Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2014, 08:22 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,099,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
This is not a police matter as he willingly gave them the car, it wasn't stolen. You can't give someone permission to drive your car and then declare it stolen.
Ironically, perhaps to you, you can do precisely this pretty much anywhere in America. You simply contact them and inform them that they no longer have the right to use the car. If they do not cease use, it is stolen. Otherwise I could get permission to use someone's car, and then drive away and never return it.

PS. OP - you are the owner of the car. Stop referring to the seller as the owner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2014, 07:07 PM

16 posts, read 34,682 times
OK - so after quite a bit of research at the county clerk office, sheriff department and local police department - it has been a very busy day. In the state of TN to get the title changed over it has to be registered at the same time and to do that it must go through smog test. Since the date on the signed over title is back last September the sheriff said it was a civil matter but he accompanied me to the residence and kept the peace while I once again asked for the keys to the vehicle. She came out like a bull dog saying that I had come to 'steal her car', I produced the title for the sheriff and he asked her name and said that it matched the title. She swore up and down it was not her signature and that the title was faked, that apparently I am a master forger. The sheriff asked her for the title to the car and she could not produce it. After he called his chief his recommendation was to get a 'writ of possession'. Once down at the court house to get the warrant, I was asked if I wanted a regular one or an immediate one. The difference being the regular one could takes weeks - which wouldn't help as she is moving out of state in about 10 days, and the immediate one, as far as I could understand required a bond in the amount of the value of the car and I go and talk to a judge who then makes a decision. I have never dealt with bonds or warrants before - any input??? advice???

Old 06-11-2014, 08:34 PM

also just found out that she had someone take and hide the car - not sure of my options now

Old 06-11-2014, 08:37 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,837,332 times
get the immediate writ. usually the bond is refunded to you after a certain period of time with no action against the bond.

Old 06-11-2014, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geophoenix1 View Post
also just found out that she had someone take and hide the car - not sure of my options now
once you get the writ she has to produce the car, our she is in violation of the law and can be arrested and forced to produce the car. you can also then report the car as stolen, and then it becomes a criminal matter at which time the cops are forced to get involved, and the person she hid the car with is also in deep trouble for receiving stolen property.

Old 06-11-2014, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
get the immediate writ. usually the bond is refunded to you after a certain period of time with no action against the bond.
What does "no action against the bond" mean, what action could be taken. I know nothing of bond; what they are or how they work.

Old 06-12-2014, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geophoenix1 View Post
What does "no action against the bond" mean, what action could be taken. I know nothing of bond; what they are or how they work.
no action against the bond means just that, no one claims the bond amount. usually the bond indemnifies you against the car being seized by the previous owner through legal means, but check in your area there may be conditions with the bond. your states rules may be different than other states.

Old 06-12-2014, 03:26 PM

and remember you are on the clock right now, so dont waste time or you will lose the car and your money, and have no recourse.

Old 09-28-2015, 08:47 PM

1 posts, read 785 times
I'm following this thread because I have a similar issue. Great responses so thanks in advance. HOWEVER, hoping someone can legally tell me my options. Said car (we have signed over title) is stuck in a garage in a house they own - hasn't been moved or started in years. Key should be at that house but now they say they can't find it. On top of that, the car is in the locked garage, and is blocked in by another vehicle that is broken down. So how do I go about getting my car out of their garage? I know I can call a locksmith, but can I legally move their other car that is blocking in my car in the garage?

Old 09-29-2015, 12:48 PM

10,926 posts, read 21,994,915 times
We aren't lawyers, for legal advice I would suggest you consult with one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive