
Road hogging is when the idiot in front of me won't get out of my way.
I'm always just right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive