Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2014, 08:41 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,893,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkobe View Post
Anecdotal evidence is dubious at best especially when it flies in the face of overwhelming scientific data that suggests otherwise.

I am a sheet splitter, I split sheets. I'm the best darned sheet splitter that ever split a sheet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2014, 09:44 PM

9,824 posts, read 11,546,362 times
The other Problem with VW is,when they have a TSB they take their time fixing it1

Old 06-01-2014, 10:51 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,035,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRPct View Post
Again. By pure data, VW bad reliability is most certainly NOT a myth. So regardless of the OPs VERY limited experience, his statement is false. They are certainly LESS reliable than the industry standard.

The VDS is based on responses from more than 41,000 original owners of 3-year old vehicles. It is a companion to Power's annual Initial Quality Study, or IQS, that measures problems new vehicles in the first 90 days of ownership.

The VDS offers overall brand lineup scores — Lexus was by far the best — and also lists best individual models by vehicle type. General Motors was segment champ, with eight winners. Toyota won seven.

Brand scores (problems per 100 vehicles for 2011 models; lower is better):

Lexus (68)Mercedes-Benz (104)Cadillac (107)Acura (109)Buick (112)Honda (114)Lincoln (114)Toyota (114)Porsche (125)Infiniti (128)BMW (130)Subaru (131)Chevrolet (132)Jaguar (132)Mazda (132)GMC (133)INDUSTRY AVERAGE (133)Ford (140)Nissan (142)Audi (151)Kia (151)Volvo (152)Scion (153)Chrysler (155)Volkswagen (158)Ram (165)Mitsubishi (166)Hyundai (169)Jeep (178)Land Rover (179)Dodge (181)Mini (185)
Your post has nothing to do with what I said. When reading perhaps try reading, then wait one full minute before beginning a response. Even the data you show is suspect and assumes integrity when reporting and that the small sample size is representative, and most importantly where is the data correlating problems in the first 90 days with long term reliability? Perhaps you just have a trick knee or something that makes you a believer.. All three of my points remain valid.

Old 06-01-2014, 10:55 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Bad reliability is better than no reliability at all.

Old 06-01-2014, 11:03 PM

413 posts, read 763,820 times
From the early 90's on, the bad reputation is well-deserved. I've known a lot of people with VW's of all shapes and sizes. With the exception of one person (who only puts on about 8000 miles a year), they've all had a boatload of problems. Everyone has had numerous electrical issues, Heat/AC, power windows/seats lights not working. Alternators going out, etc. Some have had major engine sludge issues, and most have had problems with plastic stuff breaking, falling off, etc.

When they're new, they're nice cars, fun to drive and all, but they don't hold up. Much like a Land Rover, I wouldn't own one out of warranty.

Old 06-01-2014, 11:10 PM

7 posts, read 9,623 times
lmfao, the 1.8t engines used in the audi a4 and passat were subject to a gigantic class action lawsuit. they died due to excessive sludge.

i purchased a secondhand a4 as a daily driver, what an unreliable piece of junk. the car constantly had issues both major and minor. luckily i totaled the pos after rear-ending some broad.

vw "quality" is a sad joke.

i went on to purchase a bmw 3 series coupe from the same era, much, much more reliable car. still own it to this day, it's never left me stranded and has 180k miles on the clock. runs like new and gets 29 mpg.

Old 06-02-2014, 01:55 AM

243 posts, read 547,551 times
German Reliability: The Greatest Myth Ever Sold to American Car Buyers

Quote:
For proof, I start with my own experience owning German cars. I've owned eight, in total: one from every important German automaker, and also Volkswagen. And they were all complete pieces of crap.

OK, so maybe they weren't that bad. Oh, sure, the transmission died in one of them. And yeah, so I had to replace the ignition switch in another, and a differential in a third. There were failed window regulators, check engine lights, prematurely worn suspension components, and phantom tire pressure monitors. And my Mercedes G-Wagen suffered throttle response problems until I realized it was rusty enough to be a Civil War-era shipwreck. But they were great when they were working, right?

Unfortunately, this is the greatest problem with German cars: they're never working. Oh, sure, they have relatively few problems for the first few years of ownership. (Technically defined as: "Right up until the Thursday after the warranty expires.") But even then, you're still losing an insane amount of money in depreciation. And once the depreciation curve starts to flatten, the problems start to crop up, which means you can't safely own a German car for more than an afternoon without spending as much money as round trip airfare to Bermuda.

The main problem, as I see it, is that the Germans are just too obsessed with stuffing all sorts of newfangled gizmos into their cars. This is largely because no one questions the prowess of German engineering; they're still the best at that. So they continue to show their engineering dominance by creating all sorts of crazy gadgets and sticking them in the cars; stuff that no one wants, such as cooled gloveboxes, and rear armrest refrigerators, and those little tray tables that fold down, presumably to allow people riding in the back of an Audi A8 to do some cocaine.
Bolded emphasis mine.

I wonder about people's perception of what reliable means. VW's may be reliable in the sense that they're wonderfully built to tight tolerances and perform under a narrow range of conditions. But they may not be very robust. Seems like the parts that human beings actually touch and mess with are not so sturdy: gloveboxes, switches, buttons, electrics, knobs, and the like require more delicate handling. VW's, in particular, do not stand up to real life treatment compared to the competition.

Old 06-02-2014, 07:04 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,827,692 times
TrueDelta -- Real Car Owners Driving Real Car Information Check here.

Old 06-02-2014, 07:05 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,665,602 times
I just got rid of my 2003 Audi A4 with the same 1.8T as your Vw. Let me say it was the absolute worst, most unreliable car I have ever owned in my entire life.

I bought the car with 60k miles on it from the original owner. I thought I got a decent deal, and it had all the maintenance records with it. At 90k I had the timing belt and water pump replaced. Found out the engine was sludged up (even with all oil changes done on time using recommended oil). I had the engine cleaned. At 95k the fuel pump and filter had to be replaced even though Audi's manual says the fuel filter is a lifetime filter. After that all of the following happened between 96k and 105k when I got rid of it:

Sunroof went haywire - had to replace the switch
Rough idle - half the plastic fittings and lines on the vacuum system split from dryrot. Replaced the whole vaccum system
Dipstick tube cracked and broke off
All 4 window regulators went bad
Coolant flange leaking - it's the same crappy plastic and deteriorated.
Injector wiring harness melted. Had to replace harness
Coil pack harness on front cylinder melted. Had to replace harness and coil pack (Common on this engine)
Message center in dash went out - would only be visible on cold days. Was blank above 80 degrees F

I gave up before it got any worse.

Not to mention the quality of the interior materials was subpar at best. All of the buttons had paint worn off to the point of not being able to read them.

Old 06-02-2014, 07:40 AM

865 posts, read 2,161,409 times
I remember when I was in college a friend of mine had a 2000 Passat. It was only 7 years old, but so many electrical problems.

They were stupid ones - like if you operated the power seat when the left turn signal was on, the car would shut off and not start until you pulled the terminals off the battery, touched them together, and put them back on. If you did something with the HVAC (can't remember what , exactly), the car would shut off too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive