Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What brand(s) of fuel do you use?
BP 15 17.44%
Chevron 23 26.74%
Shell 33 38.37%
Citgo 5 5.81%
Exxon Mobil 12 13.95%
Sunoco 5 5.81%
Hess 5 5.81%
Gulf 3 3.49%
RaceTrac 3 3.49%
Conoco 5 5.81%
Texaco 9 10.47%
QuickTrip 6 6.98%
Kroger, Walmart, Sam's Club, Costco, or other store-related 22 25.58%
Other Not Listed (Please list in comments) 25 29.07%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 10:49 PM

2,166 posts, read 3,382,580 times

Advertisements

BP is the most common of the top tier gasolines around here, so it is typically where I go. Every once in a while I'll stop at Shell, but they are fewer and further in between. No Chevron or Exxon, and Texaco is long gone from this region.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2014, 10:49 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Did you know that gasoline is gasoline, the only difference between the brands is the additives they put in it?

Old 06-11-2014, 10:51 PM

861 posts, read 1,335,242 times
If you have American Express, there's a coupon for $5 off BP and Mobil.

Old 06-11-2014, 10:56 PM

307 posts, read 684,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
he recognizes that all fuel comes down the same pipeline, and is distributed at the tank farm to the local dealers.
It also comes down to convenience. If one loading rack is down, we just go to another rack to get it. Regardless
Of brand. You could have Mobil gas at a citgo, or unbranded gas at a bp. Something to think about
when you look at the prices.

Old 06-11-2014, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Did you know that gasoline is gasoline, the only difference between the brands is the additives they put in it?
Why do people keep saying "it's the same thing except for additives" when it's proven that those superior additives are what keeps your engine free of carbon deposits? It's like the same people who say after a car fails a crash test "Well, it meets the government standards!" I mean wouldn't you want a car that exceeds it?

As you saw in the video, mechanic Pam Oakes says Top Tier gas does clean carbon out of your engine and is worth buying. She says she's seen the difference it can make with her own eyes.

Is Top Tier gas better for your car?- MSN Money

Old 06-11-2014, 11:21 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,840,052 times
Kroger for fuel points.

Old 06-11-2014, 11:33 PM

1,871 posts, read 2,096,767 times
I get the cheapest and use gas buddy. Sometimes I shop at the local Kroger regional chain and get fuel points and then save myself 10 to 20 cents per gallon which makes me feel rich, I realize I have to spend to get it but is nice.

Old 06-11-2014, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkobe View Post
Why do people keep saying "it's the same thing except for additives" when it's proven that those superior additives are what keeps your engine free of carbon deposits? It's like the same people who say after a car fails a crash test "Well, it meets the government standards!" I mean wouldn't you want a car that exceeds it?

As you saw in the video, mechanic Pam Oakes says Top Tier gas does clean carbon out of your engine and is worth buying. She says she's seen the difference it can make with her own eyes.

Is Top Tier gas better for your car?- MSN Money

Because it is the truth, do you think there are separate refineries for all of the brands of gasoline on the planet? There aren't, it is all the same gasoline, the additives are different.
I happen to know this is true because my Husband was a fuel hauler for 20 years and that gasoline that you get at Shell Oil was loaded into the same tanker truck from the same gasoline rack owned by the same refinery as Chevron, BP, Casey's, Marathon, Amoco and any other "brand" you can think of.

Without the additives the base product which is the gasoline, the fuel itself is the same.

Old 06-12-2014, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Because it is the truth, do you think there are separate refineries for all of the brands of gasoline on the planet? There aren't, it is all the same gasoline, the additives are different.
I happen to know this is true because my Husband was a fuel hauler for 20 years and that gasoline that you get at Shell Oil was loaded into the same tanker truck from the same gasoline rack owned by the same refinery as Chevron, BP, Casey's, Marathon, Amoco and any other "brand" you can think of.

Without the additives the base product which is the gasoline, the fuel itself is the same.

Not disagreeing with you that the gas itself is nothing special. But don't you agree that additives are what separates ordinary from top tier?

Think of it this way.... which tastes better: Coca Cola or some generic cola? Both use the same exact base (water) but it's the additives that differentiate them and makes Coca Cola superior to the other. Same with gas.

Old 06-12-2014, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkobe View Post
Not disagreeing with you that the gas itself is nothing special. But don't you agree that additives are what separates ordinary from top tier?

Think of it this way.... which tastes better: Coca Cola or some generic cola? Both use the same exact base (water) but it's the additives that differentiate them and makes Coca Cola superior to the other. Same with gas.

"Top Tier" is a marketing phrase created to induce purchase of a more expensive product.
You believe whatever it is you want to believe from what you have read and watched on video.
I know the actual truth and I explained it to you, that is the best I can do.

As far as your pop example I can't relate, I don't drink pop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive