Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do You Hate People Who Speed Up When You Pass Them
Yes 119 84.40%
No 22 15.60%
Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2014, 07:25 AM

1,528 posts, read 4,233,631 times

Advertisements

Usually people who want to pass me are people who were tailgating me prior to deciding to overtake me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2014, 03:03 PM

3,477 posts, read 6,512,981 times
It used to tick me off to no end until I finally started slowing down to about 65-67. Now I'm the guy who gets passed by most and I don't speed up afterward. I started doing this because my most traveled highway is literally crawling with highway patrol. Let 'em pass me - I often get the last laugh when I see them pulled over a few miles up.

Old 02-15-2015, 12:40 PM

4,045 posts, read 4,431,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cats234 View Post
not really. because even if someone floors it to accelerate as fast as their little camry will go they will still get blown away with a trailing finger in the process
And then they either chase you down or you meet your karma

Old 02-15-2015, 12:41 PM

4,045 posts, read 4,431,622 times
Here in PA I usually have some unpredictable tool that wasn't even tailgating first,they just get bored and decide to floor it around me...on the shoulder! And I wasn't even driving slow!

Old 02-15-2015, 01:11 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPizza View Post
You are going 80MPH in a 55MPH zone. Then, you pass someone going the sleed limit. Once you get ahead, they speed up to 90MPH to pass you. A 1/2 mile later, they go back to the speed limit. I hate when that happens to me, but oh well, waste your gas speeding up and slowing down going 55-90MPH while I set the cruise control to 80MPH.

I don't really care why people do what you described. It's probably a "I'll show him" gesture. About as stupid as you doing 80 in a 55

Old 02-16-2015, 05:39 AM

2,865 posts, read 3,632,176 times
Yes. Not only that, it's dangerous. I only pass when someone is going noticeably under the speed limit or they keep speeding up, then slowing way down, then speeding up again and slowing way down for no apparent reason. Yes, you get the people, especially on the interstate, that are going below the speed limit in ideal weather/traffic conditions and you start to pass. And they speed up. And you have to speed up considerably more or abort your pass, which I've done. They don't want anyone ahead of them. And if you do pass they tailgate, some of them, until they can speed up and pass you. Have had semis do that at times too. And then plop themselves right smack in front of me again so I have to slow down again when they do. Semi drivers, give me a break! Have had people I've passed actually follow close behind me until a passing lane and then pass me. What's up with that? When I am on the interstate especially I am in the right lane (unless passing someone myself) and am on cruise control. If you want to pass, please, be my guest. Plus, you get the people that look right at you (or don't look at all) and pull right out in front of you when they don't have time, only to drive 10 mph under the speed limit. But that's a different post........

Old 02-16-2015, 05:43 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,841,048 times
Quote:
You are going 80MPH in a 55MPH zone. Then, you pass someone going the sleed limit. Once you get ahead, they speed up to 90MPH to pass you. A 1/2 mile later, they go back to the speed limit. I hate when that happens to me, but oh well, waste your gas speeding up and slowing down going 55-90MPH while I set the cruise control to 80MPH.
I could see it happening if the vehicle ahead of me was over-sized or with extremely dark tinted glass and obstructing my view of what is occurring ahead. Safety is observing not only what is ahead of you but as much as 100 yards ahead depending on speed.

Old 02-16-2015, 06:15 AM

2,573 posts, read 3,503,952 times
Quote:

I am trying to find out what is so bad or irritating in the above situation that bothers you to the extent that you have to start a thread with "hate" in it? It is none of my business how fast or slow someone else is driving. As you say you are still going with your cruise.

Old 11-18-2015, 11:24 PM

797 posts, read 752,652 times
https://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/dail...192230071.html
I'm the guy that speeds up when you try to pass me | IGN Boards
The same people who live paycheck to paycheck im assuming.Happened to me the other night,some low iq broad slows down instead of just maintaining the speed limit slows down to 10 under, then when I try to pass she speeds up and blocks me. After that I swerved hard and rode her with my brights right in her eyes until I turned. This happens all too often, and as that study shows, it is simply because they are idiots and live paycheck to paycheck.Sure I have anger issues,but I sure finish the bull****.

Old 11-18-2015, 11:48 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,107,107 times
Driving is just it's own, special kind of hell it seems.
Whether it's speeding maniacs, or just inattention leading to a daisy chain of unfortunate errors, I don't see how there hasn't been an all-out, riot on some jampacked freeway.

As I mentioned in some other threads, I see about maybe 2-3 years before I decide whether or not to renew my licenses.
Some people have that need for speed, the rest of us are short of breath after having to maneuver our vehicles like they were fighter jets performing evasive action.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive