Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 02:37 PM

1,267 posts, read 3,073,730 times

Advertisements

I am not a nerd or anything. I am just not interested in cars. I am not even interested in what cars other people drive. I don't really think about a person's worth when i see their car. I am not even interested or feel insecure about what people might think about my car, which is pretty average.

I don't have nothing against people who are interested in cars. To me i feel like they see their car as modern day horses. They admire their car and take good care of it like people in the day used to treat their horse. All power to them.

I just see a car as a means of transportation. I am not really interested in buying expensive cars or customizing because i think its just expenses that are not necessary. I do think really nice cars are really cool, but just like cool tattoos, i would not want to waste money on it.

Am i weird?

I do however want to learn more about basic maintenance of a car. I know what you learn yourself the better, but what is the basic things that you should learn about maintaining a car such as changing the tires, oil changes, etc?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2014, 02:38 PM

45,337 posts, read 60,512,994 times
No, you're not weird. What brought this question about?

Old 06-15-2014, 02:41 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,338,536 times
What does gender and liking cars have to do with each other?

Old 06-15-2014, 02:44 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,824,867 times
no, you are not weird. you have your own likes and dislikes, just like everyone else.

Old 06-15-2014, 03:00 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,888,666 times
Well, especially if you are of a younger generation I would say that is not atypical at all. My nieces and nephews- early 20s have very little interest in cars, or even driving, other than a means of transportation. Folks of my generation, early 50s, especially guys, were much more car focused and if not tinkerers or tuners of them at least tended to know a good bit about many of the marques and models out there. And there were very few of us who didn't get our drivers license on our 16th birthday.

Old 06-15-2014, 03:00 PM

27 posts, read 45,651 times
I'm a 43 yr. old white male and my interest in cars had dwindled to practically ZERO.

When I was in my 20's, I was more interested in cars, although I was never a "gear head". I used to be into powerful car audio systems, which sort of flared my interest in cars to some degree.

However, I look at cars now as simply devices that take you from A-to-B. I suppose if I had a lot of disposable income, I might be more interested in buying a fancy sports car, but I don't waste a lot of hours thinking about that. I seriously doubt a guy like Jay Leno would have a huge interest in cars if he was just an average Joe with an average income, living out his fascination with fancy wheels by just reading Car and Driver Magazine. Serious car hobbyists are for rich guys with too much time on their hands and a certain amount of "Small Penis Syndrome", and you can only play so much golf before you get bored silly.

That's why I hope cars all become electric vehicles in the next 20-30 years. It will eliminate a fairly dumb hobby --- too many dudes wasting years of their lives worrying about how much horsepower their car has, or how fast it can do the quarter mile. They should be playing ball with their kids, or doing home repairs to please the wife. When you take the vows of marriage and the even greater vow of fatherhood, you can't just shirk those responsibilities by wasting thousands of hours on a set of steel wheels. Go watch the classic comedy "Ferris Beuller's Day Off" to see how one man's obsession with cars drove his only son to hate him like a vile enemy.

Humankind has much more important things to worry about in the 21st century than an outdated idea like an internal-combustion machine that rapes the Earth of it's precious resources and spews out poisonous gases simply to transport humans from here to there, many times for really dumb reasons!

Old 06-15-2014, 03:29 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,387,265 times
i loved cars when i was young, when 'back to the future" came out, I bought the toyota 4wd the next week. I still have it. its 29 years old.

but now, with the prices hitting 50k. i don't even know what that is going down the road. I lost interest not because i don't like cars but they have out market me, i know i could never buy a new car so i don't keep up with them

Old 06-15-2014, 03:38 PM

6,541 posts, read 7,121,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyrKat7 View Post
I'm a 43 yr. old white male and my interest in cars had dwindled to practically ZERO.

When I was in my 20's, I was more interested in cars, although I was never a "gear head". I used to be into powerful car audio systems, which sort of flared my interest in cars to some degree.

However, I look at cars now as simply devices that take you from A-to-B. I suppose if I had a lot of disposable income, I might be more interested in buying a fancy sports car, but I don't waste a lot of hours thinking about that. I seriously doubt a guy like Jay Leno would have a huge interest in cars if he was just an average Joe with an average income, living out his fascination with fancy wheels by just reading Car and Driver Magazine. Serious car hobbyists are for rich guys with too much time on their hands and a certain amount of "Small Penis Syndrome", and you can only play so much golf before you get bored silly.

That's why I hope cars all become electric vehicles in the next 20-30 years. It will eliminate a fairly dumb hobby --- too many dudes wasting years of their lives worrying about how much horsepower their car has, or how fast it can do the quarter mile. They should be playing ball with their kids, or doing home repairs to please the wife. When you take the vows of marriage and the even greater vow of fatherhood, you can't just shirk those responsibilities by wasting thousands of hours on a set of steel wheels. Go watch the classic comedy "Ferris Beuller's Day Off" to see how one man's obsession with cars drove his only son to hate him like a vile enemy.

Humankind has much more important things to worry about in the 21st century than an outdated idea like an internal-combustion machine that rapes the Earth of it's precious resources and spews out poisonous gases simply to transport humans from here to there, many times for really dumb reasons!
What hobbies do you enjoy?

Old 06-15-2014, 03:46 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,936,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
No, you're not weird. What brought this question about?
Maybe he read another post a couple days ago, in which somebody accused another poster of "weird **** " for mentioning certain personal attitudes.

Old 06-15-2014, 03:54 PM

12,966 posts, read 9,647,406 times
How you feel about cars are pretty normal these days especially with young people. My boys both in their 20s, do not share my passion for cars, they could car less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive