Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 02:25 PM

188 posts, read 250,206 times

Advertisements

OMG. No offense but was this like a mail-order wife thing? Because this whole thing seems really childish. She won't respect the laws of a country that she *just* got into? She's acting like a child. You know there are adult women out there, right.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2014, 02:33 PM

2,155 posts, read 3,592,511 times
Your problems with your wife would seem to go way beyond her wanting to drive without a driver's license. Another forum might be better for advice regards the terms of your marriage.

Don in Austin

Old 06-15-2014, 04:38 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,377,574 times
Speaking of children: my inlaw Ron and his wife, after a lifetime of home appreciation, a senior job with one of Canada's top banks, and a lifetime of responsiblity, bought their daughter a car. While mom went to get the insurance the daughters three friends show up and she takes the car out. That is, down the hill until a phone pole stopped the car.

With one girl pretty much hospitalized for life, one really hurt bad for two years of rehab, and no insurance coverage (the time difference was about thirty minutes) it meant the Ron and his wifes retirement was delayed and even with law connections his legal costs pretty much cost the house and their liquid assets.

I wouldn't leave keys lying around if I were you.

Old 06-15-2014, 06:25 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,701,421 times
Definitely no expert on this topic, Marlinfshr . . .

However, I have a feeling there could be serious "legal ramifications" for you if, God Forbid, your wife would be involved in an accident.

Remember, regardless of your relationship, you have knowingly allowed an unlicensed individual to drive your vehicle. In addition to the legal aspects, I have a feeling your insurance company would have a valid reason to deny coverage which could be a financial nightmare for you.

Just another one of those . . . NOT WORTH THE RISK scenarios.

Old 06-15-2014, 07:49 PM

3,702 posts, read 4,851,427 times
Went out last night and took my car but since I was drinking took a cab home. This afternoon I was too lazy to call a cab to take me to my car so i took my truck to work. Both are parked in the same lot. This evening we went to the same place to get a burger and as I drove past my truck she said "I drive car and you drive truck home". I went right into the "you need your license first" and an argument started. Once again I went over and repeated again, as I always do, possible outcomes. Of course her reply after rolling her eyes is "so and so does it all the time and has been pulled over and never had any problems". Once again I try to explain that an illegal who owns nothing and lives with false papers they constantly change has absolutely nothing to lose but a legal resident and citizen with a house, bank accounts and their own SS # has everything to lose. This is getting old.

Yes, she is depressed as she is in a new country and doesn't drive so she has to rely on me or her friends for everything but that is only her fault. Unfortunately, the only friends she is interested in having are the ones who are giving her totally wrong info. Again, they have absolutely nothing to lose.

Old 06-15-2014, 07:53 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,400,832 times
In no way should she be driving without a license, the financial risk in this country is great, as are the legal ramifications, should she be caught driving without a license. If there were to be an accident, your house, savings, etc. would all be gone to settle a judgment against not only an uninsured motorist, but an unlicensed motorist. She could also find herself incarcerated for offenses related to driving without a license. It may seem silly to her co-workers, but as you stated, they have little to lose if they do not have legal standing in the country, although they could be incarcerated prior to deportation for criminal activities related to their illegal/uninsured driving.

Moreover, as you pointed out it is a simple test of 20-25 questions that she needs to pass in order to get a permit. After she gets her permit, enroll her in a bilingual driving school. You are too close to be able to teach her effectively as it can affect the other aspects of your relationship, since she seems to be an easily excited driver from your descriptions of her practice sessions with you in the vehicle. When she passes her test, have her take advanced driver's training as well because it will really help her to become a confident, legal driver, since it can be difficult to do so as an adult for some people.

ETA: She may be using driving as a means to show that she feels that there is no control or freedom, hence the comment that you are paternalistic in your discussions with her about the issue. She will adjust to the US, and she will learn to drive. Be sure to tell her that you are not nagging her to control, or to spoil any fun, but to ensure that she is safe and protected, with the necessary training, that you are willing to help her get, so that she can confidently drive safely. Tell her that you are in no way judging her ability to drive, and that you know she will be a good driver, once she gets over the hurdle of driver's education, which is very important. The summer is a good time to enroll in class, and she may find that she can get the requirements completed quickly, especially if there is a bilingual program, as it may be easier for her to learn in her native language.

Definitely engage a professional to help her learn, and to give pointers in an advanced driving class, once she has her license. It will help establish a good foundation for a new driver, who is an adult, which can be more of a challenge. Be supportive, and tell her that you are happy to help her in whatever way that you can, and be sure to let her know that you are going to be so happy when she gets her license and can drive the car that you have, since it will be good for both of you. There should be online resources as well, where she can learn the material, and then take practice tests to prepare for the exam at the MVA, although I am not sure if there are any that are bilingual.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Last edited by bmwguydc; 06-15-2014 at 08:17 PM..

Old 06-15-2014, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
Moreover, as you pointed out it is a simple test of 20-25 questions that she needs to pass in order to get a permit. After she gets her permit, enroll her in a bilingual driving school. You are too close to be able to teach her effectively as it can affect the other aspects of your relationship, since she seems to be an easily excited driver from your descriptions of her practice sessions with you in the vehicle. When she passes her test, have her take advanced driver's training as well because it will really help her to become a confident, legal driver, since it can be difficult to do so as an adult for some people.
I agree. I have tried teaching her in a parking lot but I am the first to admit that I am not a teacher when it comes to this. Yes, I can give pointers and all but I have a hard time explaining. I do, i don't teach.
She picked up some from the drivers ed class but the class didn't go in depth on the rules and regs which are required for the learners permit. All other schools required a learners permit to take the class so that would have been gone over before. She listened to her friends and not me. I told her to get her learners then take the class. At that point she would be ready to drive with an actual teacher while everything is fresh in her head from the class. Oh well.

I just need to get her to study so hopefully if by some miracle or action from some higher power above she will actually let me show her some of these responses as well as some pages in Spanish and it just may sink in.

20 or 25 frikin questions!!!

Old 06-15-2014, 08:55 PM

1,384 posts, read 3,177,189 times
Have you tried the carrot approach? For example, promise to take her to a fancy restaurant when she gets her DL, or take her on a cruise, or buy her something that she really wants.

Old 06-15-2014, 09:21 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,274,757 times
You need to be in a marriage counseling forum, not an automotive forum. Your problem has little to do with driving.

Old 06-15-2014, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
You need to be in a marriage counseling forum, not an automotive forum. Your problem has little to do with driving.
Actually it has everything to do with driving as I am inquiring about the consequences of driving without a license. I want to hear if there are more then what I've already mentioned. I would also like to be pointed to the right web pages that may have more detailed info, perhaps web pages ion Spanish as well.

I'm sure my wife isn't the only one who thinks you don't need a license so perhaps it might get the point across to someone else if not her.

And BTW, I have stuck to an automotive themed topic, it just happens to deal with my wife, which can easily be substituted for friend, brother, sister, acquaintance, etc... to keep in the theme of this thread. A mere request for automotive related info and nothing more!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive