Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2014, 10:01 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,743,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Cool View Post
I thought I clearly established we're not talking about 80 year old garages here. In fact I thought I clearly said "Who cares?!" But just in case it's not marinating in your brain, let's go over it again in baby steps just for YOU!
Keep a civil tongue in your head when you address me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2014, 10:01 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,257,171 times
Quote:
System Message

Failure Unable to retrieve document

The document you requested could not be retrieved.

Please contact the site administrator to report this problem.

Look to the left of the page, the entire housing code is listed by chapter.

Quote:
LOL, yeah no reason to be annoyed. You just have to call the county and take time out of your day to explain that your neighbor is running a hotel for illegal aliens. No biggie.
Interesting comment coming from a guy who apparently has plenty time to come online to complain about people parking legally on a street in another neighborhood, debate the era of the McKinley administration in relation to the era of the first garages, express his hatred for people who allow their children to play basketball, and make unsubstatiated claims about San Francisco County housing codes.

Old 06-20-2014, 10:41 AM

864 posts, read 799,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
Look to the left of the page, the entire housing code is listed by chapter.
Okay, so what?

Quote:
Interesting comment coming from a guy who apparently has plenty time to come online to complain about people parking legally on a street in another neighborhood, debate the era of the McKinley administration in relation to the era of the first garages, express his hatred for people who allow their children to play basketball, and make unsubstatiated claims about San Francisco County housing codes.
I'd also have enough time to spell "unsubstatiated" correctly. Your point?

Old 06-20-2014, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Okay, so what?
So you can click on the chapters to find the section that says it's illegal to convert a garage to a bedroom. Your other option is to acknowledge that you have no idea whether it's illegal or not.

Quote:
I'd also have enough time to spell "unsubstatiated" correctly. Your point?
Or point out that someone else has misspelled it because everyone cares.

How about you post the addresses of a couple of these illegal garage apartments that annoy you so much? Unless you really don't know of any and it's really just the idea that someone might do this that annoys you.

Old 06-20-2014, 12:45 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Quote:
Who cares about 80 year old garages that no longer fit code? That's not the general population.
I bet there are more 80-year-old garages than there are 25-year-old or newer garages in this country.

Quote:
I love how all these hoarders and junk collectors come up with excuses to keep their junk sheltered.
My garage is pretty clean, actually. I'm just waiting for the next hazardous waste disposal event in my county to get rid of a few things. But thanks for your concern.

Old 06-20-2014, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
My garage is pretty clean, actually. I'm just waiting for the next hazardous waste disposal event in my county to get rid of a few things. But thanks for your concern.
Ah, the truth finally comes out! You can't park in the garage because you're hoarding hazardous materials! Better dump that stuff down the storm drain so you can get the car in the garage, otherwise you might offend somebody who doesn't live near you.

Old 06-20-2014, 05:04 PM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times
What someone uses their garage for is none of your business. The guy parking 5 cars in the street is worth complaining about, though.

Old 06-20-2014, 06:09 PM

120 posts, read 216,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
That's what people do. Some people like to use their car hole for storage instead of their car.
Yep, a garage is a storage place for crap.

Old 06-20-2014, 07:20 PM

1,935 posts, read 4,774,436 times
Quote:
I was visiting my sister's place the other week. She lives in a nice suburban tract outside of San Francisco in a wealthy community.

I parked in her driveway and I noticed every single parking spot on the street within 2-3 houses was occupied or taken, so I thought it was probably a party or other event going on.

Ends up it's not a party, just a neighbor who owns 5 cars (a mini-van, a wagon, an suv, a prius, and camry) and just parks them all in the street. The garage is full of junk, ping pong table, old boxes, a kayak, just messy. In their 3 car driveway, there's a basketball hoop, and it seems their kids use it as an area to play ball, or make chalk drawings. This is absurd. A home with 6 potential parking spots and none of them being used for parking.
What's "not to get" about this? They want to use the garage as a storage shed because they either don't have any other auxiliary storage, or the auxiliary storage they do have is somehow inconvenient or unacceptable for what they're storing... and they want to use the driveway as a recreation area for the kids. The street is available for parking, and it doesn't cost them any money to put their cars in the street. I have a garage, and I don't use it for the cars... though I do have property sufficient to park them without parking in the street. In my garage are shelves full of stuff, as well as my lawnmower, rototiller, and snowblower. That stuff has to find storage somehow, doesn't it?

Old 06-20-2014, 10:20 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,557,269 times
Quote:
I was visiting my sister's place the other week. She lives in a nice suburban tract outside of San Francisco in a wealthy community.

I parked in her driveway and I noticed every single parking spot on the street within 2-3 houses was occupied or taken, so I thought it was probably a party or other event going on.

Ends up it's not a party, just a neighbor who owns 5 cars (a mini-van, a wagon, an suv, a prius, and camry) and just parks them all in the street. The garage is full of junk, ping pong table, old boxes, a kayak, just messy. In their 3 car driveway, there's a basketball hoop, and it seems their kids use it as an area to play ball, or make chalk drawings. This is absurd. A home with 6 potential parking spots and none of them being used for parking.
Around here garages are often used like attached storage units.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive