Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 10:36 AM

3,105 posts, read 3,834,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
How often do you encounter "black ice"? It's gotta super fricken cold for it to occur here, our weather idiots talk about it maybe once a year despite us having one of our coldest winters ever last year. I've never hit or expierenced it in Minnesota in 19 yrs of driving winters here.
We get it whenever there are above freezing daytime temps and wet roads, followed by below freezing temps.

A few months back I hit a patch in my 8,000+ lb diesel going over Vail pass. Fortunately I had bed full of dirt bikes, but none the less the whole truck slid about 1ft towards the ditch @ 55mph before hooking back up. The truck behind me was not so lucky and fish tailed a few times before flying off into the ditch .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2015, 10:54 AM

6,556 posts, read 7,136,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado^ View Post
We get it whenever there are above freezing daytime temps and wet roads, followed by below freezing temps.

A few months back I hit a patch in my 8,000+ lb diesel going over Vail pass. Fortunately I had bed full of dirt bikes, but none the less the whole truck slid about 1ft towards the ditch @ 55mph before hooking back up. The truck behind me was not so lucky and fish tailed a few times before flying off into the ditch .
Wow, doesn't sound like fun! Too bad for the guy behind you. We only get it when it's say -20 out and exhaust from cars somehow freezes to the freeways.

Old 01-12-2015, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado^ View Post
Duratracs are a *great* all round tire and are studdable which is a big plus, but not a lot of siping though. This winter I went with a more serious winter tire (Cooper Discoverer) and had it studded. Significantly more traction, but as expected, ho-hum dry road performace - the usual squishy vague feeling that true snow tires have round corners.
I run these same tires, but not studded, I love'em! I have to plow a little differently now when pushing snow and not slow down as early at the ends of parking lots due to the great grip.

Old 01-12-2015, 12:55 PM

45 posts, read 47,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Go for the Raptor if you can spring it.
God if I could....

Old 01-12-2015, 12:56 PM

5,341 posts, read 14,140,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
How often do you encounter "black ice"? It's gotta super fricken cold for it to occur here, our weather idiots talk about it maybe once a year despite us having one of our coldest winters ever last year. I've never hit or expierenced it in Minnesota in 19 yrs of driving winters here.
There is black ice here in MN every year! Usually happens on highly traveled roads in the metro where the moisture from car exhaust ices up on the road when the cars get backed up in traffic. Do you live in a rural area?

Old 01-12-2015, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimtheGuy View Post
There is black ice here in MN every year! Usually happens on highly traveled roads in the metro where the moisture from car exhaust ices up on the road when the cars get backed up in traffic. Do you live in a rural area?
I live in Roseville, a block from Minneapolis.

Old 01-12-2015, 05:14 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,473,840 times
There is only ONE way that a 4WD pickup performs very decently on slick roads--with a bunch of weight in the back. The people who say otherwise likely haven't driven 4WD pickups in rigorous enough slick conditions. I have--over 4 decades of driving pickups in places where really bad winter driving conditions are common. Powerful high-torque pickups--diesel pickups, the Raptor, etc.--can be even more tricky. Just a little too heavy a foot when accelerating and they can really start sliding around--even in 4WD. The more torque the pickup's engine has, the more weight you need to put in the back. I typically suggest 400-600 lbs. placed as far back in the pickup bed as possible. Tube Sand works great. 5 to 8 80 lb. bags works very well. Even traction aiding devices like rear locking or limited slip differentials and dedicated winter tires are of limited value without weight in the back of the truck.

Old 01-12-2015, 05:22 PM

50,288 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
There is only ONE way that a 4WD pickup performs very decently on slick roads--with a bunch of weight in the back. The people who say otherwise likely haven't driven 4WD pickups in rigorous enough slick conditions. I have--over 4 decades of driving pickups in places where really bad winter driving conditions are common. Powerful high-torque pickups--diesel pickups, the Raptor, etc.--can be even more tricky. Just a little too heavy a foot when accelerating and they can really start sliding around--even in 4WD. The more torque the pickup's engine has, the more weight you need to put in the back. I typically suggest 400-600 lbs. placed as far back in the pickup bed as possible. Tube Sand works great. 5 to 8 80 lb. bags works very well. Even traction aiding devices like rear locking or limited slip differentials and dedicated winter tires are of limited value without weight in the back of the truck.
People go, why are you putting your cut firewood back into the truck?

Did you see the news this am? Black ice on the 8 at the pass

Old 01-12-2015, 05:30 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
get yourself a used Cherokee for a good snow vehicle.

yup.... only ONE way that a 4WD pickup performs very decently on slick roads--with a bunch of weight in the back.

pickups / vans... not great 'traction grabbers'. Especially on black Ice in windy conditions.

I pulled my 4WD pickup out of a lot of mucky / snowy farm conditions with my 51' GMC 'low slung' 1WD pickup, with it's narrow 7.00x16 split rim bias tires!

I Loved my '61 Studebaker Diesel truck with Yokohama's for the blizzard / freezing fog 'night runs' across CO, WY, and SD.
3 million 'sure footed' miles. She handled great, brought me home every night, and was always ready for more!
//www.city-data.com/forum/membe...lion-miles.jpg

Old 01-12-2015, 07:07 PM

50,288 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
get yourself a used Cherokee for a good snow vehicle.

yup.... only ONE way that a 4WD pickup performs very decently on slick roads--with a bunch of weight in the back.

pickups / vans... not great 'traction grabbers'. Especially on black Ice in windy conditions.

I pulled my 4WD pickup out of a lot of mucky / snowy farm conditions with my 51' GMC 'low slung' 1WD pickup, with it's narrow 7.00x16 split rim bias tires!

I Loved my '61 Studebaker Diesel truck with Yokohama's for the blizzard / freezing fog 'night runs' across CO, WY, and SD.
3 million 'sure footed' miles. She handled great, brought me home every night, and was always ready for more!
//www.city-data.com/forum/membe...lion-miles.jpg
Are studded tires legal in any States? Those were the ice tires.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive