Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 02:09 PM

15,424 posts, read 25,792,502 times

Advertisements

I had this happen to me once when I was 16. I came within inches of rear ending someone, but didn't. He overreacted and pulled off on the shoulder. Since I didn't hit him, I just kept going when the light went green. He got mad and started chasing me. At the next light, I was first in line. He stopped, got out of his car and was screaming at me. I decided to turn right on red and get out of there. He ran back, got in his car, and chased me again. Same deal at the next light. After the third right turn, I realized that my car is no match for his, so I started planning a different way to lose him. He caught up to me and was in the right lane next to me. We were going pretty fast. I saw my opportunity when a light coming up turned green and cars were about to go on the other side of the road. I braked super hard, and then pulled a U-turn. By the time he reacted and got turned around, there were dozens of cars between us. I had lost him, and never saw him again. I didn't hit him, so I can't figure out what he was so mad about.

I think the OP did exactly what they should have done. The only thing that they could do differently has already been suggested - call 911.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2014, 03:36 PM

513 posts, read 798,782 times
I was driving on the highway one night when something similar occurred. I'd change lanes, they would too, they also kept flashing their high beams. Nothing was wrong with my car, my lights were on, etc. My friend and I got off the highway and they followed. We finally pulled into a college lot that you need to be signed in to get in. They drove off driving about 80 in a 30 MPH zone. It was late at night and it was me and a friend going to a party. It was a large pickup truck and I was in a tiny civic. It was unnerving. I don't know what was going on and still don't. Maybe it was a joke, maybe they had malicious intentions.

Old 05-28-2014, 03:53 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,590,117 times
Many years ago, when I was a cute young thing, a trucker on a four-lane highway in rural Illinois started doing that to me. I was in the left lane and needed to start moving to the right lane, to get off. He was driving right next to me. If I slowed down to let him get ahead, he'd slow down. If I speeded up to get ahead of him, he'd speed up.

He was kinda' stoopid, though. I slowed down all the way to 20 mph or so. Yep, he slowed down all the way to 20 mph or so. In his semi.

I hit the gas pedal and left him in the dust.

Old 05-28-2014, 03:53 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,356,421 times
Nothing good is going to result from someone following you like that generally. Call the police, or go park in the nearest police parking lot.

Old 05-28-2014, 04:02 PM

639 posts, read 1,962,975 times
The one time that happened to me, it was a lady in a minivan, so I wasn't really scared. I had made an illegal u-turn, and the lady driving behind me made a very exaggerated face and threw up her hands. My little sister in the passenger seat instantly copied her. The lady was so mad she made an illegal u-turn herself and started following me, pulled up beside me at the next light and was screaming at me, then very deliberately switched to screaming at my little sister. She was just a kid making funny faces...jeez, lady, calm down. I just flipped her off and drove away.

Old 05-28-2014, 04:14 PM

19,113 posts, read 25,305,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee188 View Post
The one time that happened to me, it was a lady in a minivan, so I wasn't really scared. I had made an illegal u-turn, and the lady driving behind me made a very exaggerated face and threw up her hands. My little sister in the passenger seat instantly copied her. The lady was so mad she made an illegal u-turn herself and started following me, pulled up beside me at the next light and was screaming at me, then very deliberately switched to screaming at my little sister. She was just a kid making funny faces...jeez, lady, calm down. I just flipped her off and drove away.
Correction:
That particular female person was not "a lady".

When I was growing up, a "lady" was a genteel woman of excellent breeding and high moral character. If a woman did not fit those criteria, then she was merely...a woman.

Why do some people nowadays refer to low-class females as "ladies" when the term "woman" would be far more appropriate?

Old 05-28-2014, 04:38 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,665,340 times
Quote:
I figured as soon as I called the police they would have left anyway and I would have got in trouble for calling 911.
If you report the situation accurately, you are unlikely to get in "trouble" for calling 911. The dispatcher might chew you out, and you are unlikely to get any help, but you won't get into trouble.

Plus if the situation does go south, it's always better for your defense if you can prove you were the first to call the police.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Nothing good is going to result from someone following you like that generally. Call the police, or go park in the nearest police parking lot.
Around here, the police dispatcher goes home at 4PM, if not earlier.

I'd be better off parking in the nearest Walmart parking lot, at least that way there'd be cameras recording, and people with guns.

Old 05-28-2014, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
I'd be better off parking in the nearest Walmart parking lot, at least that way there'd be cameras recording, and people with guns.

...unfortunately, those folks are probably high on Crystal Meth...

Old 05-28-2014, 04:45 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,010,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Correction:
That particular female person was not "a lady".

When I was growing up, a "lady" was a genteel woman of excellent breeding and high moral character. If a woman did not fit those criteria, then she was merely...a woman.

Why do some people nowadays refer to low-class females as "ladies" when the term "woman" would be far more appropriate?

I prefer the term.. "Devils Spawn" to refer to those creatures.

Old 05-28-2014, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
I prefer the term.. "Devils Spawn" to refer to those creatures.
That works, also!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive