Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2014, 04:23 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,240,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
Okay, seriously, the only thing I routinely change is the oil (frequently) and transmission fluid (infrequently). Everything else gets checked regularly and changed if needed. Usually a blown brake line, PS hose, or radiator hose along the way necessitates the changing of those fuids through attrition anyway.

I don't see any downside to changing fluids more frequently, other than the cost, but I tend to run most of my vehicles up to or over 200K miles without any issues relating to fluid changes so I'll stick with what I'm doing for the time being. If my experience chages, likely my philosophy will follow suit.

Our Vehicles rust out before 200k, so I don't worry about much more than oil changes. The salt they put on the roads in the winter is a killer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2014, 05:23 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,678,616 times
Oil changes every 5000 or 6000 miles. Transmission flushed after hard pulls. Cooling system serviced at the beginning of hot weather, flush and fluid, hoses if necessary. Brake fluid changed when it gets contaminated. Gear boxes flushed every 50,000 miles. Wheel bearings packed when the brakes get repaired.

Old 06-12-2014, 05:47 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Yes. I do.

Engine oil, trans fluid, differentials, power steering, brake fluid, clutch fluid, etc etc.... Well before recommended and with OEM or better replacements.

I've put 150K on my latest car doing "excessive" maintainence and it's still running like new
I buy all my cars with at least 150K already on them for around a thousand dollars, and they're running fine when I buy them, and I typically get around 50K more out of them. I've had a couple that I got 245K and 230K. I consider it very unlikely that ANY fluids in them have ever been changed, except the oil. They might not all run "like new", but none have ever failed to get me where I was going, including Panama (and back) in a Corolla with over 200K (needed struts along the way)..

Old 06-12-2014, 06:27 PM

21,863 posts, read 25,129,659 times
English translation?

Old 06-13-2014, 07:46 AM

15,794 posts, read 20,493,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I buy all my cars with at least 150K already on them for around a thousand dollars, and they're running fine when I buy them, and I typically get around 50K more out of them. I've had a couple that I got 245K and 230K. I consider it very unlikely that ANY fluids in them have ever been changed, except the oil. They might not all run "like new", but none have ever failed to get me where I was going, including Panama (and back) in a Corolla with over 200K (needed struts along the way)..
Well if you are spending $1K on a car, then you don't have much to lose then if end of usable life is at 180K, or 250K.

In my situation, i paid $42K for the car, and put that 150K miles on it myself. I feel better spending the $20-30 to put Mobil 1 differential fluid in at 150K miles than just letting it go and taking my chances. I like my car (infiniti G35x), it's paid off and reliable and tend to be proactive with maintainence, cleaning, and overall care.

Old 06-13-2014, 07:51 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,265,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I like my car (infiniti G35x), it's paid off and reliable and tend to be proactive with maintainence, cleaning, and overall care.
How exactly is one proactive with cleaning? Do you wash it before it gets dirty?

Old 06-13-2014, 10:17 AM

15,794 posts, read 20,493,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
How exactly is one proactive with cleaning? Do you wash it before it gets dirty?

Well i guess you can consider it that.

I realize this was more tongue-in-cheek, but in a way I do clean it while it's still clean. For example, it's easier to clean and condition the leather or shampoo the carpet when it's relatively clean vs waiting until someone drops Honey BBQ sauce on the carpet and puts the floor mat over it for a couple weeks.

Old 06-13-2014, 11:02 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,285,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teckeeee View Post
...Do you also swamp with better than req. I do?
Being as I AM NOT an engineer, I do not feel qualified to determine what is a "better" fluid for my vehicles...

I use what the factory (and their many engineers) recommend!

(Note: People who install "better" spark plugs, spark plug wires, air filters, etc. are all over the internet complaining about car troubles - due to their not following manufacturer recommendations.)

Old 06-13-2014, 02:31 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,477,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
Being as I AM NOT an engineer, I do not feel qualified to determine what is a "better" fluid for my vehicles...

I use what the factory (and their many engineers) recommend!

(Note: People who install "better" spark plugs, spark plug wires, air filters, etc. are all over the internet complaining about car troubles - due to their not following manufacturer recommendations.)
Yes and no, it's grey. I am running Iridium plugs on my old Corolla that came with copper and it runs better. I tend to put OEM spec or better fluids back in all cars. But yes there are some that don't know Toyota radiators don't like phosphate and find themselves in trouble with some aftermarkets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive