Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Americans, If you live in a area that doesn't require emissions texting, do you care if you car meet
no 49 62.82%
yes 29 37.18%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 09:23 PM

709 posts, read 656,462 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayabone View Post
I must have hit too close to home... Sorry you were exposed...
Doubling down on the stupid? Way to show your ass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2014, 03:04 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,312,651 times
I drive a 1999 car, so in my state I'm required to have an emissions test annually. I can't renew my registration without the test results. There's a test facility about 10 minutes from where I live. The test only takes a couple of minutes and it costs $12.25. I've never had to wait in line more than 10 minutes and my state has a website where I can check average wait times before I go. My car has passed with flying colors every one of the eight times I've had the test. Were the car to fail, the state has a list of suggested repair places I could take the car if it needed repairs. I think this is a perfectly reasonable thing to expect drivers to do to help everyone have cleaner air.

Old 06-12-2014, 03:38 AM

26 posts, read 47,828 times
nay, I don't care that much unless it's a smoke bomb !

Old 06-12-2014, 06:08 AM

1,022 posts, read 1,972,095 times
CEL are sensitive. Anything can trigger it. It ll throw the light, due to weather changes. It ll go away on its own, sometimes it doesn't, then there's an actual issue that needs to be address.

If you own a Bmw or any german cars, there's gonna come a time, when your whole dash light up with warning lights. All it takes is money to buy the right reset tool to clear it.
Nothing to do with emission

I lived in SoCal in the 80's-90's, every kid I knew had a straight pipe. I m sorry. A "test pipe" for the officers. They still do it today.

Need to Pass inspection? One phone call away. Pay a little extra. I don't think anyone really care for smog, they care if there car can't pass inspection.
I support safety inspection- I ve seen too many side mirrors hanging, a rolling road debris.
Smog test- govt scam

How many times, have any of you ever seen an old Cadillac or Buick rolling down the road and the smokes out of the tail pipe looks like a chimney? But it's got a new inspection sticker.
I am sure you all have seen it at least once.

That's my experience and opinion.

Old 06-12-2014, 07:29 AM

17,604 posts, read 17,635,928 times
I'm more sensitive to the poor people in the country. It's easy for lower middle class and above to purchase vehicles and maintain them to conform to the ever increasing emissions regulations in some counties/states. Poor people don't have the funds to purchase vehicles that easily meet such standards nor the funds to bring them up to those standards. While at this dollar amount, they can afford a new or nearly new motorcycle, they can't go grocery shopping on a motorcycle they can afford. While classic cars may be exempt in some areas, that doesn't mean they should get away from proper tune-up which means more than changing plugs and wires on non-fuel injected engines. Properly tuning the air/fuel mix is a must to make the best possible exhaust emissions.

Old 06-12-2014, 08:01 AM

658 posts, read 847,477 times
I am more concerned about power plant pollution...
and second hand smoke...
and chemicals being dumped in my drinking water over muffler smoke and other car emissions.

Thankfully I no longer have to go through inspection. I sometimes think those times when I was told something was wrong, maybe the equipment they used was faulty and it picked up on normal emissions. Or maybe the previous inspections left a bit of residue on the testers. It was a pain to figure out what exactly was wrong. Sometimes the mechanics couldn't find anything concrete. This resulted in me driving with nearby expired tags, praying the cops wouldn't stop me.

Old 06-12-2014, 08:01 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,402,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
China and India don't care. Why should I
...maybe because we don't want our cities to look like this.

Or people to walk around like this.

Old 06-12-2014, 08:11 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,259,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
While classic cars may be exempt in some areas, that doesn't mean they should get away from proper tune-up which means more than changing plugs and wires on non-fuel injected engines. Properly tuning the air/fuel mix is a must to make the best possible exhaust emissions.
Most antique car owners are fastidious about maintenance, I'd wager that on a given day the typical classic operates at a higher percentage of its most efficient performance point that the typical daily driver regardless of age.

Beyond that, most of these vehicles are driven a few hundred miles a year so even if one is gross polluter the environmental impact would be minimal.

Old 06-12-2014, 08:19 AM

17,604 posts, read 17,635,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
Most antique car owners are fastidious about maintenance, I'd wager that on a given day the typical classic operates at a higher percentage of its most efficient performance point that the typical daily driver regardless of age.

Beyond that, most of these vehicles are driven a few hundred miles a year so even if one is gross polluter the environmental impact would be minimal.
By classic, I mean vehicles 25 years old or older. There are cars from the 70s and 80s still on the road in bad physical shape owned and driven by poor people.

Old 06-12-2014, 08:54 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,259,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
By classic, I mean vehicles 25 years old or older. There are cars from the 70s and 80s still on the road in bad physical shape owned and driven by poor people.
I see what you're saying now, although I don't think I'd use the word "classic" to describe those cars. They're just old. Or antique, which is the generally accepted word used in the automotive world to describe a vehicle over 25 years old.

But if they're poor enough that they can't afford a decent car or even to properly maintain their older cars, they probably can't afford much gas either and therefore likely aren't driving any more than they have to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive