Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2014, 07:30 AM

28,662 posts, read 18,764,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallybalt View Post
There does seem to be a generational gap with the younger generations growing more and more disinterested in cars. Why? The reasons are probably varied but I'm sure part of it has to do with that pretty much all cars are now "luxury" cars by the standards of even 1980s cars, people find cars tiresome and expensive to operate and maintain, there's more competition for our dollars, such as other hobbies or travel.

Cars aren't special anymore.
Cars are actually far easier and cheaper to maintain today than 1980. There's almost nothing to do for the first 100,000 miles besides making a 20-minute stop at Jiffy Lube twice a year.

And thus, in another thread we have someone questioning whether he should get rid of a car because it needed "major repairs," specifically new brakes and shocks. We're at the place that replacing routine maintenance items is considered reason to discard a car.

It's not much different from another recent thread in which a homeowner queried whether she shoiuld sell her house because it's ten years old and beginning to need some repairs.

It seems as though the concept of maintenance is becoming foreign in this culture...and that's actually indicative of a worrisome danger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2014, 07:38 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,401,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
What are you talking about? I spend zero time working on my car... Because it's so reliable.

It gets 16mpg on my commute, but that's only for 6 miles each way

Honestly it sounds like you're jealous of people who do things they enjoy. You're just muddling through your dreary life waiting until you die huh?
Six miles? That's only a 20-30 minute bike ride

Old 06-17-2014, 07:44 AM

2,668 posts, read 4,493,841 times
Nope. I'm a guy and could mostly care less about sports, same thing.

Old 06-17-2014, 07:58 AM

28,662 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Six miles? That's only a 20-30 minute bike ride
Depending on the road, the weather, and the traffic...it could be the last six miles a person ever rode.

Old 06-17-2014, 08:13 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,159,468 times
Not weird at all. I know many men that are not "into" cars at all. I know people who hate cars. They want to ride trains and buses.

I am not "into" manscaping. Or bodybuilding. Or shoes.

Old 06-17-2014, 08:40 AM

12,966 posts, read 9,645,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Depending on the road, the weather, and the traffic...it could be the last six miles a person ever rode.
Lol, that's true .

Old 06-17-2014, 08:40 AM

4,212 posts, read 6,899,912 times
I am a 29 year old male and a Mechanical Engineer (be degree and profession). Lots of people just automatically assume I am into cars and I really am not into cars at all. At work I have had several people comment that it was strange that I am not into cars - but this is coming from working with a lot of other Mechanical Engineers of which there is a higher percentage who are interested in automotive pursuits.

Old 06-17-2014, 09:01 AM

4,069 posts, read 5,139,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Black View Post
Fixed
Not really...like I said...it is a matter of time/value. If you feel paying Jiffy Lube $50 to change your oil rather than purchasing oil and a filter and spending 15 minutes to do it yourself...it is a matter of what you would rather do with your time. Of course sitting in a oil change waiting room does not rate high on MY list...it may be worth it to him.

Or maybe he doesn't have the tools or practical mechanical know how to change out brake pads or shocks...does it make more sense to have a mechanic do it or...like some of us...does it save us labor costs to do it ourselves? If the answer is "No" for him...so be it. That is why there are mechanics out there that will.

The topic of gouging on repair costs is a whole different thread...but if you find a good mechanic that charges a reasonable hourly rate and you don't want to spend the time or the repair is out of your ability level...use them. Not everyone is mechanically inclined...my brother in law couldn't even hang a ceiling fan.

Old 06-17-2014, 09:17 AM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
How you feel about cars are pretty normal these days especially with young people. My boys both in their 20s, do not share my passion for cars, they could car less.
I don't know why, but for some reason I really liked your typo.

Old 06-17-2014, 09:19 AM

1,161 posts, read 2,446,723 times
Depends on the car.

Expensive European models are not cheap to operate and maintain, as I can attest from personal experience. Once the warranty period is over, servicing and repair bills do mount up.

Because basic cars are easy to own and operate while offering most of the bells and whistles of luxury cars, there's little incentive among younger people to invest in a luxury model or be fascinated by them. The younger people I know who own luxury cars do so because they have the money and don't know what else to do with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Cars are actually far easier and cheaper to maintain today than 1980. There's almost nothing to do for the first 100,000 miles besides making a 20-minute stop at Jiffy Lube twice a year.

And thus, in another thread we have someone questioning whether he should get rid of a car because it needed "major repairs," specifically new brakes and shocks. We're at the place that replacing routine maintenance items is considered reason to discard a car.

It's not much different from another recent thread in which a homeowner queried whether she shoiuld sell her house because it's ten years old and beginning to need some repairs.

It seems as though the concept of maintenance is becoming foreign in this culture...and that's actually indicative of a worrisome danger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive