Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2014, 10:10 AM

16,551 posts, read 19,703,819 times

Advertisements

We have an entire city full of people that do this. Drives me nuts. Why? Because my sister lives there and any time I go to visit I have to park a mile from her house. Meanwhile every driveway is empty or has one car in it.
Pet Peeve #345
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2014, 11:33 AM

2,888 posts, read 6,539,616 times
I have an issue with this also. The street should be used for overflow parking, for guests. It is a public street and it should be available for the public. Garages and driveways should be used to store vehicles.

We had a 2 car garage. We still managed to park 2 cars and 2 motorcycles in it. Our insurance gives a nice discount for storing our vehicles in the garage. If we couldn't have fit everything in the garage, we would have sold something to make it fit.

If the garage is filled with stuff: 1) use the attic or basement, 2) send the grown children all their crap, 3) have a garage sale, and/or 4) get a storage unit.

Old 06-24-2014, 11:47 AM

864 posts, read 799,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissNM View Post
I have an issue with this also. The street should be used for overflow parking, for guests. It is a public street and it should be available for the public. Garages and driveways should be used to store vehicles.

We had a 2 car garage. We still managed to park 2 cars and 2 motorcycles in it. Our insurance gives a nice discount for storing our vehicles in the garage. If we couldn't have fit everything in the garage, we would have sold something to make it fit.

If the garage is filled with stuff: 1) use the attic or basement, 2) send the grown children all their crap, 3) have a garage sale, and/or 4) get a storage unit.
That only makes too much sense.

It's much easier to annoy your neighbors and create an eye sore in the neighborhood by leaving all the cars in the street.

Old 06-24-2014, 11:51 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,273,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
Actually, you can build a 120 sq ft shed without a permit. A deck can be exempt if it's not attached to the house. There's a lot that can be done without a permit.

Chapter 1 - Scope and Administration

Of course the jurisdiction having authority can always amend the code.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Cool View Post
Damn, thanks for the info MrWilly.

Duster getting schooled!
What exactly am I getting schooled on? The IBC is a non-binding set of guidelines with no regulatory authority that municipalities may or may not base their local building codes on. I seriously doubt that any municipality has adopted the IBC in full as written. And the scope is pretty much limited to safety issues (basement egress, roof loads, etc.).

In the city where I live now I certainly can not build a 120 square foot shed without a permit, and a deck needs a permit whether it's attached to a house or not. In the city where I previously lived I could build a 10,000 square foot mansion with no permit of any kind.

Old 06-24-2014, 12:20 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
Codes, Statutes and Ordinances vary considerably.

My vehicles are always parked off street... growing up there was a time when we all had cars and at least one was on street.

It's the same right now for my neighbors... they have three driving teenagers so always have a couple of cars on the street... doesn't bother me... in a few years they will have moved on...

Parking in SF is in high demand and costly... personally, I don't shop or visit the city because it is not car friendly... can't spend an afternoon peacefully having parking anxiety!

When the Hospital expanded it was required to have 5 spaces per every thousand square feet of addition... 4 would have been about right...

Codes have changed and now it is 3 per thousand because it is located on a transit corridor...

Just an example of how code changes.

Old 06-24-2014, 12:45 PM

4,625 posts, read 12,296,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
What exactly am I getting schooled on? The IBC is a non-binding set of guidelines with no regulatory authority that municipalities may or may not base their local building codes on. I seriously doubt that any municipality has adopted the IBC in full as written. And the scope is pretty much limited to safety issues (basement egress, roof loads, etc.).

In the city where I live now I certainly can not build a 120 square foot shed without a permit, and a deck needs a permit whether it's attached to a house or not. In the city where I previously lived I could build a 10,000 square foot mansion with no permit of any kind.
All 50 states have adopted the IBC with their own amendments. These states then mandate local jurisdictions to adopt the state version, and possibly make their own amendments. Big cities make modifications, and some do not. However, the building official, and his representatives have the same authority as a law enforcement officer. Building, mechanical, electrical, plumbing, and fire codes are very much binding unless a jurisdiction chooses not to enforce it. This doesn't mean it's not applicable on a state level either. Just like the penal code is law, so are these codes.

If your city does not allow sheds it is because they want control over how things look. I do find it interesting that they would enforce such a rule on peoples own property. Even where I'm at in my HOA they don't dictate anything about sheds. I can't have a clothes line though.

Old 06-24-2014, 01:28 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,273,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
All 50 states have adopted the IBC with their own amendments.
I don't believe Kansas and Delaware have.

Quote:
These states then mandate local jurisdictions to adopt the state version.....
Not necessarily:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICC Website
Iowa is a home-rule state and local jurisdictions are not required to adopt the most current version of the Iowa Code.

Which is really neither here nor there anyway, my point was that municipalities with codes are pretty much universally more restrictive than the IBC.

Quote:
If your city does not allow sheds it is because they want control over how things look. I do find it interesting that they would enforce such a rule on peoples own property. Even where I'm at in my HOA they don't dictate anything about sheds. I can't have a clothes line though.
Let me rephrase and say that you need a permit to build a permanent shed. You can drag home a rusty, beat-up Craftsman shed and drop it in your yard without a permit so it's definitely about appearance. Not that they don't also have ordinances regarding appearance.

Old 06-24-2014, 01:32 PM

Who cares about Iowa not adopting IBC? That place is barely a state.

Old 06-24-2014, 01:36 PM

4,625 posts, read 12,296,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
I don't believe Kansas and Delaware have.

Not necessarily:

Which is really neither here nor there anyway, my point was that municipalities with codes are pretty much universally more restrictive than the IBC.

Let me rephrase and say that you need a permit to build a permanent shed. You can drag home a rusty, beat-up Craftsman shed and drop it in your yard without a permit so it's definitely about appearance. Not that they don't also have ordinances regarding appearance.
You are a very argumentative individual when pointed out you are incorrect, and you still are.

From ICC:

Fifty states and the District of Columbia have adopted the I-Codes at the state or jurisdictional level.

About ICC

This means it is state law, and even if not enforced it is still law.

Old 06-24-2014, 01:38 PM

Damn Duster getting schooled again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive