Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 08:05 AM

774 posts, read 2,600,871 times

Advertisements

I would not run 10-40 in a car designed for 5-20. The passages in the motor might be far too small for the heavier oil to get into quickly.

Personally I would ask someone to drive you to the store and do it right. Is it worth a motor if you're wrong?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2014, 08:10 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,189,163 times
Other than some accelerated wear on the oil pump I can't think of any harm it will do.

Old 06-19-2014, 09:17 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,805,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
If you would have read the thread you would know that is what I did. My quandary is that it is 12 miles one way, and not just a block or 2.
My bad, I saw the post about your dad recommending using the 10-40. I missed the next part of the post cuz my brain was thinking you'd listen to your old man, haha.

Old 06-19-2014, 11:44 AM

4,625 posts, read 12,287,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMack View Post
MY issue with this is the fact you drained the oil without having the oil your owner's manual says to use ON HAND.
Yes, this was an error on my part, so you must be perfect? Dad always said the only perfect person he ever meet was a perfect A#@$%^&. However, I had the wherewithal to rectify the situation. I was interested in opinions rather accusation, but congratulations on being perfect. You deserve a star.

Old 06-20-2014, 06:21 PM

3,503 posts, read 7,494,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
If on the jug says motor oil and it is slippery you are fine. I have yet to encounter someone who said his engine failed because he put the wrong grade oil in it.
I could refer you to my friend who sells Crown Vics on occasion. Putting God knows what in place of the spec'd oil for the 4.6L will kill them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
You will be fine. I run 25-40 in my one car and the only difference I see is a few pounds more oil pressure,

Don
You best hope the far reaches inside are getting oiled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
I've been warned by a couple of my friends that are mechanics not to do this. I've heard some new vehicles even have sensors that know if you put the wrong weight oil in it (haven't researched this). Tolerances now are a lot tighter than they were in the older pushrod engines and it can cause damage to the engine from lack of lubrication over time. I'm not a professional mechanic but it does make sense. I'd drive the 12 miles to get it myself.
Your friends need to leave the tin foil hats alone. Otherwise, you are right. Though, older OHC engines were sloppy, too. I probably could get away with heavier goop with my old Ranger and it's 70s era 2.3L.

Old 06-20-2014, 08:38 PM

662 posts, read 1,227,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
I just drained the oil from my truck thinking I had everything and I don't have 5-20 oil. I've got 10-40 for the 350 Chevy, and Mobil 1 for the LS1. Would you put 10-40 in a vehicle that calls for 5-20? Parts store is 12 miles away!
I'm guessing you have a pretty new and likely DOHC truck such as the Ford 3.7 V6 or 5.0 V8 if the manual specs 5W-20. Ford first specced that weight of oil in the late 1990s/early 2000s in the Duratec V6s. There are lots of reports of lack of lubrication-related damage over the long term when people put 5W-30 or 10W-30 instead of that "newfangled" and initially difficult-to-get 5W-20 in the Duratecs. I'd imagine the problem would be at least as bad with an even newer, likely more close-tolerance engine with things like cam phasers and such that the early Duratecs largely didn't have.

I suppose what you really have to weigh is the hassle of getting the correct oil vs. the cost of not getting the correct oil. If it were me, I'd absolutely drive the 24 miles to the parts store and get the correct oil. I'd take the Corvette to make it fun Otherwise you could put the 10W-40 into your truck and then later go get the right oil when you're in town, but you'd want to get that thick stuff out of the engine pretty quick and put the correct oil in. I would really cuss at pitching two gallons of oil (what my 5W-20 requiring 5.0 takes) after only a few dozen miles instead of the usual ~10,000 miles. Also consider engines aren't cheap if you leave the thick stuff in there and roach an engine. A crate 5.0 goes for about $7000 last time I checked and then you have to put in the in the truck. A half-hour in the Corvette to get some oil and bring it back sounds better and better to me. Put on some good music and enjoy the ride
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive