Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 11:56 PM

677 posts, read 4,211,472 times

Advertisements

My Chrysler Town & Country has 130k miles and is literally falling apart, so it's time for something new. I've narrowed the choices down to:
Chevy Suburban LT
Dodge Durango Ltd
GMC Acadia SLT
Nissan Armada LE
Toyota Sienna XLE Ltd
I'll be getting a 2008 model unless the dealers have any 2007s left and are offering good deals on them. What are your opinions on these? I need help deciding - my husband wants me to choose only 3 to test drive. I'm really fond of Chevys - I almost got a divorce the day my husband totalled my TrailBlazer - but the Suburban is huge and we don't actually need something that large. We do need three rows of seating though and the Suburban is the only one with heated 2nd row seats, which my kids would appreciate. I also like that the Suburban and the Durango can run on E85. Otherwise the features are pretty much the same on all of them so I need to hear some personal opinions/experiences...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2007, 07:28 AM

732 posts, read 4,158,313 times
Armada........

Old 12-15-2007, 10:05 AM

1,921 posts, read 6,429,441 times
How many people are you going to transport on a regular basis? Do you tow anything or drive in much inclimate weather? What features are most important to you? Right now, it is nearly impossible to say which vehicle is the best for your needs because we don't know what your needs are.

Based on some assumptions, I would suggest driving the Acadia, Suburban and Sienna. The Durango is the oldest platform of the vehicles that you mentioned, and is going to get killed off by Chrysler soon. The Armada could be a contender, but I think that the Suburban will blow it out of the water in terms of ride quality (since you're coming from a minivan). The Acadia is the only crossover on your list, and worth consideration. It might be a bit small if you truly need three rows of seating and storage space. The Sienna will be exactly what you expect it to be. The Suburban would be my personal choice, but again I don't know what's important to you. The Suburban seems to be the most versatile of the group, offering a ton of space, great ride, towing ability and offroad/bad weather capability.

Old 12-15-2007, 10:13 AM

355 posts, read 2,703,951 times
I have a 2008 Armada LE and I love it. In your situation, since your coming from a minivan, I would recommend the Sienna. You can't beat Toyota's reliability ratings. A Toyota would never fall apart like that Chrysler of yours did.

Old 12-15-2007, 11:02 AM

11,578 posts, read 13,952,362 times
Love my Sequoia

Old 12-15-2007, 11:07 AM

677 posts, read 4,211,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8 SNAKE View Post
How many people are you going to transport on a regular basis? Do you tow anything or drive in much inclimate weather? What features are most important to you? Right now, it is nearly impossible to say which vehicle is the best for your needs because we don't know what your needs are.
Sorry. I have three kids, two in carseats, so 4-5 people regularly. We don't tow anything now but we might in the future. I drive in inclimate weather a lot - I live near Chicago. The Sienna is one of the few minivans with AWD which is why it's on my list, plus Toyota's famous reliability. We're really looking for a good family vehicle. Our other car is an Accord Hybrid which we use for daily commuting but we can't take all three kids anywhere in it or a reasonable amount of luggage and gear.

Old 12-15-2007, 12:02 PM

24,476 posts, read 26,012,991 times
Might want to look at the relatives of the Acadia, the Outlook and Enclave.

Old 12-15-2007, 12:16 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,886,811 times
Since you do have small children you also need to consider not just the need for 3rd row seating but the cargo area. If you use a stroller or a double stroller it would be next to impossible to fit that along w/ a full load of groceries into the cargo area of most minivans and smaller suv's w/ 3rd row seating. When you go car shopping take the strollers you use and any other items you use on a regular basis and see how it all fits. Same for the car seats, see which one makes it easier to put them in and which vehicle makes it easier to REACH the 3rd row seating. Since you have small children there are going to be times you yourself have to crawl back there to get them out (fell asleep on the ride home, etc). If the middle row of seating has a car seat in it you can't easily release the back forward to get back there. If the middle row seating is a bench it also makes it difficult to get back there. Our first Suburban had a bench seat in the middle and it was great for seating capacity but a PITA for us trying to get back there and for the kids to get back there. It got to the point that I finally just let the kids "crawl over" which I can not stand. Now we have the two seats in the middle row w/ a center aisle to reach the rear. It is easy for me to get in the car and go back to the 3rd row to get out a sleeping child. So I really suggest test driving a car and putting it thru the ringer so to speak to see how it fits YOUR daily living.

Old 12-15-2007, 02:36 PM

1,921 posts, read 6,429,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahava View Post
Sorry. I have three kids, two in carseats, so 4-5 people regularly. We don't tow anything now but we might in the future. I drive in inclimate weather a lot - I live near Chicago. The Sienna is one of the few minivans with AWD which is why it's on my list, plus Toyota's famous reliability. We're really looking for a good family vehicle. Our other car is an Accord Hybrid which we use for daily commuting but we can't take all three kids anywhere in it or a reasonable amount of luggage and gear.
Based on your info, I'd still recommend the three that I mentioned previously. And I'd still favor the Suburban. momof2dfw brought up some great points as well. Best of luck in your search.

Old 12-15-2007, 03:20 PM

212 posts, read 948,637 times
Nice to know that your other car is a hybrid. With 3 kids, you are obviously concerned about the future of the planet. You will be making a statement to them if you buy a Suburban or Tahoe. You should base your choice on gas mileage, telling your kids that you want to reduce your carbon footprint for their future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive