Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 01:49 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,246,721 times

Advertisements

Yeah I think on average the VW is just going to have more problems, more often.

That said, I bought a 2013 VW GTI because I did my research and decided to take a gamble.

So far I'd rank the car 2nd out of all of the cars I've ever owned in terms of enjoyment and fit and finish. It is very well equipped, but it will no doubt have some issues that I will need to address later on in it's life.

The water pump might go out, I'll need to clean the carbon off the valves eventually, it might develop some interior leaks. It's still under warranty, however I don't expect anything major $1000-1500+ (knock on wood) to go wrong with this car at any point in it's life.

----

I think all the rules still apply here: Don't buy first year cars; be proactive and timely with your maintenance. Don't have unrealistic expectations.

I plan on keeping the car for a while, and although I don't want to be my own test experiment, I'm interested to see how it turns out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2014, 06:54 PM

41,750 posts, read 74,749,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
Plus, their resale value is terrible - most likely as a result of the poor reliability.
Not an issue if you're keeping the car for 10 or 12 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I have a 1973 VW Thing and no issues.
I'm so envious! I always wanted one of those ... things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harhar View Post
Yeah I think on average the VW is just going to have more problems, more often.
My experience was that my Golfs (87 and 98) had fewer problems than other cars I'd owned, but those problems were more expensive to repair.

Old 06-02-2014, 07:35 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,016,998 times
I've never been so excited in my life as when I bought my 1999 Passat! OMG top of the line, heated seats V8, sunroof, leather seats etc.

My first grown up luxury car.

I treated it with kid gloves. Oil change on time to the mile, tire rotation, 60,000 tune up etc.

First engine blew at 67,000 miles.

Second engine blew right after I paid it off at 105,000.

Not to mention the small things that kept going wrong.

I've never been so betrayed in my life.

I'll never buy another VW as long as I live.

Old 06-02-2014, 07:38 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,147,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
I've never been so excited in my life as when I bought my 1999 Passat! OMG top of the line, heated seats V8, sunroof, leather seats etc.
The 1999 Passat never came with a V8

Old 06-02-2014, 07:59 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,016,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
The 1999 Passat never came with a V8
My husband just told me it was the W8 and it was a 2001 or 2002.

Either way, it had two engines blow.

Old 06-02-2014, 10:57 PM

3,503 posts, read 7,459,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
You know why she liked it? Quote: "has pretty lights inside at night".
I rest it here.
Sounds about right. When I used to hang out on Yahoo! forums, that's pretty much the only reason a chick wanted something like a Mini or a new Beetle. "They're cute!"

"Cute" = automaker method of shoving crap onto the general public.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I don't know how to respond except annecdotally...

My Godfather was stationed in Germany in 1961 and bought a new Bug... he drove the car over 50 years and never pulled the engine and it's been 100% reliable... he was an engineer in Mountain View California.

I have a 1973 VW Thing and no issues.

Mom drove a 1976 Rabbit for 30 years... she bought it for $800 and sold it for $600... never did anything, not even a clutch, except for normal maintenance, tires, battery, pads/shoes...

All of the above were very simple cars... all sticks, no A/C, no radio, no power windows etc...

We had friends visit from Germany and they were amazed to see Mom's rabbit... not that it was running... they were amazed it had not rusted away... she lives in California and zero rust!
OTOH, odds are that a 40+ year old car has had a pretty significant going at some point over to be functional. I had a '69 Beetle as a first car. Floorboards still rot. Engine gaskets still get crispy. Electrical fuse panels rot. Wiring gets crispy. Brake hoses bubble and break. Transmission will start jumping out of first gear. Oh, there was that clutch cable that snapped as well as that starter cable that snapped off one night, too.

Old 06-02-2014, 11:13 PM

2,755 posts, read 5,111,732 times
Love them with the TDI, everybody close that I know have been very happy with both VW and Audi.
I do believe they are one of the best value per dollar car you can find in today's market.

Old 06-03-2014, 12:30 AM

2,087 posts, read 4,265,319 times
I bought a new VW Scirrocco 1982?/1983? Clutch went out 6 months later. (No, it wasn't my driving) $600 to replace it and the new clutch vibrated so badly the whole car shook. (So the authorized VW repair shop in Beverly Hill$, was as crappy as the car)
Of course the repair shop said there wasn't a problem with the new clutch.

Turns out the clutch was "off balance", (that's how I remember it) My brother, a car mechanic savant, living in Colorado, discovered this when I gave him the car 8 years later. I had just startedj a new job as a flight attendant with a major carrier, and was only going to make $15,000 a year for the first year or two, and I simply could not afford that car anymore. It was in the shop more than it was on the road. It wasn't dependable. There was Always something wrong the car.

A drunk driver hit it when it was parked, and TOTALED it, 3 days after I gave it to my brother.

A friend bought a new 2001? VW Passat (I think) boxy, ugly. The first year she owned it, she spent more on (non warranty) repairs, than she spent to buy the car! So, the repairs cost more than the car was worth, over $25,000.

From a mechanic's perspective, my brother would never buy a VW or an Audi.

Old 06-03-2014, 06:42 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,606,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 28173 View Post
Love them with the TDI, everybody close that I know have been very happy with both VW and Audi.
I do believe they are one of the best value per dollar car you can find in today's market.

Remind me to avoid whatever market you speak of. If there are more unreliable cars than VW/Audi I don't see how one could afford to keep them running. I was really happy that my Audi was nice to look at because it spent a lot of time in my driveway as a yard ornament while waiting on repairs.

Old 06-03-2014, 07:03 AM

38,707 posts, read 102,794,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leanansidhex View Post
A friend bought a new 2001? VW Passat (I think) boxy, ugly. The first year she owned it, she spent more on (non warranty) repairs, than she spent to buy the car! So, the repairs cost more than the car was worth, over $25,000.
How is this even possible unless the need for repairs was attributable to causes other than manufacturer defect such as an accident or neglect?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive