Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 11:20 AM

2,052 posts, read 5,873,209 times

Advertisements

As I've said before, look at the Pontiac Vibe and the Toyota Matrix twin. Both are based on the Toyota Corolla (Toyota made the Vibe for Pontiac) and can last practically forever with good maintenance. My two older kids are driving them, a 2006 and 2010 model. Very versatile for hauling stuff and great for college. The Pontiac is generally a couple thousand less than a comparable Matrix, but it is the same car. There are plenty of good 2003-2006 models in your price range around me.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2014, 04:09 PM

376 posts, read 653,805 times
Hyundai Elantra! I'm surprised no one has said this yet. Sure they're not sporty but neither is a Civic or Corolla non-modded that is. You can get a 2002-2005 for under 5K easily. Look for one with 100K miles or less.

Also, for ANY CAR, if you have a 5000 budget, please don't spend 5K for the car assuming it will not need repairs. Even if the records are there and it looks fine there is a almost probability of you needing to fix some things. Budget yourself an extra 500-1000 for repairs it will make you happier in the long run.

Old 06-04-2014, 06:09 PM

33 posts, read 57,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IhateCA View Post
Hello, I'm a teen that will be driving soon, and I am looking for some first-car advice. My budget is $5k, and I am on the hunt(not ready to buy yet, due to my mom's '08 Hyundai being paid off like, a month ago) for a reliable, safe, sporty, economical, inexpensive to insure vehicle that will last me through my teens and young adult years. Any suggestions?
I don't think you need to be worrying about buying a car right now. You may not even be able to buy one yet without getting it co-signed. I doubt your mom is going to want to buy another car, even if she can pay it in full. You need to be more concerned with getting through high school and getting a job before buying your own car. Be thankful that your mom lets you drive her car. Just because your friends have cars does not mean you are ready to have your own just yet. Owning a car is a huge responsibility and if you haven't started driving yet then you are certainly not ready to own one.

Old 06-05-2014, 08:37 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,909,336 times
Like some of the other posters, Honda or Toyota. Some models are better than others. I know a few people with Honda Accords with close to 300,000 miles with same engine and Transmission. I
have a 2003 ( bought it new) Toyota Matrix with 153,000 miles and it runs like new. Of our four cars it's my favorite. Not sure why, the seats are not comfortable ( had to get a seat pad) and it's underpowered. But I enjoy driving it.

Old 06-05-2014, 04:17 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,391,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ippi76 View Post
Hyundai Elantra! I'm surprised no one has said this yet. Sure they're not sporty but neither is a Civic or Corolla non-modded that is. You can get a 2002-2005 for under 5K easily. Look for one with 100K miles or less.

Also, for ANY CAR, if you have a 5000 budget, please don't spend 5K for the car assuming it will not need repairs. Even if the records are there and it looks fine there is a almost probability of you needing to fix some things. Budget yourself an extra 500-1000 for repairs it will make you happier in the long run.

While the new generation of Hyundai Elantras may be up to par with the rest of the market, old ones like that are crap. They were cheap and flimsy as hell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive