Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2014, 02:45 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,265,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Cool View Post
So you don't think there is a difference between "illegally converting a garage" and "garage conversions being outlawed"? Interesting.
Most people are aware that "outlawed" is a synonym for "illegal."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2014, 03:08 PM

377 posts, read 532,955 times
double post

Old 06-23-2014, 03:16 PM

377 posts, read 532,955 times
Quote:
Hey, someone knows the Bay Area. Burlingame. Love the area, but I prefer living in SF proper.
If you aren't complaining about city parking, you either live in the Sunset, Pacific Heights, parts of the inner Richmond, or maybe SoMA, or of course, pay 350 a month to have a garage spot. I know you have heard of the SFMTA before...lol

Old 06-23-2014, 03:29 PM

4,625 posts, read 12,292,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
You're right, it says "illegal."

Nothing says "I refuse to give up but realize that I don't have a leg to stand on" like arguing semantics.
Quote:
So you don't think there is a difference between "illegally converting a garage" and "garage conversions being outlawed"? Interesting.
Maybe this can be clarified a bit. SF is notorious for illegal home conversions. Converting a garage without a permit is illegal and a building code violation. It also compounds an already difficult parking problem. People buy homes and convert them into 4 apartments, or whatever. Some of these conversion cause sever life safety issues with incorrect windows, doors, and ventilation issues.

I'm from the bay area originally, but don't like the city myself. Too many people for my taste.

Old 06-23-2014, 03:41 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,265,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
Maybe this can be clarified a bit. SF is notorious for illegal home conversions. Converting a garage without a permit is illegal and a building code violation. It also compounds an already difficult parking problem. People buy homes and convert them into 4 apartments, or whatever. Some of these conversion cause sever life safety issues with incorrect windows, doors, and ventilation issues.

I'm from the bay area originally, but don't like the city myself. Too many people for my taste.
I live in a town of 1000 people. It's illegal to build a deck or a playhouse, or even replace screen windows with double-hung windows on an enclosed porch without a proper permit. Needing a permit to make changes to a property is pretty common for most incorporated cities of more than a few hundred people.

But saying something is illegal, period, is not the same as saying a permit is required in order to do it.

Old 06-23-2014, 03:49 PM

4,625 posts, read 12,292,316 times
Quote:
I live in a town of 1000 people. It's illegal to build a deck or a playhouse, or even replace screen windows with double-hung windows on an enclosed porch without a proper permit. Needing a permit to make changes to a property is pretty common for most incorporated cities of more than a few hundred people.

But saying something is illegal, period, is not the same as saying a permit is required in order to do it.
Actually, you can build a 120 sq ft shed without a permit. A deck can be exempt if it's not attached to the house. There's a lot that can be done without a permit.

Chapter 1 - Scope and Administration

Of course the jurisdiction having authority can always amend the code.

Old 06-23-2014, 03:52 PM

39,868 posts, read 26,498,769 times
Quote:
Because according to my sister and one of her neighbors it's an eye sore.

Secondly, kids play in the street there, and the cars block field of view, and the cars being there make it much more dangerous for kids in the street.

Thank you for your concern!
Why are kids playing in the street? It's a street not a playground. Irresponsible parenting.

Old 06-23-2014, 04:44 PM

864 posts, read 799,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1w0n View Post
If you aren't complaining about city parking, you either live in the Sunset, Pacific Heights, parts of the inner Richmond, or maybe SoMA, or of course, pay 350 a month to have a garage spot. I know you have heard of the SFMTA before...lol
I live in a very nice area of SF where parking isn't a problem. I also didn't buy in the past 10 years so I was able to do it without selling my organs.

Old 06-23-2014, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Funny thing is, no one said "something is illegal period", you just made that up because you are an intellectually corrupt individual.

Old 06-23-2014, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
Actually, you can build a 120 sq ft shed without a permit. A deck can be exempt if it's not attached to the house. There's a lot that can be done without a permit.

Chapter 1 - Scope and Administration

Of course the jurisdiction having authority can always amend the code.
Damn, thanks for the info MrWilly.

Duster getting schooled!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive