Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 07:06 AM

28,660 posts, read 18,761,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
I grew up in the 50's and 60's and we guys in HS were divided into two camps........Jocks and Gear Heads.
I have a feeling young males have been divided into those camps since the dawn of time, if we also add the third category of "nerd/bookworm."

Back in the day, the divisions might have been hunter/warrior, engineer/toolmaker, shaman/astrologer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2014, 08:42 AM

4,068 posts, read 5,138,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almeida93 View Post
What are some basic things i should know about a car concerning maintenance?
You are not weird for not caring about transportation...some people are into their cars...some aren't.

As far as basic maintenance...I would look to your owner's manual and make yourself familiar with the Maintenance section. Checking/changing oil is simple enough, tire pressure and how to change a flat, head and tail light replacement...those types of things. If you do not want to get into the heavy duty maintenance that comes from car ownership...that is fine...there are thousands of trained mechanics out there that would love to take care of your car for you. Besides, many of our modern cars are becoming increasingly difficult to even do the simple things on. If you figure out your time/value ratio and find it is more cost effective to take your car to a mechanic...do it.

Old 06-16-2014, 09:18 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,942,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfrisco View Post
When I was younger I was a huge baseball and football fan. As I got older I slowly lost interest to the point I don't care at all any sports. I don't think that's weird.

To me cars a money pit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almeida93 View Post
Thank you for your reply gals/guys.

I got nothing against car enthusiast by the way. Nice cars are cool and everything. Even if you don't have the money but you are passionate about cars then that is your choice.

Even though i am not interested in automobiles. I feel like it is essential to know some basic things about maintenance. I don't want my car too break down over a simple thing while my girl is riding with me..and i have no clue what to do.

What are some basic things i should know about a car concerning maintenance?
One of the best things to know is how to change a tire, if you find yourself at the side of the road with a flat. It's quicker and easier usually to change the tire yourself than wait for somebody to come and do it for you.

Beyond that, you should know how to add oil and other basic fluids (windshield washer, transmission, steering, brake). You should know your car's basic maintenance schedule.

Old 06-16-2014, 09:30 AM

513 posts, read 541,038 times
In a word, no.

Old 06-16-2014, 10:16 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,805,876 times
Almeida93: I think you're actually in the NORM for younger guys under 30-35. Since I moved to MA about 10 years ago, I actually haven't met ANY guys who are interested in cars except for a couple guys on city-data . It's making it difficult for me to keep up with my hobby because cars aren't as interesting when you're the only person you know who's interested in them. It's tough when no one wants to listen to you talk about cars.

Old 06-16-2014, 10:36 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,855,804 times
There is nothing fun about changing oil. Tire change and jumping batteries are practical knowledge though.

Old 06-16-2014, 11:41 AM

I have no intention of performing surgery on myself, but I do make a point of researching medicines and procedures that are prescribed to me, including reading the "contraindications" all the way down to the bottom of the page.

I don't have time these days to do the auto maintenance I did back in the 80s--which included as much as a couple of head cylinder swaps and an engine overhaul--and I can't even do it at all on modern cars.

But it continually serves me well to have an understanding of what the problem most likely is when I take my auto to a mechanic and he gives me his report back.

Old 06-16-2014, 11:45 AM

12,966 posts, read 9,643,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
Almeida93: I think you're actually in the NORM for younger guys under 30-35. Since I moved to MA about 10 years ago, I actually haven't met ANY guys who are interested in cars except for a couple guys on city-data . It's making it difficult for me to keep up with my hobby because cars aren't as interesting when you're the only person you know who's interested in them. It's tough when no one wants to listen to you talk about cars.
I know the feeling, I can never get any of the guys on my current team to engage in any sort of car talk. If I see a really nice ride on the way to work or something new and I want to talk about it so bad, I would be just wasting my time because they could care less. I didn't have that problem on my old team where I had a few car enthusiasts to talk about cars, and we always had good conversations about everything cars as we work.

Old 06-16-2014, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
I know the feeling, I can never get any of the guys on my current team to engage in any sort of car talk. If I see a really nice ride on the way to work or something new and I want to talk about it so bad, I would be just wasting my time because they could care less. I didn't have that problem on my old team where I had a few car enthusiasts to talk about cars, and we always had good conversations about everything cars as we work.
OTOH, I've found a number of young women who have been very interested in learning about how cars work (even though they don't desire to do the work themselves) because they are aware of the stereotype of mechanics taking advantage of women.

Old 06-16-2014, 11:52 AM

12,966 posts, read 9,643,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
OTOH, I've found a number of young women who have been very interested in learning about how cars work (even though they don't desire to do the work themselves) because they are aware of the stereotype of mechanics taking advantage of women.
True, I have met a few of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive