Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 02:58 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,524,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
But Toyota's are so damn boring and ugly, like driving a Soviet Era Skoda. Just sit in a VW sometime compared to a Toyota. I would drive a Ford or Chevy before a Toyota, stats on websites be damned.
Same mentality here. Finally Ford's and Chevy's are back to being world-class in terms of reliability and generally less expensive with better styling. And Toyota with all the recalls they've had over the last 6-7 years? Why bother?

There was a time where no question buying a Toyota was a better value than the typical American car. Had a 1997 Camry XLE that clearly was better than any large sedan on the market at that time (aside the Maxima.) However for those that say are still loyal to Japanese cars over American cars because of "reliability issues" are living in a 1999 mindset.

European cars are a different breed. If you want one, expect the unexpected and appreciate it. Although I will probably never come around to appreicate VW, ever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2014, 06:25 PM

15,071 posts, read 10,099,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Everyone has bad luck with cars at times.
Of course… bad luck occurs. But from my what I've heard and talk to around local garages, the VWs and Audi's have earned their reputation.

I've had many cars. Even the worst built ones I have owned have hit at least 100,000 miles even with frequent visits to repair. No modern car with today's manufacturing should experience a major drivetrain failure before 100,000 miles. Frequent repairs .. fine… major drivetrain failure… that's shoddy engineering.

Volkswagen & Audi Timing Belt Class Action

and the parts are expensive!

They say… they only have to be pretty in the show room and last through the first lease. My brother (I'm 15+ years senior to him) has a GTI. I loves it but my father (who pays for maintaining it) hates it. The rubber textured interior components seem to be wearing quickly. I warned my father … just wait for the first major mechanical repair. It costs. He's hoping that my brother will be out of college and working by then… it will be his responsibility.

Looking through edmunds.. I can't honestly say I like any of the major brands these days. Most don't even sell manual transmissions anymore. In the past, I've had decent experience with an old Jeep (easy / cheap to fix) and Mazda's. Subaru seem to be holding up fine too. It seems that all the major players have had major surprising recalls...

Last edited by usayit; 06-04-2014 at 06:35 PM..

Old 06-04-2014, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
I am a fan of air cooled VW's. Have owned one of them and loved it. Would love to find another one. many of these 60's era cars cost more than the new VW cars selling today. Thise early cars were easy to work on. remove 4 bolts and two guys can get that engine out of the car and onto the work bench. Basic transportation at its best.
Oh heck yeh.. I'd own an air cooled VW. Basic, easy to work on, reliable. Decent condition Beetles can be easily found around here for well under $10k. Some ok ones for around $5k. The most difficult thing about these… RUST.

I'm still considering one as a tinker. Of course, I would never drive it on salted winter roads.

When I say, Audi/VW never would own one… its more along the modern iterations of them.

Old 06-04-2014, 10:27 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
Of course… bad luck occurs. But from my what I've heard and talk to around local garages, the VWs and Audi's have earned their reputation.

I've had many cars. Even the worst built ones I have owned have hit at least 100,000 miles even with frequent visits to repair. No modern car with today's manufacturing should experience a major drivetrain failure before 100,000 miles. Frequent repairs .. fine… major drivetrain failure… that's shoddy engineering.

Volkswagen & Audi Timing Belt Class Action

and the parts are expensive!

They say… they only have to be pretty in the show room and last through the first lease. My brother (I'm 15+ years senior to him) has a GTI. I loves it but my father (who pays for maintaining it) hates it. The rubber textured interior components seem to be wearing quickly. I warned my father … just wait for the first major mechanical repair. It costs. He's hoping that my brother will be out of college and working by then… it will be his responsibility.

Looking through edmunds.. I can't honestly say I like any of the major brands these days. Most don't even sell manual transmissions anymore. In the past, I've had decent experience with an old Jeep (easy / cheap to fix) and Mazda's. Subaru seem to be holding up fine too. It seems that all the major players have had major surprising recalls...
Everyone in my family was driving at 16 and we all had jobs to pay for our cars...

A lot of the California campuses require dorm living the first year and strongly discourage having a car...

Maybe the situation would change real quick if Dad wasn't footing the bill?

Old 06-04-2014, 11:46 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,711 posts, read 58,042,598 times
I'm no VW fan... Having 3mil fleet miles on my 34 Diesel VW's (and one stinkn gasser Rialta...temporarily... this gasser will become a diesel if the VR6 dies... unlikely)

I just need 50 mpg on multiple sources of FREE fuel, and 25 gallon fuel tanks (1200+ mile range).

I have had to take some trips with fleets of Pious' (state vehicles) Have to stop 2x for fuel each way! Very unnecessary interruption.

So... out of necessity and LOW COST and LOW maintenance, I end driving and minimally repairing my LEAKY VW's. Many were had for $35 at auction, one I had to pay $2000 (TDI PAssat from a 'one-owner'),

My VW's have:
  • Never been to a fix-it shop.
  • Never been towed home / off the road.
  • Never left me stranded.
  • Been CHEAP to maintain ($6 ball joints, belts, & Hoses) Timing belt $7 every 100k, water pump $12 every 200k. Fuel filters ($4 annually).
  • Very inexpensive to operate (under $.07/ mile INCLUDING capital cost (cost of car))

I'm no VW fan... so... find me another 50 mpg alternative fuel car that can be had for under $100, and I will FLEE the fever.

Hand crank windows, metal door handles, and NO SUNROOF! (120" rain / yr at my house) VW's strategically located the fuse panel DIRECTLY under the highest probability of water leak.

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 06-04-2014 at 11:57 PM..

Old 06-05-2014, 06:26 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,665,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshflakes757 View Post
Same mentality here. Finally Ford's and Chevy's are back to being world-class in terms of reliability and generally less expensive with better styling. And Toyota with all the recalls they've had over the last 6-7 years? Why bother?

There was a time where no question buying a Toyota was a better value than the typical American car. Had a 1997 Camry XLE that clearly was better than any large sedan on the market at that time (aside the Maxima.) However for those that say are still loyal to Japanese cars over American cars because of "reliability issues" are living in a 1999 mindset.

European cars are a different breed. If you want one, expect the unexpected and appreciate it. Although I will probably never come around to appreicate VW, ever.

You HAVE seen all the recalls GM currently has out haven't you? I'm in the market next year for a new truck and seriously considered the new GMC Denali truck until all the recalls. With that being said, our 2014 Toyota Venza has to be one of the nicest vehicles we've ridden in.

I'll still stand by any domestic (including Dodge) and Japanese automaker building higher quality vehicles than Europeans. Nowadays when many folks are looking to stretch their dollars in terms of low cost of ownership and reliability Audi/VW just can't compete. Their track record proves that.

Old 06-05-2014, 06:27 AM

4,625 posts, read 12,293,890 times
An entire thread about the real truth of perceived German quality?

Old 06-05-2014, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Everyone in my family was driving at 16 and we all had jobs to pay for our cars...

A lot of the California campuses require dorm living the first year and strongly discourage having a car...

Maybe the situation would change real quick if Dad wasn't footing the bill?
I'm sure. Our age gap equates to growing up in different worlds/environments. When I headed off to college, financial situation of the country and my family weren't all that great. I too went through the same. 1st year my parents assisted, the next 4 years I was on my own. Car payment included.

Years later, things are stabilized. I think my parents wanted to do better.. I think they overcompensated.

Old 06-05-2014, 08:55 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times
Funny thing is my Grandfather was in the car business and we all had to buy our cars... just as my Father and Uncle did...

I'm not saying they never helped out... I could buy any maintenance and repair parts wholesale!

Old 06-05-2014, 01:06 PM

455 posts, read 598,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wankel7 View Post
Wow.

Valve Cover gasket/coolant flange/Coolant Temp Sensor ($417)

How in the heck did you spend that much money on that repair?

Brakes rear x 2 ($490)

Or that one?

I guess this is how much you have to pay if you don't turn your own wrenches?
Don't get me started on the Coolent temp sensor...Since it was a first year production model and a mid-year at that (1999.5) that sensor was different than the ones from 00-05.

Honestly, some work I'll do myself, some I'll let my mechanic handle. All depends on how much time I have available. I guess the old saying rings true with me at least "my time is money". I could have done the gasket, valve and sensor, but just didn't want to dive into the bay, drain all the coolant, go buy more G12 coolant, remove all the crap and put it back together.

The rear brakes I won't do anymore (I've done them once myself) since I don't want to hoof it all over town just to get the caliper piston screwed back in then back to the house, etc. etc. The fronts are easy peasy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive