Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 10:59 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,950,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
To answer the OP, yes, I've cried when being stopped and not been given a ticket, just a warning - about 40 years or so ago when I was a teenager and a new driver and was shaken at having done something wrong. Not since, though - I just am very polite and friendly when stopped, because I know that it's something I did, not the officer, that caused me to be stopped and respond accordingly. That works better than just about anything.
That's my approach. I got stopped last year for doing 79 mph in a 55 mph zone. I was guilty as hell. I pulled over easily so the officer didn't have to chase me, rather than play dumb and just stay in the pack of cars pretending to be oblivious. I was very polite and friendly, and when he told me my speed, I silently acknowledged it.

He came back a few minutes later with a ticket -- for 65 mph rather than 79 mph. I didn't ask for or expect a break but apparently he liked my manner. Very nice guy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2014, 11:07 AM
C8N

1,119 posts, read 3,227,485 times
I found a new excuse that I would love to try next time I get pulled over.

Officer: Do you know how fast you were going?
Me: Yes officer and I am sorry for that, but that black Accord back there was texting and I wanted to get as far away from him as possible!

Do you think this would work?

Old 06-10-2014, 11:18 AM

15,431 posts, read 25,814,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiddly-Biddly View Post
Trust me ..... I drive past schools in the afternoon when they are letting out and I always slow down because kids are crossing the street without looking.

However, some dumb cop who claims I deserve a ticket at 9:30pm simply because I was close to a grammar school is totally out of line. Any decent human being would simply give me a warning and agree that driving close to a dark school at night is NOT imposing any danger because there aint any kids there at that time of day.

That's why I have ZERO respect for cops --- they got ZERO common sense and a bad attitude to go with it. Very stupid combination.
That's all it took to get you to hate cops?

Hey, OP! Here's someone ^ who's still crying long after he was stopped.

Old 06-10-2014, 11:21 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayway View Post
Let's start a pool on how long it will take for Prof. Skiddly-Biddly to rocket to the top and be promoted to the hallowed rank of "Not a Member".
The winner had 12:19 pm central time. Which is 105 minutes after you opened the pool.

Old 06-10-2014, 11:35 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,412,920 times
My cousin and his wife were coming home after being on vacation with their two kids and it was a long drive. the baby started crying and they couldn't soothe her. So the other kid starts wailing and the wife get in the back seat with them and tries to soothe them both. She winds up bawling too.

A cop pulled over my cousin for speeding, and when he rolled down the window and the cop saw all the crying going on, he said, "Go man go!"

Old 06-10-2014, 11:59 AM

I had a Hungarian friend back in the days when Europe had borders, who had a rule of thumb. When driving through immigration, wake up all the children and make them as miserable as possible. Border guards can't wait to get rid of you.

Old 06-10-2014, 12:12 PM

4,135 posts, read 2,838,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
I drove to the post office yesterday and en route, there was a Bexar County Constable who had pulled over a woman. She was visibly shaken and was crying with a tissue dancing all over her face. Got me curious: have you ever cried or been emotionally flustered by a traffic stop? Has anyone else driving in your presence done so? Would you say it was faked or genuine? How do the officers typically react to that, in your opinion?
Before I transferred to another division, I spent 4 years in the Highway Patrol Division, criers where a rarity. On most stops the violators were either angry, or said absolutely nothing and just handed you their info, or (my favorites) the jovial drivers, who wanted to chat and have a conversation and hang out on the side of the road. Criers on the other hand, maybe two or three times a month, tops. A small number when you factor in our average of about 240 stops a month.

Old 06-10-2014, 12:16 PM

1,588 posts, read 2,316,272 times
Had a buddy who was a speed demon, always getting pulled over.

He would fake a stutter, a really bad stutter, the kind where it would take 5 minuted to ask:

"What's the problem officer", "Wwwwwwwwwww wwwwh wwwwww wwwwwwhhhhaaaa wwwwww wwwwwh wwwwwwhhhhaaattttts the the the whats the...................

I was in the car with him once when it happened, it was amazing. The state trooper is standing there with traffic whizzing past listening to this verbal trainwreck...those guys could't get rid of him fast enough. He got warnings.

Despicable but effective.

Old 06-10-2014, 12:27 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,099,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
The winner had 12:19 pm central time. Which is 105 minutes after you opened the pool.
They didn't just ban him, they also deleted ALL the posts he made. Good job, mods.

Old 06-10-2014, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
They didn't just ban him, they also deleted ALL the posts he made. Good job, mods.
Most are preserved for posterity in the replies, which will make valuable archives. Like Venus without the arms, the beauty is still visible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive