Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2007, 10:16 PM

31 posts, read 151,002 times

Advertisements

Believe it or not the best fix I've ever seen was removing the sagging fabric altogether.

I removed the headliner and peeled the nasty velour crap off. Then we painted the styrofoam backing with Fleckstone spray paint (it's urethane so it doesn't eat the foam). I picked a grey that went with the interior color.

It was amazing how many compliments I got on that headliner! Nobody could tell it wasn't the OEM unit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2007, 08:04 AM

288 posts, read 1,555,127 times
Spray on adhesive isn't bad if you have a spare set of hands to stretch the fabric.

Old 02-15-2009, 02:41 PM

1 posts, read 31,374 times
Buying the foam backed material and applying it with furniture fabric glue is the right way to go if you have such inclination.

A fast/cheap fix for my Geo Metro was a $12 rug at Walmart of the same color and two tubes of liquid nails, construction grade. I used a wirewheel to remove the foam from the cardboard is very stiff and coated with some kind of metallic liner.

Using the Liquid Nails I made lines round and round the middle then pressed the run into place and weighted it with books. Working my way outward I continued to add glue and books. When I got to the curved part of the edge I went ahead and cut off the unneeded portion of the rug leaving a couple inches of waste to trim away after the glue completely dried. I used 4 continuous lines around the edge to seal it there and clamped it with C-Clamps over foot long pieces of wood to clamp the sealed edge tight.

After 3 days I trimmed the waste edge away and cutout the holes for screws and stuff like visor and mirror. Putting it back was a snap and it insulated the car much better than the original liner. Looked better too.

Old 05-13-2012, 08:46 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,777,350 times
Not trying to revive a dead thread but thought I'd ask....since I'm in the same boat.

My 91 S-10's headliner is/was sagging, and to make matters worse, the styrofoam backing was cracked in several areas.

Now my truck is a beater truck but I do want to make it look a little better on the inside than it does now. I'd like to do it on a budget as much as possible.

I've wondered what my options are. Maybe a piece of carpet the size of the headliner? Has anyone tried carpet for a headliner?

Or can styrofoam be repaired once cracked?

Old 05-13-2012, 10:28 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,524,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
Not trying to revive a dead thread but thought I'd ask....since I'm in the same boat.

My 91 S-10's headliner is/was sagging, and to make matters worse, the styrofoam backing was cracked in several areas.

Now my truck is a beater truck but I do want to make it look a little better on the inside than it does now. I'd like to do it on a budget as much as possible.

I've wondered what my options are. Maybe a piece of carpet the size of the headliner? Has anyone tried carpet for a headliner?

Start off by getting estimates from upolstery shops. You may find you can afford their prices. It's not as expensive as some people think. They can do a better job faster with the correct materials. If you're determined not to bother with the pros, don't just rip it all out and don't do carpet. You need to get some form of insulation to cut and glue to the inside roof of the truck to prevent your brain from cooking. Try to use liner material that at least resembles your seats' color.

Old 05-14-2012, 06:53 AM

17,302 posts, read 22,030,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
Thumbtacks

or staples....

Old 05-14-2012, 06:56 AM

17,302 posts, read 22,030,713 times
Quote:

I had a headliner replaced in an 89 GMC S15 (same as S10) for about $100 back in the mid 90's. If you remove it yourself and drop it off at the shop it may save you a few bucks. Remove the visors and then it is a couple sheetmetal screws and the headliner drops down.

Old 05-14-2012, 07:10 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,224,595 times
I agree with all that's been posted. The only thing I'd add is that if you DIY, get the good spray adhesive. There are a couple 3M products that work well, but few others.

At the last car audio place I worked we had a guy that did all types of interior repairs. He'd come around weekly to drum up business, then do the repairs while the installers did their work. I watched him do a couple headliners. It's simple if tedious work. Just like when painting a car, the prep makes all the difference. Gotta get EVERY bit of the old headliner off the shell, or it will create a lump in the new headliner.

Unbacked carpet, like what is used to cover speaker boxes in car audio, may be a good option. It's stretchy, forgiving, inexpensive, and easier to work with than headliner foam.

Last edited by vmaxnc; 05-14-2012 at 07:23 AM..

Old 05-14-2012, 10:29 AM

4,237 posts, read 24,777,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
You need to get some form of insulation to cut and glue to the inside roof of the truck to prevent your brain from cooking.
Thanks. Most shops I think are going to want upwards of $70 or better. More than I want to spend. One thing though I did notice some black square looking pieces of materiel stuck to the underside of the roof skin...I suppose these are supposed to absorb heat?

Old 05-14-2012, 01:40 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,224,595 times
Quote:
Thanks. Most shops I think are going to want upwards of $70 or better. More than I want to spend. One thing though I did notice some black square looking pieces of materiel stuck to the underside of the roof skin...I suppose these are supposed to absorb heat?
Could be, but I bet they are there to dampen oscillation of a large steel panel. Same thing Dynamat does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive