Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 06:41 PM

4,625 posts, read 12,292,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
^^ At least one looks good driving a Super Duty, the same can't be said for the Camaro. I'm sure in the coming years we'll find these things scattered on blocks in finer trailer courts.
I'll take a Camaro any day over the girlish Camry. I'm sure real men would agree. Here's one I had on blocks for a few years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2014, 06:52 PM

3,306 posts, read 12,220,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
Good lord. I've never had a car where it was possible to just turn the key to the off position while driving. Not one. Some of them even have a small button you have to press to turn the key, and this was back in the 80's. You'd think GM could figure out how to do something this simple.
On the contrary I have always known vehicles allow this regardless of make. In fact, I would consider it a safety hazard if I couldn't turn the vehicle off while in gear; such as in the case of a stuck/broke throttle or transmission linkage. I personally had an emergency situation where my wet boot slipped and wedged itself on top of the throttle and underneath the brake pedal... cutting power while in gear was very useful in that occasion.

Old 06-13-2014, 07:21 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,140,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
I'll take a Camaro any day over the girlish Camry. I'm sure real men would agree. Here's one I had on blocks for a few years.
Nice chick car! With that said real men don’t drive Camaros, which is why Chrysler had cars with manly engine choices.

Old 06-13-2014, 07:34 PM

4,625 posts, read 12,292,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
Nice chick car! With that said real men don’t drive Camaros, which is why Chrysler had cars with manly engine choices.
So now you want to man up and compare Chrysler to GM? No problem, my dad was California state C gas champion in 1960 with a Chrysler in a Henry J Kaiser. The Chrysler is the base for the fastest automobiles on the planet bar none! That said, GM has produced some very fast cars too like the ZL1 and many others. Detroit is the fastest on the planet! I'm glad you agree.

Old 06-13-2014, 08:15 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,095,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post
On the contrary I have always known vehicles allow this regardless of make. In fact, I would consider it a safety hazard if I couldn't turn the vehicle off while in gear; such as in the case of a stuck/broke throttle or transmission linkage. I personally had an emergency situation where my wet boot slipped and wedged itself on top of the throttle and underneath the brake pedal... cutting power while in gear was very useful in that occasion.
You misunderstand my post. You CAN turn off the car while in gear... but you either had to press a button to do it while simultaneously turning the key, or you had to push the key in while turning. Basically the automotive equivalent of a child safety cap.

Old 06-13-2014, 08:30 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,615,377 times
Cars in the 1960s could be shifted out of park without a key in the ignition switch.

Old 06-13-2014, 08:42 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,566,607 times
Isn't one problem with this issue the fact that tons of folks have far too many keys on their key rings in addition to the car key, and that most of those locks just aren't designed to carry that much weight?

Old 06-13-2014, 09:21 PM

3,306 posts, read 12,220,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
You misunderstand my post. You CAN turn off the car while in gear... but you either had to press a button to do it while simultaneously turning the key, or you had to push the key in while turning. Basically the automotive equivalent of a child safety cap.
Gotcha. However, I have never had to use a button or some other release to do so.

Old 06-13-2014, 09:39 PM

9,131 posts, read 20,006,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv101 View Post
Isn't one problem with this issue the fact that tons of folks have far too many keys on their key rings in addition to the car key, and that most of those locks just aren't designed to carry that much weight?
Maybe, but I am not sure I would write the problem off to this. If you have a lot of keys on your ring, you still should not have to be worried your car will shut off, crash, and kill you in an accident. I think people have had a lot of keys on rings for years anyway.

Plus, it has been shown GM consciously went with a less substantial part to save pennies knowing it may be more prone to failure, then covered it up. I think that is where the outrage comes from.

Old 06-14-2014, 12:29 PM

31,036 posts, read 22,064,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
Maybe, but I am not sure I would write the problem off to this. If you have a lot of keys on your ring, you still should not have to be worried your car will shut off, crash, and kill you in an accident. I think people have had a lot of keys on rings for years anyway.

Plus, it has been shown GM consciously went with a less substantial part to save pennies knowing it may be more prone to failure, then covered it up. I think that is where the outrage comes from.
Having been an Engineer for two Auto manufacturers, you would be hard pressed not to find correspondence and emails between Engineers, Designers, purchasing, management and suppliers justifying their positions for and against parts design and selection. This situation exists at all the auto manufacturers. Between the Toyota mat recall and this one, we are only going to see more of this in the future. The Government collecting the fines and the Lawyers will be be the only winners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Evil View Post
Oh please, this is the automotive equivalent of the DO NOT TAKE ORALLY warning on Preparation H.
A couple of idiots out there did something stupid so GM has to do a recall to make sure no more idiots hurt themselves.

Fargobound, the heater core goes out less than the turbos on a Ford Super duty. Of course on those you only have to remove the entire truck cab to access them. EVERY manufacturer has examples like this. Every. One.
Happens all the time. Some manufacturers truly send under developed vehicles to market. Daihatsu and Mitsubishi come to mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive