Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 09:53 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,667,017 times

Advertisements

Based on what you want to do, I'd recommend either an XJ Cherokee or if you are dead set on that list above, the Nissan. I'm not a big fan of Chrysler in general but that Cherokee would definitely do the trick and they're pretty reliable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2014, 11:35 AM

2,983 posts, read 4,623,481 times
I'm not sure why Subaru made it on your list. They're good cars, but not built for any kind of off road use.

The Xterra is the only one on your list I would consider. You should also give serious consideration to the Jeep Wrangler or XJ Cherokee like the other posters mentioned.

Old 05-30-2014, 01:51 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,444,149 times
Out of all those I would go with the Chevy Colorado. It's a very well designed vehicle with a lot of ground clearance.

Don't just look at those numbers. They are for the lowest point which on a truck is the bottom of the differential. You can avoid bashing it on objects if you put some thought into the path you take down a trail. Put your WHEEL over a rock or a bump.

Old 05-30-2014, 08:49 PM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
For new, factory vehicles the choices for actual 4x4 trails, vs dirt roads, is pretty limited. Short of exotics, the two that come to mind are the Jeep Wrangler and Nissan Xterra. Both are body on frame, with real 4x4 transfer cases and low range. Both are available with locking differentials ( I believe both front and rear on the Rubicon and Pro4X). They also come with (or are available with) skid plates to protect the spendy parts.

I saw the claim of the ground clearance of the Outback. My wife had one (at the same time I had the X). I find the figures highly questionable-the Outie sits far lower. It's possible the low point of the X(bottom of the diff) is close to the same GC as the entire bottom of the Outie, but I really question that. I don't think many people are going to recommend an Outie on a trail.

Really though, if you are going to off road, a new or nearly new vehicle isn't the way to go, unless you have a lot of money to blow. Think about a used X, Wrangler, Cherokee or modify an old Toyota pickup. Wheeling with any daily driver can get expensive, both for repair parts and for modifications to make it more capable off road. At the least you're going to want a limited slip or locking rear axle. You might be better off to buy a street vehicle and get a ATV/UTV for offroading. There is a whole lot to be said for not trashing the rig that has to take you to work Monday morning, and a quad/UTV is a whole lot more fun for many off-road adventures.

Old 05-30-2014, 10:04 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,099,655 times
For 15k you can buy a first gen Porsche Cayenne S with AWD and low range gear setting, lockable center/rear differentials, 350hp, etc. It'll beat any SUV you put it up against offroad. Ground clearance is a max of 10.8" with the adjustable suspension models, I think it's 10" with the standard suspension.

They were overbuilt machines, much more offroad capable than my Jeep GC Overland is, with proper tires of course.

Old 05-30-2014, 10:05 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sobefobik View Post
Yes, the subaru is AWD and doesn't have the low gear. These are the factory clearances...what are you getting at?

You seem to be confused about ground clearance. Factory ground clearances are 7-9 inches. Most 4x4 vehicles are adequate for normal off road excursions and unless the driver is just plain stupid and asks the vehicle to do something its not equipped to do most 4x4s will perform fine. Unless you plan on doing some crazy rock crawling or high speed desert running off road (and buy a vehicle designed for that type of off road)you're better off investing in front and rear lockers winch and a good set of tires. Those are fairly minimal upgrades IMO.
And most important know your and your vehicles limitations. Use your head when off the beaten path

Last edited by Electrician4you; 05-30-2014 at 10:20 PM..

Old 05-31-2014, 08:02 AM

4,625 posts, read 12,295,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
For 15k you can buy a first gen Porsche Cayenne S with AWD and low range gear setting, lockable center/rear differentials, 350hp, etc. It'll beat any SUV you put it up against offroad. Ground clearance is a max of 10.8" with the adjustable suspension models, I think it's 10" with the standard suspension.

They were overbuilt machines, much more offroad capable than my Jeep GC Overland is, with proper tires of course.
you have absolutely no clue about offroad now do you? When this little pretty SUV car can do this you let me know.

Project-JK: Off Road Evolution Conquers the Rubicon Trail Little Sluice - YouTube

Old 05-31-2014, 08:44 AM

1,133 posts, read 2,020,839 times
This might be the worst advice I've ever seen given on this forum. Do you have any idea what maintenance costs are on a Cayenne? Also, it isn't and never was built and intended to be used off-road other than dirt roads. Seriously, a Cayenne for off-roading...LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post

Old 05-31-2014, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
you have absolutely no clue about offroad now do you? When this little pretty SUV car can do this you let me know.

Project-JK: Off Road Evolution Conquers the Rubicon Trail Little Sluice - YouTube
I know enough to know that the JK isn't what the OP is looking for, at all. I also know that between my Cayenne and my Jeep GC Overland, (true SUVs) which came standard with the Upcountry suspension, quadra drive, rock rails, skid plates, etc... is no match for my Cayenne offroad.

But good job posting a video of a Wrangler, which isn't an SUV at all compared to what the OP listed.

(I can see your timeout didn't improve your attitude any.)

Old 05-31-2014, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haudi View Post
This might be the worst advice I've ever seen given on this forum. Do you have any idea what maintenance costs are on a Cayenne? Also, it isn't and never was built and intended to be used off-road other than dirt roads. Seriously, a Cayenne for off-roading...LOL
Yes, I kind of do... since I have one. My Jeep has cost a lot more to maintain than the Cayenne by far. I suggest you go read reviews of the first gen Cayenne to learn how badass it is offroad, because clearly you have no idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive