Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are SUVs Modern Day Station Wagons?
Yes 24 68.57%
No 11 31.43%
No Sure 0 0%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 08:30 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times

Advertisements

Theyre not wagons, plain and simple. Theyre styled differently, have more off-road capability, etc. As Magnulus stated, there are still many wagons available, and if you think SUVs and wagons are the same, I invite you to do a side-by-side comparo between a Ford Explorer or a Ford Focus wagon. Other than the roominess aspect, I see no similarities between the two. Give me a wagon (preferably a WRX wagon) anyday over a lumbering SUV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2007, 08:54 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,351,543 times
"If they are, it's only because there aren't that many real station wagons on the market anymore"

yeah pretty much they are used in this way. Although they are not designed or styled like that. I like my regular old front wheel drive wagon. It does well in the snow. Why do I need a AWD? Although many of the so called "crossovers" and SUVs are available with front wheel drive only. Not AWD if you don't want to pay for it.

I just don't like that "sitting way up high" facet they all have. Annoys me.

Old 12-17-2007, 05:31 PM

72,416 posts, read 18,202,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Surge View Post
Ive heard people say that suv's are just a status symbol. Why the need for one if theres only one or two people utilizing it, and then even at that, its only used for going to work or school, rather than take it up in the hills and play with it!? But Im only replying what Ive heard said many a time, I dont have one nor need one. I like my truck, lol.
It probably is,a lot of realtors in my office drive SUV's,Lexus or Mercedez,but now it's too much for gas.So less people are driving them

Old 12-18-2007, 12:22 AM

301 posts, read 1,546,979 times
As long as they don't bring back the fake wood grain.A good looking car was the Ford fullsize LTD's white with red interior and woodgrain sides.

Old 12-18-2007, 09:10 AM

54,494 posts, read 33,866,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Surge View Post
Ive heard people say that suv's are just a status symbol. Why the need for one if theres only one or two people utilizing it, and then even at that, its only used for going to work or school, rather than take it up in the hills and play with it!? But Im only replying what Ive heard said many a time, I dont have one nor need one. I like my truck, lol.
I'm not sure if that's an accurate statement Power Surge, but I guess that all depends on what kind of SUV the person drives. I make a very good living, but I'm not going to waste the money on an expensive SUV like a Cadilac Escalade or Lincoln Navigator. I'm just as happy with my Nissan Xterra.

I agree with those who said that station wagons and SUVs are completely two different classes of vehicles. SUVs combine the ruggedness of a truck and the utility of a station wagon in one. The station wagons were variants of existing models because they shared the same chasis and components as their sedan counterparts. I never imagined myself ever owning a station wagon because I never cared for them, and if I had to choose between a Chevy Impala 4-door sedan or its station wagon equivelant, I would definitely choose the 4-door sedan.

Old 12-18-2007, 11:48 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
I agree with those who said that station wagons and SUVs are completely two different classes of vehicles. SUVs combine the ruggedness of a truck and the utility of a station wagon in one. The station wagons were variants of existing models because they shared the same chasis and components as their sedan counterparts. I never imagined myself ever owning a station wagon because I never cared for them, and if I had to choose between a Chevy Impala 4-door sedan or its station wagon equivelant, I would definitely choose the 4-door sedan.
This statement is only partially true and is becoming less so over time. Most SUV models these days do not have the ruggedness of a truck nor do they really pretend to. Frewer and fewer SUV models are derivative of trucks these days or built on traditional truck-like frame-rail platforms. Instead, more and more SUVs are actually built on car-based platforms (even if not the exact chassis) complete with unibody construction and they do share many components with the car platform they are based on, such as engine and transmission, independent suspension, same suspension parts, same suspension mounting points, same interior parts, etc. For instance, the Nissan 350ZX/Infiniti G-series could probably be about 200 lbs lighter if it were built on its own platform instead of being built on the same platform as the Infiniti FX.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive