Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will my car be totaled
Yes 3 75.00%
No 0 0%
Maybe 1 25.00%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 10:30 AM

3 posts, read 20,535 times

Advertisements

Yesterday afternoon, my car was in crash. I wasn't driving the at at the time a family member was. He was the one at fault. He slammed on the breaks use to the fact the one in front of him stopped really fast and they had a collision. He actually slid on the wet road and spun a little.

The car is actually in pretty good condition if you ask me but because the crash affected the driver/left side the air bags went off. And I'm scared the car will get totaled. I just finished paying it off and putting in some new rims and I'm worried they'll take it away from me. I have yet to file a claim but I did talk to agent and he said if the car does not take more 70% of what the car is worth they will not total it. My concern being the airbags because I heard they are really expensive to fix !

My car is a Honda Accord 2006 (I really don't know the brand) but the mileage is more then 100k I know that for sure. Any help because I've been freaking out about it cause I got many nice things done to it for them to take it away
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2014, 10:38 AM

5,075 posts, read 11,072,535 times
You're misinformed. Insurance doesn't take the car away from you. You have the option of having the wreck returned to you and they deduct that value from the settlement. Usually this is referred to a 'buy back'.

Also, regardless of sentimental attachment to a particular car, the majority of vehicles that are totaled in a collision are not worth fixing - financially at least. Actually returning a collision damaged unibody car to original condition is extremely expensive. You can't just bend the metal back in shape and restore the structural integrity in most cases.

Old 05-29-2014, 10:42 AM

5,251 posts, read 14,243,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarch View Post
You're misinformed. Insurance doesn't take the car away from you. You have the option of having the wreck returned to you and they deduct that value from the settlement. Usually this is referred to a 'buy back'.
Depends on the state, some states do not let you rebuild. A state like Florida for example will make you get a cert of destruction, and you can not legally drive the vehicle on the road again. That being said, there is no way to know if the car will be totaled with out pictures, even then its questionable. Just wait for your insurances to look at the car, and get back to you.

Old 05-29-2014, 10:45 AM

5,075 posts, read 11,072,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
Depends on the state, some states do not let you rebuild. A state like Florida for example will make you get a cert of destruction, and you can not legally drive the vehicle on the road again. That being said, there is no way to know if the car will be totaled with out pictures, even then its questionable. Just wait for your insurances to look at the car, and get back to you.
Allowing a rebuild is different than taking the car away. Sure, if you can't rebuild it you won't be able to drive it on public roads, but you could still keep it as an off-roader or a lawn ornament.

Old 05-29-2014, 11:25 AM

2,008 posts, read 4,723,877 times
You could always just buy another 2006 Honda Accord and take the stuff off the wrecked one that you had done and put it on the new one.

My vote is yes. Airbags alone are usually like 3500. Or at least they used to be.

I also looked on KBB and a 2006 Accord 4dr EX with 100000 miles and no extra options ticked off in perfect condition is only worth 10k to private party, which is usually more than the value insurance appraisers use.

Old 05-29-2014, 11:58 AM

17,302 posts, read 22,030,713 times
Car is old, nothing special with 100K miles on it.....If the airbags are still $3500 it will probably be totaled.

I recently had a similar age/miles pickup with no body damage, no glass damage go to the boneyard after a front collision. Nose got hit hard, airbag blew and the math was bad on putting it back together.

Old 05-29-2014, 05:43 PM

414 posts, read 930,993 times
8 year old Honda Accord with 100k miles + airbags deployed and body damage. I'd be surprised if they didn't consider it a total loss.

How much longer had you planned on keeping it?? ...just curious.

Sorry to hear this happened though

Old 05-29-2014, 06:11 PM

9,822 posts, read 11,544,162 times
Take the payout and buy another one
And oh yea!
Your insurance is going to go up also. Quit letting irresponsible people drive your car

Old 06-02-2014, 04:51 PM

Unhappy Bad news

So, the auto repair shop took apart my whole car without even asking me so it is definitely undrivable now. They want to charge me double for what they did and that's not even right. What should I do ?

Old 06-02-2014, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarch View Post

Also, regardless of sentimental attachment to a particular car, the majority of vehicles that are totaled in a collision are not worth fixing - financially at least. Actually returning a collision damaged unibody car to original condition is extremely expensive. You can't just bend the metal back in shape and restore the structural integrity in most cases.
So, the auto repair shop took apart my whole car without even asking me so it is definitely undrivable now. They want to charge me double for what they did and that's not even right. What should I do ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive