Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2014, 12:45 PM

4,848 posts, read 11,744,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarvyas View Post
But I feel little bit hard while driving ...and they told me it is very dark now its time to change, is there any company/brand for same ?

Thanks,
Sagar
You feel hard while driving? I can go all sorts of places with this one. And of course it's dark - you're Indian right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
Nowhere in suggested maintenance does Honda require power steering fluid replacement, only top off as needed.

https://owners.honda.com/service-mai...#/mid^CM5663JW
Right, that's what I was saying before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2014, 05:15 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,452,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
No need to change your power steering fluid unless you are having problems.
Absolutely FALSE. Power steering fluid is a hydraulic fluid and will wear out, just like any other fluid does.
Running too long on worn out power steering fluid WILL harm the pump.

Old 06-22-2014, 09:25 PM

10 posts, read 95,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
You feel hard while driving? I can go all sorts of places with this one. And of course it's dark - you're Indian right?
Yes I am Indian, hope there would not be any problem to get p.s fluid change if so...

Old 06-22-2014, 09:33 PM

Buy 2 small bottles of whatever power steering fluid is mentioned in your owner's manual.
Buy a $2 plastic turkey baster from Walmart or the Dollar Store.
Use the turkey baster to suck as much fluid out of the reservoir as you can.
Refill the reservoir.

Drive the vehicle for a few miles.

Repeat the above instructions.

You should almost immediately notice less noise coming from the power steering pump and rack unit.

Old 06-23-2014, 08:14 AM

15,677 posts, read 20,164,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
Buy 2 small bottles of whatever power steering fluid is mentioned in your owner's manual.
Buy a $2 plastic turkey baster from Walmart or the Dollar Store.
Use the turkey baster to suck as much fluid out of the reservoir as you can.
Refill the reservoir.

Drive the vehicle for a few miles.

Repeat the above instructions.

You should almost immediately notice less noise coming from the power steering pump and rack unit.
That's how I replace mine. I suck it out, put new fluid in, drive, and then repeat a few more times.

No real service interval in the manual...but there isn't one for brake fluid either yet in my opinion that one should be done every 1-2 years as well

Old 06-23-2014, 08:27 AM

773 posts, read 2,617,274 times
The smart thing to do is a complete flush at 60,000-80,000 miles and a one-bottle flush every 20,000-30,000 miles after that. Forget that the Honda shop manual does not mention it. A leaking rack will cost at least $800 for a rem replacement.

Forget the turkey baster. The fill hole in Honda PSF reservoirs is only 2 cm Ø and most basters won't fit. And if they did fit, their capacity would be too small, and you will spend more time than its worth sucking the PSF out of the reservoir. (You'll be needing to drain about 400 cc of fluid from the reservoir.) I suggest a battery filler something like this ($4.99 at Advance Auto)

Use only Honda PSF. You will need five bottles (12 fl oz each) for a complete flush, and one additional bottle for top-off, for a total of six Honda 12 fl oz PCF bottles.

Here is the procedure:
(1) Do not disconnect any hoses from the PSF reservoir.
(2) Remove the PSF from the reservoir using the battery filler.
(3) Add one bottle (12 fl oz = 355 cc) of Honda PSF to the reservoir.
(4) With power off, move the steering wheel slowly to full left, followed by slowly to full right. What you are doing is pushing the old fluid out one end of the steering rack into the reservoir and drawing in new fluid into the steering rack at the opposite end. When you turn the steering wheel in the opposite direction, you are reversing the inflow/outflow of the new/old fluid at the two ends of the steering rack. (It helps to have the front wheels raised off the floor when you do this.)
(5) Repeat the above full left/full right turning about ten times.
(6) Then turn the engine on and repeat the turning about a half dozen more times to flush out the fluid in the circular pump (the pump's capacity is relatively small compared to the combined capacity of the steering rack and reservoir.)

The total fluid capacity of Honda's power steer system is 1.1 L. After you have completed Steps (2)-(6) above, you will have replaced roughly 400 cc of old fluid with exactly 355 cc of new fluid so that the system now consists of 355/1100 or 32% of new fluid. With each iteration of steps 2 through 6 above, the percentage of new fluid in the PSF rises as follows:

Let N be the number or repetitions of steps 2-6. Then
N -- percent new fluid in PSF
1 -- 32 %
2 -- 54 %
3 -- 69 %
4 -- 79 %
5 -- 86 %
6 -- 90 %

I flush my cars through five cycles, but I can buy Honda PSF relatively cheaply at about $3.00 a bottle. Retail it is probably $5-$6 per bottle; some folks mat want to stop at 3-4 flushes.

One final remark: Between (roughly) the third and fourth iterations the car should be taken on the road at 2000 rpm to get some fluid through the spring loaded pressure relief valves in the pump.

Honda dealerships use the hose and bucket method described elsewhere in these posts, but that method almost always gets some air into the system, which is a pain. For home DIYers, I recommend the method described above. It takes longer, but there is no spillage and no air gets into the system. PSF is flammable.

Old 06-23-2014, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
That's how I replace mine. I suck it out, put new fluid in, drive, and then repeat a few more times.

No real service interval in the manual...but there isn't one for brake fluid either yet in my opinion that one should be done every 1-2 years as well
Brake fluid should be replaced every 3 years, no matter what the mileage is. Brake fluid is hygroscopic - it holds moisture. Even though your brake system is "sealed", small amounts of water does get into the system and what happens if you don't change the fluid is your lines start to rust out from the inside out. Then, those lines that look so nice on the outside, blow out a nice hole just as you stomp on the brakes... As a former service advisor in a tropical area, I can assure you that it happens more frequently than you would imagine. Arizona desert - probably not so much...

Old 06-23-2014, 10:15 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,521,434 times
I have driven several cars to over 200,000 miles and have never had to change Power Steering oil. The system is a simple mechanical pump with a servo steering booster. Hydraulic oil does not wear out. it can get dirty or contaminated by wearing parts (dark PS oil is a sign of something wrong in the system) but it does not wear out. IMHO flushing a Power Steering system is wasting your money.

Old 06-23-2014, 11:37 AM

42,618 posts, read 86,565,652 times
If you handle any steering fluid yourself, be very very careful that you do not get even the slightest trace of it in your eyes, and clean your hands very very carefully as soon as you are finished. Killer stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive