Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 02:15 AM

4,287 posts, read 8,026,358 times

Advertisements

I drove to the post office yesterday and en route, there was a Bexar County Constable who had pulled over a woman. She was visibly shaken and was crying with a tissue dancing all over her face. Got me curious: have you ever cried or been emotionally flustered by a traffic stop? Has anyone else driving in your presence done so? Would you say it was faked or genuine? How do the officers typically react to that, in your opinion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2014, 04:35 AM

414 posts, read 930,545 times
Well, I sure as hell have never done anything as silly as this (Maybe if I was having a serious nervous breakdown...and even then, it would be odd behavior for a guy, IMHO).

However, I have a family member who is a State Trooper and have heard plenty of stories over the years.

He has pulled over several women over the years who either tried to play the sympathy card by being overly dramatic and boo-hooing their hearts out ---OR--- they tried to flirt their way out of a ticket.

Some were going through a divorce, had BF problems, work or family related issues...others were clearly faking it...He was pretty good at seeing through the BS. Quiet as it's kept, he's also gotten a few dates in exchange for NOT issuing a ticket (I won't elaborate further on that..lol).

I think most people know that cops generally have quotas/expectations in terms of tickets written per month, or even per week. So I think how a cop reacts depends somewhat on this (i.e. If he's catching heat from his Sergeant to write more tickets, there will likely be no mercy, regardless of how good the lady looks).

But also, if the cop believes the crying lady and has some empathy for her and her situation, I've heard that he will generally give her a "free pass".

If she was driving recklessly or doing something else blatantly idiotic that clearly is endangering the lives of others, all bets are off..of course!

Hope that answers your question somewhat

Old 06-10-2014, 05:07 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,943,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
I drove to the post office yesterday and en route, there was a Bexar County Constable who had pulled over a woman. She was visibly shaken and was crying with a tissue dancing all over her face. Got me curious: have you ever cried or been emotionally flustered by a traffic stop? Has anyone else driving in your presence done so? Would you say it was faked or genuine? How do the officers typically react to that, in your opinion?
I'm a man, so no. It,would never work for me. I'm more,stoic in any case. I'd rather get a ticket than humiliate myself. A normal traffic ticket is not an earth-shaking event. My attitude is more along the lines of "not my first and won't be my last."

Old 06-10-2014, 07:16 AM
C8N

1,119 posts, read 3,225,391 times
If I had racked up pts on my license, I would probably cry too.
But since I have no pts on my license, its more like... Hey officer, can you hurry up with that and give me my damn ticket already?

Old 06-10-2014, 07:25 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,088,213 times
My wife got pulled over just two weeks ago. She had our 6 month old daughter in the back of the car, and she was rushing home because it had been about 3 hours since she had last fed her, and 3 hours is about the max she can go before she starts fussing and crying.

So this cop pulls her over for doing 65 in a 55. Goes through the whole BS for license, registration, and my wife tells him why she was hurrying. So he goes back to his squad car and takes forever, and of course, my daughter starts crying her eyes out. Cop comes back and tried to talk to my wife, my wife had rolled down all the windows and you could just hear my daughter screaming out of the car I'm sure.

My wife said the cop looked so guilty when he heard that that he let her go even though she was pretty sure he had actually written a ticket up. So, crying DOES work in the right situation.

Old 06-10-2014, 07:48 AM

414 posts, read 930,545 times
Ironically, I got pulled over in PA in early May for doing 62 mph in a 40 mph zone on my way to work. Amazing how much faster you can get up to speed with a 6 spd manual trans with short throws!

I DID try to BS my way out of it, since I live in NJ, and said "Officer, I just started working in this area and I'm not familiar with the area" ....even mentioned that I have a family member who is a State Trooper (which usually works, if I can prove it). I didn't get emotional though...kept my cool

Turns out the stretch of road I was on isn't well patrolled and they had some guy in a Corvette recently demolish several trees and flatten his car like a pancake as a result (I saw the aftermath of this right after it happened...it wasn't pretty)...so they beefed up patrols and set up speed traps.

However, the officer was cool and said to just plead not guilty when I mail the ticket in and he would lower the fine and change the violation to one without points on my license. This was provided that I had a clean driving record, he said.

So, I went to court last week and paid $139.00 instead of $186.00, violation was downgraded from a speeding ticket with probably 3 points on license to "failure to show license" (which isn't a moving violation, has no points, and doesn't affect insurance either!).

What's more interesting is that there were 2 other people who were caught by the same officer as me and we all got the same deal!

Damn, I got lucky! Had I just pled guilty and paid the fine, I would have gone from 0 points to 3 or more!

Guess it pays not to bad mouth the police ...better to try to negotiate with them

Old 06-10-2014, 07:56 AM

58 posts, read 96,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiddly-Biddly View Post
Your anecdote perfectly explains why so many people have bad perceptions about cops AND women!

Women tend to over-react about everything (as any man knows), so crying about a stupid $140 ticket is no surprise. Maybe this particular lady had a bad day, so the ticket threw her over the edge. SO WHAT. Pull up your socks and act like an adult and realize we ALL have bad days, so deal with it in a mature fashion instead of being a crybaby!

As far as a cop letting a girl off because of her looks, or even getting dates, well that's no surprise either. Please remember that cops are dumb guys who weren't smart enough to become doctors or lawyers and get classy women, so their choice of females is mostly limited to hotel maids and welfare queens. So if they sniff any possibility of a hot date with an attractive female and can use their position of authority to bully a woman into a night out, they will jump at the chance like a rabid dog. This is how a cop brain operates. They are desperate losers with a craving for attention and think a gun and a badge makes them tough guys that all the ladies are lusting after. It's rather pathetic how they think.

^^^This is not true. At least not to every police officer. I find it entirely offensive due to the fact that every police officer I've personally known has gone to college for at least four years or is an military veteran with combat/college experience. They are choosing a profession where the pay is far lower than other jobs they could have gotten, to serve their country. Not to mention in most places its very dangerous. And yes, there are still still people in this world who put their country before themselves.

However, back to the original question. Yes, I've seen ALOT of people cry to get out of tickets, both women AND men!

Old 06-10-2014, 08:12 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
The real terrorists in America are the traffic police, who for a century have been using the development of the automobile to hold Americans hostage, and subject them to angst and fear way out of proportion to what would otherwise be the normal flow of life. It is not surprising that a large number of people are not emotionally equipped to being pushed needlessly over the edge in this manner.

Automobiles are much, much safer than horse-based transportation ever was. The nation has grasped the automobile as a wedge, to abrogate constitutional rights and freedoms, and motor vehicles made the cornerstone of a fear-based police state. Every American driving a car is presumed guilty until proved innocent, and by getting into the drivers seat, one forfeits most constitutional rights.

Well-trained professional police officers, armed to the hilt and in possession of space-age privacy-violating technology, spent a disproportionate amount of time enforcing vehicle tax collections and imposing crushing fines on people representing no actual or potential harm to social order or public safety, with gotcha laws and entrapment and enforcement as random as the lottery, all related to automobiles.

No wonder people cry.

Old 06-10-2014, 08:19 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
The real terrorists in America are the traffic police, who for a century have been using the development of the automobile to hold Americans hostage, and subject them to angst and fear way out of proportion to what would otherwise be the normal flow of life. It is not surprising that a large number of people are not emotionally equipped to being pushed needlessly over the edge in this manner.

Automobiles are much, much safer than horse-based transportation ever was. The nation has grasped the automobile as a wedge, to abrogate constitutional rights and freedoms, and motor vehicles made the cornerstone of a fear-based police state. Every American driving a car is presumed guilty until proved innocent, and by getting into the drivers seat, one forfeits most constitutional rights.

Well-trained professional police officers, armed to the hilt and in possession of space-age privacy-violating technology, spent a disproportionate amount of time enforcing vehicle tax collections and imposing crushing fines on people representing no actual or potential harm to social order or public safety, with gotcha laws and entrapment and enforcement as random as the lottery, all related to automobiles.

No wonder sensible and sentient people cry.
Okay, you look at the statistics on how many people are maimed and killed in auto accidents each year versus how many are killed by "official" terrorists in this country and THEN you talk about who the "real terrorists" in America are.

Hint: it's the ones who think it's their God-given right to drive like a bat out of hell on public roadways and don't even care enough to think about the potential consequences of their actions to others and then get all snitty because they have to suffer consequences for those actions, blaming everyone but themselves for the predictable consequences of their own choices.

Old 06-10-2014, 08:21 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
To answer the OP, yes, I've cried when being stopped and not been given a ticket, just a warning - about 40 years or so ago when I was a teenager and a new driver and was shaken at having done something wrong. Not since, though - I just am very polite and friendly when stopped, because I know that it's something I did, not the officer, that caused me to be stopped and respond accordingly. That works better than just about anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive