Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2014, 10:00 AM

16 posts, read 34,662 times

Advertisements

I have a quick question... I bought a car from a family friend awhile back. They signed the title and gave it too me. Circumstances occurred and they needed to keep the car for awhile and I let them. But now it has been long enough and I can't get the keys from them to get the title in my name. Do I have any rights? I afraid they may have gotten a duplicate title recently. help please - am i just screwed here or can i do anything
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2014, 10:08 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,266,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geophoenix1 View Post
I have a quick question... I bought a car from a family friend awhile back. They signed the title and gave it too me. Circumstances occurred and they needed to keep the car for awhile and I let them. But now it has been long enough and I can't get the keys from them to get the title in my name. Do I have any rights? I afraid they may have gotten a duplicate title recently. help please - am i just screwed here or can i do anything
Your first mistake was to do business with family or friend. If they signed over the title to you why can't you put the title in your name. Do you need the car for that?

Old 05-30-2014, 10:11 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,284,410 times
Call the police and have them meet you where the car and your "friend" are located.

Also I hope you have the signed title AND a bill of sale or receipt for what you paid for the car? Or a canceled check or money order receipt - duplicate of certified check, etc.???? (Something on paper which is evidence you paid them money.)

Old 05-30-2014, 10:12 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,263,202 times
Some friend.

You don't need the keys to put the car in your name. That being said, I don't know as I'd go to the expense of transferring the title until I had the car in my posession.

Assuming other members of your family who are also friends with this person will have your back, I'd just start getting people to lean on him to turn over the keys. Or do it covertly, have someone "borrow" the car and bring it to you.

Given that you have the signed title and assuming that you've paid them in full, you do have legal rights, but I don't know as I'd push them from a legal standpoint given that they might tear it up before they give it to you. If you go that route I'd probably push for a judgement to get my money back rather than the vehicle.

Old 05-30-2014, 10:16 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,948,301 times
You have a signed-off title. so go and have the car towed. You don't even need to transfer the title to do that. The signed-off title is prime facie evidence that the holder is the rightful owner and the prior owner has relinquished all rights to the car. It might cost a hundred bucks or so to have a locksmith prepare you a set of keys,, if the previous owner does not then surrender them voluntarily under threat of criminal action which will seem very credible to him when he sees the tow truck disappearing down the street...

Last edited by jtur88; 05-30-2014 at 10:27 AM..

Old 05-30-2014, 10:17 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,259,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Your first mistake was to do business with family or friend. If they signed over the title to you why can't you put the title in your name. Do you need the car for that?
+1 If they signed the title over why can't you put the title in your name? That doesn't even make sense and I'm not sure if this is a civil or criminal issue without knowing why you can't put the title in your name...

Old 05-30-2014, 10:26 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,124,133 times
Put the title in your name and report to the police that it was stolen. I bet that will get their attention and get your keys back.

Old 05-30-2014, 10:29 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,093,624 times
I love threads like these, there's always much more to the story than was originally told. OP, why don't you tell us the WHOLE story, because frankly, if you have a signed title, you can get a title in your name without any keys at all. Have a locksmith make you a set of keys, get the car towed, etc. You're leaving something out of your story.

Old 05-30-2014, 11:18 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,816,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
I love threads like these, there's always much more to the story than was originally told. OP, why don't you tell us the WHOLE story, because frankly, if you have a signed title, you can get a title in your name without any keys at all. Have a locksmith make you a set of keys, get the car towed, etc. You're leaving something out of your story.
This. What does having keys have to do with ownership of the car? If you have the title, have the car towed and pay for new keys.

Old 05-30-2014, 11:46 AM

10,581 posts, read 9,781,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
You have a signed-off title. so go and have the car towed. You don't even need to transfer the title to do that. The signed-off title is prime facie evidence that the holder is the rightful owner and the prior owner has relinquished all rights to the car. It might cost a hundred bucks or so to have a locksmith prepare you a set of keys,, if the previous owner does not then surrender them voluntarily under threat of criminal action which will seem very credible to him when he sees the tow truck disappearing down the street...
This varies a lot, by state.

Which state are you in? Is the car, and the "friend", in the same state?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive